Post a reply

Tips

Postby Cannonball

Who uses what? Tips I mean. I heard Davis and Higgins are on Kamui though I'm not sure which Kamuii and which hardness? Is Ronnie still on Elks? I heard his tipper uses old pool 13mm Elks, that have been hardened on pub cues. This could be a fable of course. <laugh>

What tip does your favourite pro use?

What tips do you use?
Last edited by Cannonball on 17 Dec 2014, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Tips

Postby vodkadiet

Cannonball wrote:Who uses what? Tips I mean. I heard Davis and Higgins are on Kamuii though I'm not sure which Kamuii and which hardness? Is Ronnie still on Elks? I heard his tipper uses old pool 13mm Elks, that have been hardened on pub cues. This could be a fable of course. <laugh>

What tip does your favourite pro use?

What tips do you use?

Speaking of tips, when was the last time a player used a half butt?

Postby Dan-cat

I use Elk masters, because I heard Ronnie did too.

I use the half butt nearly every week, foolishly tried to p[lay a screw shot with it last time. I keep meaning to buy an extension...

Postby Cannonball

I love my Kamui Black Soft. More spin and stun than an Elk or Buffalo Plus, less throw than a GBL granite, and no reshaping like single layer tips.

You sand it into shape, then play it in for a couple of weeks, then reshape it again. After that, you don't need to do anything to it. Yes, they're £12 upwards, but for what it gives, there's no better tip in my experience. Davis uses one for good reason.

Talisman tips are good too, one a friend has on his cue (that I tipped) has lasted 18mths, great value. Less spin and stun than a Kamuii but very little shaping to be done at all. They can be played straight out of the box. Aurora are pig skin, multi-layered tips as well but they chip easily. Phoenix pig skin tips also chip and they don't hold chalk too well.

The feel of an Elk or Buffalo Plus in the balls is lovely, but they misshape too easily, so here comes the tip tool again - grrrr. GBL Granite tips need less reshaping but they tend to throw the white too much for my liking. I think the Buffalo Plus is the best single layer tip, nice spin, doesn't mis-shape too much and not as much throw as a GBL.

I haven't tried a Le Pro, so I'd be interested to hear what folk have found with them.

Postby Dan-cat

Great info Cannonball. I bought a really decent tip shaper from my club last week.

I wonder why the half butts have such a massive tip on them? Is this supposed to be helpful?

Postby ANGLO

Most pro's use the Kamuii med-hard tips, though I haven't tried them myself yet as I cannot justify the price tag especially as i seem to get through tips regularly.

Played with Talisman tips for around 18 months, consistent quality but I found that the layers can come apart after a while. Also I found that they lacked 'touch' in amongst the balls.

Now using Buff Diamond, not as consistent as Talismans out of the box, sometimes have to try a couple out before keeping one on but they have a far better feel to them. Wooldridge Super tips not bad either but I also found them inconsistent in quality. Same with Elk's.

Postby Cannonball

It's disappointing to hear that Wooldridge Supertips aren't consistent, as that's the whole point of the Supertip, to have something that plays like an Elk but doesn't vary hugely as Elks do. Some club players are also experimenting with other black tips that are said to play like a Kamui. That doesn't mean it will be exactly like a Kamui as it's only half the price but players seem to like them. I hear what you're saying about Talisman amongst the balls, I found that too.

I would say this Anglo, buy a Kamuii and try it. It may seem a lot but you have to try it, it could be the tip you're after.

Postby The Cueist

I have tried Talisman tips and I didn't rate them.

I just use blue diamond tips and I will try 2 or 3 till I get the right bite for stun / screw shots .

Some are as hard as marble and you can tell as them ones don't absorb chalk.

I get 18 months from these tips. and I swear by them.

They are also relatively inexpensive.

Postby The Cueist

Just to add , I use Bison super glue gel as it gives the tip some buffer because you cant buy wafers nowadays.

Just keepz the tip going through smoither on the harder shots.

You can purchase this for £3 quid or so off of Amazon.

If the connection between tip and ferrule is too hard and brittle then you will get unwanted side as the cue warps miniminally on impact.

The gel superglue gives the tip to ferrule connection some shock absorbing so as to eliminate that problem.

Postby Cannonball

The Cueist wrote:Just to add , I use Bison super glue gel as it gives the tip some buffer because you cant buy wafers nowadays.

Just keepz the tip going through smoither on the harder shots.

You can purchase this for £3 quid or so off of Amazon.

If the connection between tip and ferrule is too hard and brittle then you will get unwanted side as the cue warps miniminally on impact.

The gel superglue gives the tip to ferrule connection some shock absorbing so as to eliminate that problem.

Interesting point. I think a few cue makers have tried to get round unwanted side and throw with fibre ferrules, that are closer to the density of the wood and remove the hammer effect of the brass ferrule. Kirk Stevens famously used one, very popular in N. America. Need to take care with them though.

Postby ANGLO

Cannonball, I am gonna try out the Kamui tip, just to see what the difference is and I'll report back, I know many in the snooker business swear by them.

P.S...Just fitted a new Buff diamond on today, pretty hard, just the way I like them. If they were all like this one is I'd happily stick with them!

Postby Cannonball

ANGLO wrote:Cannonball, I am gonna try out the Kamui tip, just to see what the difference is and I'll report back, I know many in the snooker business swear by them.

P.S...Just fitted a new Buff diamond on today, pretty hard, just the way I like them. If they were all like this one is I'd happily stick with them!

Me too, I love that tip, lovely touch. It's the inconsistency that bugs me, like you. And carrying tip tools around, etc, for reshaping. rofl

Postby Prop

12 month thread resurrection! Thought I'd add my 2p anyway.

Been playing with Kamui black supersoft for a year or so. Overall they're really consistent, hold their shape well and they make a good positive contact. Plain ball shots or stun run-throughs feel great with Kamuis. However, I found that they glazed over really quickly to the point where you constantly had to nanny it to get it to hold chalk. At times I could feel it wasn't 'biting' the white on some deep screws or shots with lots of side.

Before the Kamuis I tried a Wooldridge super tip, and although it felt good it didn't take long til it basically started falling to bits. I'm not sure if it was a one-off dodgy tip, and I'd not be surprised if that was the case, but I didn't try another.

Going back years I'd always used Elk Masters or Blue Diamond, but these both got really inconsistent - some were great and some were terrible.

Which brings me to my latest experiment, Buffalo Diamond Plus. According to the blurb they're comparible to one of the oldskool Blue Diamonds. Got one glued up and in the clamp as we speak. I'd be surprised if they feel as solid as a laminated tip like the Kamui, but what I'm hoping for is that it holds chalk more readily and feels a bit more grabby. I just couldn't get on with the Kamui shining over like it did!