Post a reply

Re: Ronnie still hurt by losing the WC final

Postby SnookerFan

Wildey wrote:yea i think there was too much made of Steve Peters.

Just media waffle, aint it?

When Ronnie came back and won after a year out, the BBC was all; "Oh look, Steve Peters." Then when Ronnie got to the final again, they kept bringing up that Liverpool FC were working with him, and they were topping the league. They kept reminding you that he was working with both, and having success with both. And of course, England were taking him to the World Cup. Could England have the same success as Ronnie and Liverpool Football Club? :evilgrin:

Selby won The Crucible, Liverpool came second, cue a lot of internet articles about how maybe he isn't very good after all. :roll: Sometimes they just bring this stuff up when they can't think of anything good to discuss. It's not like Steve Peters was at the table playing the shots for him....

Postby Holden Chinaski

Steve Peters is not there to make Ronnie win matches. He's there to make Ronnie feel good and relexed and to put things in perspective. He's done a good job so far. I dont see Ronnie putting towles on his head or things like that these days. How many titles Ronnie wins or doesn't win has nothing to do with it. Ronnie still enjoys being a pro, and I'm not sure he would be enjoying it without Peters.

I'm sure coaches like Terry Griifiths talk a lot about sports psychology with their players as well.

On the subject of Alex Higgins, there was a time Alex tried to become fit by running and eating healthy. He would have talked to a psychologist as well if it would help his game. He probably would have won more titles if he had done.

Postby SnookerFan

Holden Chinaski wrote:Steve Peters is not there to make Ronnie win matches. He's there to make Ronnie feel good and relexed and to put things in perspective. He's done a good job so far. I dont see Ronnie putting towles on his head or things like that these days. How many titles Ronnie wins or doesn't win has nothing to do with it. Ronnie still enjoys being a pro, and I'm not sure he would be enjoying it without Peters.

I'm sure coaches like Terry Griifiths talk a lot about sports psychology with their players as well.

On the subject of Alex Higgins, there was a time Alex tried to become fit by running and eating healthy. He would have talked to a psychologist as well if it would help his game. He probably would have won more titles if he had done.

Spot on.

Postby vodkadiet

vodkadiet wrote:
Paddpotter wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:Snooker isn't a physical sport, so I guess you can equate using a 'Steve Peters' type to an athlete taking steroids.

Tennis is worse. Some of the entourages for these players regularly goes in to double figures.

I can't stand Tennis so can't comment but take your word for it! I did actually think it could be a type of enhancement like drugs but it's not something you could ever police. I think it's fine if someone like O'Sullivan chooses to do so but I personally could not enjoy my success if I did so myself. I'd be thinking ...well it's not really me?

In tennis they have so many advisors, psychologists, coaches, fitness trainers, dieticians, stringers, and beyond. Djokovic even employed a volleying coach for a while!

When a grand slam tennis event finishes, players always say I would like to thank 'my team'. It is meant to be an individual sport!

It takes away from the enjoyment from sporting success.

Postby vodkadiet

Holden Chinaski wrote:Steve Peters is not there to make Ronnie win matches. He's there to make Ronnie feel good and relexed and to put things in perspective. He's done a good job so far. I dont see Ronnie putting towles on his head or things like that these days. How many titles Ronnie wins or doesn't win has nothing to do with it. Ronnie still enjoys being a pro, and I'm not sure he would be enjoying it without Peters.

Alex Higgins barely ate anything. He ate like a flat jockey!

Postby TheRocket

Wildey wrote:I Honestly cant see him potting Selby off the table because when Selbys on form Ronnie wont see many pots to go for. Playing Selby he has to be extremely patience and bide his time and compete with safeties.

Selby's Safety play in that final was immaculate at times and now as World Champion his confidence will be right up there aswell.

I don't think, there is one player out there who expects to pot Selby off the table. Due to his style of playing he's probably the hardest player on the tour to get outscored .

Ronnie knows it very well but as a high scorer he's nevertheless belonging to those who have the best chances to do it, next to Trump,Robertson,Ding. But everything has to be inch perfect on that day.

Postby Wildey

TheRocket wrote:
Wildey wrote:I Honestly cant see him potting Selby off the table because when Selbys on form Ronnie wont see many pots to go for. Playing Selby he has to be extremely patience and bide his time and compete with safeties.

Selby's Safety play in that final was immaculate at times and now as World Champion his confidence will be right up there aswell.

I don't think, there is one player out there who expects to pot Selby off the table. Due to his style of playing he's probably the hardest player on the tour to get outscored .

Ronnie knows it very well but as a high scorer he's nevertheless belonging to those who have the best chances to do it, next to Trump,Robertson,Ding. But everything has to be inch perfect on that day.

Ronnies strength is not potting but when he is in stay in with great breakbuilding but to get in he has to be patience if he tries to pot difficult balls out of desperation Selby will know "I'VE GOT HIM"

Postby The Cueist

Really sensible and honest from ron as per.
If he dont make 6mor he dont make 7 this
Is the stand out pkayer of 2 going onto 3 snooker
Era's in the modern game..

Genius in skill and style of play.

Perfect tempo with speed of shot selection
Built in on way to next shot.

Spectacular when his aim is at potting is red hot.

Spectacular to witness and makes everything look easy.

He is a genius at the game , He will be back, He is too good not to.

Postby TheRocket

Wild

It's not like if you have to play cracking shots all the time.
At the end of the day, usually you'd say you have to pot one good long pot and if you manage it to stay on a colour, you have every chance to win the frame.

And If he pots a long one and makes a break of 80+ out of it which he has been doing many times over the last 20 years (more than anyone) , then it doesn't matter whether you play Selby, Robertson or Ding. But if you miss sitters and make positional mistakes like Ronnie did this year more than the last years, then it's no surprise at all that you are forced by Selby to play these long scrappy tactical frames and it's highy likely you're gonna lose then.

To put it briefly. Ronnie definitely shouldn't change his game against Selby and just play attacking and be the agressive player he' always been in his career and force his style of play into the game like he did at the Masters final. He has no other option.

Postby Andy Spark

vodkadiet wrote:No one is saying Selby win will 5 world titles. This was about O'Sullivan ruining his chance of equalling Hendry's 7 world titles. This result will not only have left mental scars on O'Sullivan but will have given the rest of the field confidence that they can go out and beat O'Sullivan. The sword is very much double edged in that regard.

In addition O'Sullivan is nearly 40.

Well, 6/4 with paddypower Ronnie not to win a triple crown this season. Fancy a flutter Vodka? ;-)

Postby Jester82

TheRocket wrote:Wild

It's not like if you have to play cracking shots all the time.
At the end of the day, usually you'd say you have to pot one good long pot and if you manage it to stay on a colour, you have every chance to win the frame.

And If he pots a long one and makes a break of 80+ out of it which he has been doing many times over the last 20 years (more than anyone) , then it doesn't matter whether you play Selby, Robertson or Ding. But if you miss sitters and make positional mistakes like Ronnie did this year more than the last years, then it's no surprise at all that you are forced by Selby to play these long scrappy tactical frames and it's highy likely you're gonna lose then.

To put it briefly. Ronnie definitely shouldn't change his game against Selby and just play attacking and be the agressive player he' always been in his career and force his style of play into the game like he did at the Masters final. He has no other option.

Missing sitters shows you how accurate you need to be. Even a 5 time world Champion is able to screw it.
It's no hidden secret Ronnie struggles coping with the tactical safeties and snookers as Selby takes you round the table. And in addition, a character like Ronnie with massive experience on the back can faint under pressure, while not feeling well and cuing comfortably, while anyone expects him scoring heavily and putting you in a snooker state of trance feeling with all these breaks, quick moves and disciplined focus on the positional play. I think, by not delivering on the point when it mattered and applying the ''play like it means nothing when it means everythin'' rule, it gives you insight in a human being and sport icon, who reacts somehow and actually fails.

Postby Wildey

Ayrshirebhoy wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:Looks like he's off on holiday again.

http://www.inside-snooker.com/snooker/2 ... ason-start

Oh well at least this time he's not world champion. Thank buck!

Yea i do think a World Champion has a level of expectations and commitment that he should undertake and not do what he wants.

it was ridiculous that he was even aloud to defend his World title in 2013 when he spent a year doing next to nothing as World Champion.

Postby Andre147

Holden Chinaski wrote:
masterdoctorgenius wrote:THAT pink still hurts. cant even wake up without thinking of it.

I hope you're kidding.

rofl <doh> rofl I too hope he's joking. Christ, if everyone were like him than Steve Davis would have long commited suicide by now.

Just get over it, it's history now and I for one couldnt care less, I laugh at that miss honestly, Ronnie will be back playing great snooker again, just chill out and relax. <ok>

Postby mantorok

Andre147 wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:
masterdoctorgenius wrote:THAT pink still hurts. cant even wake up without thinking of it.

I hope you're kidding.

rofl <doh> rofl I too hope he's joking. Christ, if everyone were like him than Steve Davis would have long commited suicide by now.

Just get over it, it's history now and I for one couldnt care less, I laugh at that miss honestly, Ronnie will be back playing great snooker again, just chill out and relax. <ok>

There's nothing you can say to this guy to stop the negativity, Ronnie will have forgotten about that final before masterdoctorgenius will have rofl

Postby cazmac

I agree with everything Ronnie said there. The fact is Ronnie doesn't like the negative play that Selby brings to the table it's like being water boarded to him. If Ronnie had to play Selby every day he would probably lose a lot of matches. Fortunately that's not the case and there are a lot of players willing to mix it with Selby and beat him at his own game. So Ronnie needn't concerned himself with Selby as Ronnie will be there or there about's for years to come ( if he chooses) but can the same be said about Selby???
Just my two bobs worth.

Postby SnookerFan

masterdoctorgenius wrote:THAT pink will follow me my whole life.

Why? Ronnie has won five world titles. Even a fan who only started watching two years ago would have seen him win it. He'll quite possibly win it again.

Is him not winning the 2014 World Title really that big a deal?

Postby mantorok

Wildey wrote:So Basically Selby scares Ronnie shitless

Selby has Ronnie's number, just like Higgins used to, there's always players that you struggle to beat, although to be fair they are both close on the H2H.

Bottom line is Selby doesn't bottle it when Ronnie gives him chances, unlike a lot of players who just crumble, Selby has balls of steel and really should be promoted higher than he is, he is an ambassador for hard match-play snooker and although fluent play and break building is good you need to appreciate the side of the game where having the balls (!) to clear up really is the way to win any match.

Higgins had this, and now Selby is carrying that torch and his fear factor will only go up.

It's a bit like when Ronnie won his first world title against Higgins in 2001, for Selby it probably won't get any better than what he achieved.

Postby Cloud Strife

SnookerFan wrote:

Why? Ronnie has won five world titles. Even a fan who only started watching two years ago would have seen him win it. He'll quite possibly win it again.

Yes, because it means Sourface's record is probably now out of reach.

Postby Andre147

Cloud Strife wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

Yes, because it means Sourface's record is probably now out of reach.

I don't mind that at all, it was always out of reach for that matter, if you told me in 2011 Ronnie would win 2 more World Titles, reaching the final of another in sucessive years I would have laughed at you pretty damn hard. Fact is he doesnt have anything else to prove to the game anymore, ok Hendry's record would have been more than nice but as you know I'm not one to dwel on things from the past, whats done is done, and everything from here is a bonus really. And who's to say he won't win another Worlds? I still think he may well end his career with 6, one of his major ambitions is to win one in his 40s and I think he can indeed do it, but if he doesn't he has served the game so well in his years as a professional, despite some of his antics but it wouldnt be the same Ronnie without them, same as Alex Higgins with his for instance.

So, all in all, despite obviously not being happy that Ronnie lost the 2014 World Title, it isn't THAT much big of a deal, life goes on, and at the end of the day it's just a bloddy snooker game. <cool>

Postby GreenRiver

I like Ronnie and was disappointed that he lost but, to be honest, I think Ronnie is coming across as a bit of a bad loser here. Good sportsmanship means being gracious in defeat but Ronnie can't resist having a little dig at Selby with his Chelsea parking-the-bus analogy and going on about what a negative player Selby is. Ronnie has won the tournament 5 times. Why does he feel the need to make snide remarks to diminuish the achievements of a player who has only won it once? Ronnie's criticisms of Selby's play may have some truth to them but personally I believe, however aggrieved you may feel, once the match is over you should draw a line and accept defeat and try to use your disappointment to spur you on to do better next time.

Postby vodkadiet

GreenRiver

I don't blame O'Sullivan for saying what he did. It hurts him to lose to Selby and it has affected him greatly. When he goes for a run, when he goes to bed, when he goes for a drive, he is forever thinking about the number 6. He sees a number 6 bus going down the road and he loses concentration for a minute. The sees a clock in Chigwell town centre chiming for 5 o'clock, and he thinks, 'if only that clock could have chimed one extra time'. He has images of Selby's winning fist pump going through his mind on a daily basis. It hurts him, and it a form of release to attack Selby's style of play. It is therapy for him.

Selby has done O'Sullivan twice at The Crucible after O'Sullivan has thrown away massive leads and it won't be until O'Sullivan has finally beaten Selby on snooker's biggest stage that he will be able to fully look forward rather than backwards, Therefore, we should cut O'Sullivan some slack here and understand his mental torment.
Last edited by vodkadiet on 09 Dec 2014, edited 1 time in total.

Postby vodkadiet

vodkadiet wrote:GreenRiver

I don't blame O'Sullivan for saying what he did. It hurts him to lose to Selby and it has affected him greatly. When he goes for a run, when he goes to bed, when he goes for a drive, he is forever thinking about the number 6. He sees a number 6 bus going down the road and he loses concentration for a minute. He sees a clock in Chigwell town centre chiming for 5 o'clock, and he thinks, 'if only that clock could have chimed one extra time'. He has images of Selby's winning fist pump going through his mind on a daily basis. It hurts him, and it is a form of release to attack Selby's style of play. It is therapy for him.

Selby has done O'Sullivan twice at The Crucible after O'Sullivan has thrown away massive leads and it won't be until O'Sullivan has finally beaten Selby on snooker's biggest stage that he will be able to fully look forward rather than backwards, Therefore, we should cut O'Sullivan some slack here and understand his mental torment.

Postby NNear

Unfortunate for Ronnie but what an outstanding result for him last night in the final of the 2014 UK Championship!!!!!

A great response from Ronnie and maybe there's more in the tank.

It's good to see that he's still winning Major titles. I doubt he'll reach Hendry's 18 or 7 WC titles, though.