Topic locked

Dafabet Masters Pre Tournament Discussion !!!

Postby Wildey

Image Image Image
Sunday 11th~Sunday 18th of January at Alexandra Palace, London

The Masters is the second longest tournament after The World Championship itself and was first played for in 1975 and won by the Late Great John Spencer.

In Total there has been 20 winners of the event in its 40 year history With Stephen Hendry with 6 wins and Ronnie O'Sullivan with 5 leading the way.

Who will win the 41st staging of this Great tournament?

DRAW

Round 1

Ronnie O'Sullivan v Ricky Walden
Stuart Bingham v Marco Fu
Barry Hawkins v Alistair Carter
Neil Robertson v Robert Milkins
----------------------------------------------
Ding Junhui v Joe Perry
Mark Allen v John Higgins
Judd Trump v Stephen Maguire
Mark Selby v Shaun Murphy

ORDER OF PLAY

Re: Dafabet Masters Draw

Postby masterdoctorgenius

dont underestimate ricky. already won a big major title this year. and he will be out for revenge for last years record whitwash. he will be up for it believe me. one of the toughest ronnie could have got

Postby AC or LT?

As well as the almost perfect first round draw (I'd have preferred Milkins v Allen and Higgins v Robertson as first rounders) there's some pretty cracking potentials - I've picked out my preferences for each:

Finals: Trump v O'Sullivan, O'Sullivan v Selby or Higgins v Robertson
Semi Finals: O'Sullivan v Robertson, Trump v Ding or Allen v Trump
Quarter Finals: O'Sullivan v Fu, Robertson v Carter, Ding v Allen and Trump v Murphy

Postby NNear

Nice.

My semi-finals choice from the bottom half would be a Selby-Higgins match-up with both in good form... Ronnie-Robbo from the top half.

Postby Skullman

Brutal bottom quarter. Judd, finalist of the last two big events; Murphy who has won two PTCs this season and is generally is great form; Mags, semi finalist at the UK; and Selby who hasn't done since Latvia but the Masters is basically his second home.

Postby NNear

And yes, can't forget I'd also love to see Trump reach the final and maybe even win it, though of course I'd love for Ronnie to win it.

But an in form Selby and Higgins could produce an immense semi-final match. On form you'd have to say Ronnie and Judd are favourites, but I find it unlikely that they'd reach three big finals in a row, including two Majors.

Postby SnookerFan

Rocket13x147 wrote:Masters No.6 for the Rocket!

Until he concedes one frame in a match, and all his fans start going; "If he loses this match, his career is over." rofl

Postby SnookerFan

NNear wrote:Which players are you a fan of anyway, SnookerFan?

Just curious.

I wouldn't say I have one favourite player. There's no one player I want to win no matter who they are playing. If two players I like are playing each other, I tend to just want a good match.

I like Ding, Robertson, Selby, Mark Williams. Despite the low rank, I've always quite liked Dominic Dale. Glad to see his Shanghai Masters win in 2007. Quite liked the look of James Cahill. I want to like Murphy, as I admire his matchplay, but he tends to spoil things by opening his mouth and giving opinions on stuff that are nothing to do with him.

I kind of admire how people like Mark Davis, Stuart Bingham and Barry Hawkins have improved since the Hearn era began.

I know I get a bollocking for being Anti-Ronnie on here, but I've never doubted his skill. I just didn't like his off-table shenanigans. Though, in the last couple of seasons I do believed he's matured as a person, and it's made him more consistent a player. He's finally becoming the consistent tournament winner that she should've been for more than a decade.

Postby Cannonball

SnookerFan wrote:
NNear wrote:Which players are you a fan of anyway, SnookerFan?

Just curious.

I wouldn't say I have one favourite player. There's no one player I want to win no matter who they are playing. If two players I like are playing each other, I tend to just want a good match.

I like Ding, Robertson, Selby, Mark Williams. Despite the low rank, I've always quite liked Dominic Dale. Glad to see his Shanghai Masters win in 2007. Quite liked the look of James Cahill. I want to like Murphy, as I admire his matchplay, but he tends to spoil things by opening his mouth and giving opinions on stuff that are nothing to do with him.

I kind of admire how people like Mark Davis, Stuart Bingham and Barry Hawkins have improved since the Hearn era began.

I know I get a bollocking for being Anti-Ronnie on here, but I've never doubted his skill. I just didn't like his off-table shenanigans. Though, in the last couple of seasons I do believed he's matured as a person, and it's made him more consistent a player. He's finally becoming the consistent tournament winner that she should've been for more than a decade.

If you simply said 'well done Ronnie' we might not consider you anti-Ron, but neutral. Afterall, this was a Ron with a fractured ankle, short of practice, aged 39 years. You congratulate other players but never Ron. Why?
Last edited by Cannonball on 08 Dec 2014, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Cannonball

Rocket13x147 wrote:Masters No.6 for the Rocket!

He's 555 but he will already be setting his sights for 666, the little rascal!

Postby SnookerFan

Cannonball wrote:
If you simply said 'well done Ronnie' we might not consider you anti-Ron, but neutral. Afterall, this was a Ron with a fractured ankle, short of practice, aged 39 years. You congratulate other players but never Ron. Why?

I wrote this morning on the UK Championship final thread that I expect him to win the Crucible this season, and also that I think he'll get at least seven world championships to equal Hendry. I also pointed out that with his talent he should be a 10 time world champion.

He's not a player I root for to win very often, but it seems silly to have the hump because I wrote a lot of positive things after his win, but didn't use the exact phrase; "Well done Ronnie."

Postby Cannonball

SnookerFan wrote:
Cannonball wrote:

I wrote this morning on the UK Championship final thread that I expect him to win the Crucible this season, and also that I think he'll get at least seven world championships to equal Hendry. I also pointed out that with his talent he should be a 10 time world champion.

He's not a player I root for to win very often, but it seems silly to have the hump because I wrote a lot of positive things after his win, but didn't use the exact phrase; "Well done Ronnie."

Fair play, I'll put you in the sketchy grey area then. rofl

Postby sundaygirl

Has anyone a link to which match is when so I can organise my annual date with SnookerFan :love:
I'm guessing Ricky/Ronnie will be on Sunday which is a shame because that's the worst day train wise :irk:

Postby Wildey

sundaygirl wrote:Has anyone a link to which match is when so I can organise my annual date with SnookerFan :love:
I'm guessing Ricky/Ronnie will be on Sunday which is a shame because that's the worst day train wise :irk:

viewtopic.php?f=534&t=5627#p349837

Postby SnookerFan

sundaygirl wrote:Has anyone a link to which match is when so I can organise my annual date with SnookerFan :love:

I thought it'd be Sunday, because the defending champion usually starts.

You wanting to go and see Ricky? I'm not expecting that he'll win, but you never know.

Postby Wildey

Book your tickets for 1pm Tuesday

Postby Cannonball

AC or LT? wrote:Looks like all the good matches are in the afternoon, bucking BBC - guess they're only covering afternoon sessions?

That must be sheer coincidence................... :weeds:

Postby SnookerFan

AC or LT? wrote:Looks like all the good matches are in the afternoon, bucking BBC - guess they're only covering afternoon sessions?

I have a week off. :D

Re: Dafabet Masters Pre Tournament Discussion !!!

Postby Cannonball

Anyone tempted by Milkins at 150/1?! Ronnie is 2/1 favourite with the main contenders at 8/1. Pretty much the same odds at every snooker event when ROS takes part really. Smurf at 16s and Bingo at 33s for the title look good value. And Walden at 4/1 in his first match seems quite generous (Ronnie is just 1/6 for that match).

http://www.oddschecker.com/snooker/the-masters/winner

Postby SnookerFan

sundaygirl wrote:I have ordered a Tuesday afternoon ticket #billynomates
But cannot order a Wednesday afternoon one to go with SF :|

A Wednesday afternoon match is sold out? I find that really, really, really surprising. Considering last year, I was able to book tickets for matches the day before I wanted them.

Postby SnookerFan

sundaygirl wrote:SF are you on a proper computer and able to try, because it does seem unlikely I'm on a phone at the moment

Yeah. Tell you what. I'll try and book us a ticket each to Wednesday.

I aint really interested going Thursday. So just leave any more bookings for the moment. I'll try and book Wednesday, see what happens.