Post a reply

Assess the current form of the top players

Postby NNear

I'll get us started just with a couple of thoughts in light of the recent UK Champs final.

Ronnie:

Still playing well but by his own admission in a recent interview, clearing up less and less often in one visit than he was doing 1-2 years ago. He has lost some fluency in his breakbuilding, at least as things stand and is not currently on the up. Having said that, he's still winning Major titles. I can't help but wonder if Ronnie is now slowly declining and will continue to have to cling on but these thoughts are inevitable when one remembers how long he has been a pro for, and it was only very recently that he produced some of the highest standards of snooker one could ever wish to see at the CoC 2014.

Judd:

On the rise in a big way. He's constantly speaking about wanting to improve, wanting to work hard and reach perfection and I think it's plainly obvious in how he's currently playing the game. Tactically he is continuing to improve, he's scoring very heavily and consistently and he's starting to find consistently impressive results on a tournament by tournament basis.

Ding:

Seems spiritually empty at the moment after his simply mammoth season last year. As good as his season was, he won none of what are typically considered the traditional Snooker Majors. He needs a pick-me-up emotionally -- the form is still there.

Selby:

He's gone through a lot recently (of very positive life changes) and has reached the pinnacle of the sport. It's hardly surprising he's having a letdown at the moment, though the question is: is it just temporary or did he reach the top of the mountain and he's going to steadily be on the way back down? I flip flop on Selby all the time. Sometimes I think his style is too difficult to constantly maintain and expect amazing results from and at other times I think his snooker base is so solid and his tactical vision is so outstanding, that he has a reliable platform to find good form for many years to come.

Re: Assess the current form of the top players

Postby AC or LT?

For me at the moment there's three classes of top players

The Superstars: O'Sullivan and Trump
The Greats: Shaun Murphy, Robertson, Allen, Ding
The Declining Greats: Higgins, Mark Selby, Williams

All of these guys have/are doing everything there is to do in the game and running business end of the tournaments regularly.

One of Allen, Ding and Trump will win the 2015 Worlds.

Postby Andre147

How can you say Selby is declining? Because he's had a couple of bad results recently? He became World Champ, at Ronnie's cost unfortunately, just 6 months ago.

Also became a father, not saying that is an excuse for UK Champs, but it played a part. Selby is still a major force and will be back in the winner's circle sooner than you may think.

Very surprised you listed Selby in there, Skull won't be happy <laugh>

Postby Skullman

I notice you missed out Robbo. He had a great start to the season, defending his Wuxi title and unfortunately losing in the final of his home event again. Had a bit of a weak period but I think he's on his way back to the business end of things with his semi in the CoC and he was very close to coming back against Dott from 0-5 here in the UK.

As for Selby, we'll see. First time champions don't typically do too well the following season and accounting for the new addition. Almost like Robbo actually, although his kid was about a week after his World title.

Postby PoolBoy

It'll be interesting to see how being World no. 1 effects Ding. Or inspires Ding!
I love the fluidity in the rankings now that they've changed to prize money but the one drawback is that with money (points) being 'dropped' as well as gained, a player can rise to no.1 even after a bad tournament - like what's happened here with Ding.

I remember when snooker started becoming popular in China, the question was asked whether a Chinese player would ever win the World Championship. A bit like will an African team ever win the World Cup?
For a Chinese player to actually now be at no. 1 in the rankings is surely a ground-breaking moment in the sport - but it's barely been acknowledged and it's passed largely without fanfare.

Postby Skullman

Well it is mid season when rankings can swiftly change and if followed the other thread, it's looking likely Ding will only keep the spot for a week and then Robbo will overtake again. Still, if he puts the work in season, he can still be WN1 and/or World Champion.

Postby SnookerFan

NNear wrote:Selby:

He's gone through a lot recently (of very positive life changes) and has reached the pinnacle of the sport. It's hardly surprising he's having a letdown at the moment, though the question is: is it just temporary or did he reach the top of the mountain and he's going to steadily be on the way back down? I flip flop on Selby all the time. Sometimes I think his style is too difficult to constantly maintain and expect amazing results from and at other times I think his snooker base is so solid and his tactical vision is so outstanding, that he has a reliable platform to find good form for many years to come.

Personally, I believe Selby's lack of form is just temporary.

He's just had his first baby, so he's going to be distracted. And parents of new children never get any sleep, so I would imagine he's always tired and not practicing as much as he should.

Often when a player becomes a father, their family takes priority. It's possible that now Selby has won the World Title, his last ambition in the game has been fulfilled and he'll concentrate on family. But I doubt it. He's too determined and dogged a player. Sooner or later, he'll be back to tournament winning form.

Postby Clara8633

AC or LT? wrote:For me at the moment there's three classes of top players

The Superstars: O'Sullivan and Trump
The Greats: Shaun Murphy, Robertson, Allen, Ding
The Declining Greats: Higgins, Mark Selby, Williams

You're saying that the 31 year old World Champion has declined along with Higgins and Williams :chuckle:

That's even less likely than ROS declining, which you also stated a while ago :roll: