Post a reply

Re: Consecutive Meetings in Ranking Tournament Finals?

Postby Odrl

What exactly do you mean? The same two players meeting in consecutive ranking finals?

In that case, the record would be two, on four different occasions. Steve Davis and Cliff Thorburn met twice in a row back in the 80s, followed by Davis and Hendry, Hendry and O'Sullivan, and most recently Davis and John Higgins.

Bound to happen again at some point. :-)

Postby Roland

With flat 128 it is less likely to happen I would say.

I think AC or LT was referring to Judd and Ronnie possibly meeting in Sunday's final following the COC but alas this doesn't count as the COC is an invitational event and not a ranking event.

Postby AC or LT?

Roland wrote:With flat 128 it is less likely to happen I would say.

I think AC or LT was referring to Judd and Ronnie possibly meeting in Sunday's final following the COC but alas this doesn't count as the COC is an invitational event and not a ranking event.

It only doesn't count officially, unofficially there meeting at two consecutive events.I'd always have thought during some players (White and Hendry, A. Higgins and S.Davis) periods of dominance, those two players would have met in more than two finals in a row at some point.

I suppose three in a row will happen one day.

Postby Wildey

I Think it is less likely today because of Attitude.

I Think today players think its harder to win tournaments so as soon as they do they go in to sleep mode and think well ive won 1 event.

Look at Walden he lost 6-0 to Bingham and Bingham did not play that well to beat him by that scoreline.

as Odrl said we have to go back to 1995 for the last time that happened even Before Maguire and Bingham was Professionals and Judd Trump was 5 years of age.