Post a reply

Best player yet to win WSC

Postby gcjdavid

We have many talented players on the circuit who have yet to win the Worlds, such as Jimmy, Ding, and Co. So, please discuss who is the best player up till now to have never won the WSC.

Contenders:
Ding
White
Lee
Maguire
Judd Tump
Hunter
Fu
Stevens
Other players to a high standard can also be discussed.
Last edited by gcjdavid on 01 Dec 2014, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Best player never to win WSC

Postby arnab9211

Jimmy White definitely deserved a title for all the talent he had. But I think, Ding is the most complete player to not have won the title yet. I guess it will come sooner than later.

Re: Best player yet to win WSC

Postby gcjdavid

SnookerFan wrote:Dominic Dale.

He was never ranked in the top 16, so he would be better off as a candidate for the best player yet to break into the Top 16.

Postby Clara8633

You can add Mark Allen and Barry Hawkins to the list. Maybe even Carter, who was twice a runner-up.

The only ones in the list who are likely to win the WC are Ding and Trump.

Postby SnookerFan

gcjdavid wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:Dominic Dale.

He was never ranked in the top 16, so he would be better off as a candidate for the best player yet to break into the Top 16.

Actually, I was being tounge in cheek, but actually he could be one of the most best players never to be in the top-16.

Postby Muppet147

The best player never to win it is Jimmy White. Apart from the six finals he lost in, he also reached numerous semifinals and quarters - only to come up against players like Davis who tied him up in knots.

Of the six finals, he could certainly have won three of them. He narrowly lost 18-16 to Davis in 84; then 18-14 to Hendry in 92 after leading 14-8; then there was the horrible choked black in the deciding frame against Hendry in 94.

Postby Cannonball

1. Ding, because he's won so many tournaments, break-build really well, and he's a bit older than:
2. Trump. Lots of talent, very exciting to watch. Loses the white ball too much, at crucial moments.

Postby roy142857

Difficult to know the level of improvement Paul Hunter could have had, but I think he's my choice as the most talented and I just can't see him NOT having won it at some stage if he'd still been with us.

I'd be surprised to see Trump fail to ever win a title, whereas although Dīng Jùnhuī wouldn't be a surprise to me winning the title, somehow I'd not be that surprised if he never did.

Jimmy White certainly had the opportunities, maybe should have, but I think Hunter and Trump were/are better players, so for me a top four - Hunter, Trump, White, Dīng Jùnhuī.

Postby TheRocket

Well, can only be the Whirlwind I suppose. From the current players it has to be Trump and Ding. If they weren't win it one day, it would be very tragic as well.

Postby Andre147

roy142857 wrote:Difficult to know the level of improvement Paul Hunter could have had, but I think he's my choice as the most talented and I just can't see him NOT having won it at some stage if he'd still been with us.

I'd be surprised to see Trump fail to ever win a title, whereas although Dīng Jùnhuī wouldn't be a surprise to me winning the title, somehow I'd not be that surprised if he never did.

Jimmy White certainly had the opportunities, maybe should have, but I think Hunter and Trump were/are better players, so for me a top four - Hunter, Trump, White, Dīng Jùnhuī.

Yeah I agree, I would actually be a lot more surprised if Trump weren't to win at least one instead of Ding not winning one, because you know Ding just doesnt seem suited for the Crucible for one reason or another. Who knows, if the Worlds moves to China one day than that will be Ding's best chance I think.

For me the best players are: White, Hunter, Trump and Ding, in that order. Trump may surpass Hunter and White if he weren't to win it, as for Ding, as I said above, I wouldn't be too much surprised if he never won it in his career.

Postby The Cueist

Well , I think Ding could possibly win it in the next 2 or 3 attempts.
If he hits the tournament in form like Taylor , Johnson and parrot, Murphy.
You know one of them years when a player has it in them to have the determination and form to do it.

I would be very surprised if Trump became world champion before ding to be honest.

I would agree that Ding does not settle in Sheffield or it seems that way.

He will do it eventually .

Postby TheSaviour

Stephen Maguire or Jimmy White. Probably Maguire.

Maguire is on collision course with O´Sullivan now with this UK 2014 (final).. Just like I predicted before the tournament..