Post a reply

Would you define Peter Ebdon as a legend?

Yes
54%
No
46%

Total votes : 26

Re: Would you define Peter Ebdon as a legend?

Postby Clara8633

AC or LT? wrote:Yes, he's a world champion, multi-event winner and one of the most determined and dogged safety players you'll ever see in action. He may play at a more relaxed pace than the likes of Robbo and Ronnie but he plays good snooker.

That's what I think too, so I voted yes.

Postby vodkadiet

No snooker players are legends. There are less than hundred people who have ever lived who I would class as legends.

Peter Ebdon is a very good snooker player, and more importantly he is a man of principles. There aren't many humans who I would say that about.

Postby roy142857

SnookerFan wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:No snooker players are legends. There are less than hundred people who have ever lived who I would class as legends.

Name them.

Rather agree with Vodkadiet, but then it depends on what you mean by 'legend' rather than how you view Peter Ebdon.

So 'no' for me as I'd adhere to someone being a 'legend' if they are still being talked of in awe 100 years after they're dead in places outside their original geographic/linguistic area.

So William Shakespeare - people in France thrilled at the re-discovery of an early copy of his work in a French library this year = legend.

Nearest thing snooker has is Joe Davis, if in China they are talking about his exploits on the snooker table in terms of awe later this century, he may just qualify! Rather suspect they won't be though.

Postby AC or LT?

roy142857 wrote:
Wildey wrote:There is a World Of Difference between a "SNOOKER LEGEND" and a "LEGEND"

Dont confuse that.

Yeah I agree - sorry Snookerfan, do you want to change the question so it says 'Snooker Legend' ?

I think the fact this is on a snooker polls board in a snooker forum rather implies the snooker part of the legend, even if it was missed out.

No-ones trying to say he's on the same level as the Wright Brothers, Martin Luther King Jr, Mother Theresa, Jesus or Captain Cook here.

Postby The Cueist

Alex Higgins , End of.
Smashedcop the establishment with his sherr sneering defiance of them.

He had the mental capacity to say to reak down their closed shop barriers.

May I just point out I would exclude the late great John Spencer and Ray Reardon from the controllers.

No the man was a fighter onvthe table and off the table

Legend.

Postby Cloud Strife

AC or LT? wrote:
roy142857 wrote:
Wildey wrote:There is a World Of Difference between a "SNOOKER LEGEND" and a "LEGEND"

Dont confuse that.

Yeah I agree - sorry Snookerfan, do you want to change the question so it says 'Snooker Legend' ?

I think the fact this is on a snooker polls board in a snooker forum rather implies the snooker part of the legend, even if it was missed out.

No-ones trying to say he's on the same level as the Wright Brothers, Martin Luther King Jr, Mother Theresa, Jesus or Captain Cook here.

Ronnie O'Sullivan is the only snooker player who wouldn't look out of place if you put him in amongst that list of names.

Postby Clara8633

Cloud Strife wrote:Ronnie O'Sullivan is the only snooker player who wouldn't look out of place if you put him in amongst that list of names.

He does look out of place. There are people who haven't even heard of snooker, let alone him.

Postby vodkadiet

SnookerFan wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:No snooker players are legends. There are less than hundred people who have ever lived who I would class as legends.

Name them.

Mahatma Gandhi, Martin Luther King, Mother Teresa, Florence Nightingale. You get the idea.

Postby Clara8633

vodkadiet wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

Name them.

Mahatma Gandhi, Martin Luther King, Mother Teresa, Florence Nightingale. You get the idea.

Does Beethoven count?

Postby vodkadiet

Clara8633 wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

Name them.

Does Beethoven count?

Yes, and Mozart, and Bach.

Postby TheSaviour

One good thing about Peter is that he certainly works a very hard. I personally think that a long-distance walking done on a daily basis may have some very good health benefits. Peter probably thinks the same about swimming.