Topic locked

Coral U K Championship Last 32 Discussion !!!

Postby Wildey

Image Image Image
Tuesday 25th of November~Sunday 7th of December at the Barbican Center in York.

World Champion Mark Selby was knocked out at the last 64 stage but theres Quality still there in the form of Defending Champion Neil Robertson aswell as Ding Junhui, Ronnie O'Sullivan, Judd Trump, Shaun Murphy, Mark Allen and Stephen Maguire.

Also there are Legends John Higgins, Mark Williams and Peter Ebdon.

Who will progress in to the last 16?

DRAW

Last 32

Neil Robertson v Peter Ebdon Ebdon leads 7-2
Robert Milkins v Graeme Dott Dott leads 3-0
Joel Walker v Stuart Bingham 1-1
Ken Doherty v Ricky Walden Walden leads 3-1
Nigel Bond v Anthony McGill Bond leads 2-1
John Higgins v Matthew Stevens Higgins leads 16-8
Matthew Selt v Rory McLeod McLeod leads 3-1
Ben Woollaston v Ronnie O'Sullivan O'Sullivan leads 2-1
--------------------------------------------
Ding Junhui v James Cahill Ding Junhui leads 1-0
Joe Perry v Mark Davis Perry leads 9-1
Fraser Patrick v Judd Trump Never played before
Rod Lawler v Mark Allen Allen leads 7-1
Shaun Murphy v Jack Lisowski Murphy leads 2-0
Marco Fu v Dechawat Poomjaeng Never played before
Mark J Williams v Stephen Maguire 4-4
David Gilbert v David Morris Gilbert leads 3-0

ORDER OF PLAY

Re: Coral U K Championship Last 32 Discussion !!!

Postby Wildey

Monday 1st of December

1pm

Nigel Bond v Anthony McGill
John Higgins v Matthew Stevens
Fraser Patrick v Judd Trump
David Gilbert v David Morris

7pm

Matthew Selt v Rory McLeod
Shaun Murphy v Jack Lisowski
Ken Doherty v Ricky Walden
Marco Fu v Dechawat Poomjaeng

Postby Andre147

So, streamded matches will be Trump v Patrick and Stevens v Higgins on afternoon and Murphy v Lisoswki plus Doherty v Walden on evening right?

That would be the most sensible decision anyway.

Postby Wildey

Andre147 wrote:So, streamded matches will be Trump v Patrick and Stevens v Higgins on afternoon and Murphy v Lisoswki plus Doherty v Walden on evening right?

i think your spot on

Postby Cloud Strife

Wildey wrote:
Andre147 wrote:So, streamded matches will be Trump v Patrick and Stevens v Higgins on afternoon and Murphy v Lisoswki plus Doherty v Walden on evening right?

i think your spot on

I'm sorting of getting tired of seeing the same old players getting streamed all the time. I wish the powers that be would mix things up abit now and again so that we get to see some fresh faces.

Postby Cannonball

For Ronnie, this is a bit like the Worlds. He had a dodgy but easy passage there while playing well below his best. We know why he's playing badly, the minor difficulty of playing with a broken ankle and the major difficulty of Jimmy being drunk at the bar next to the practice table, but............

Postby Wildey

Cannonball wrote:For Ronnie, this is a bit like the Worlds. He had a dodgy but easy passage there while playing well below his best. We know why he's playing badly, the minor difficulty of playing with a broken ankle and the major difficulty of Jimmy being drunk at the bar next to the practice table, but............

its not broken

believe me he would not be walking that good if it was broken between COC and UK.

Postby vodkadiet

Cloud Strife wrote:
Wildey wrote:

i think your spot on

I'm sorting of getting tired of seeing the same old players getting streamed all the time. I wish the powers that be would mix things up abit now and again so that we get to see some fresh faces.

Yes, I don't think Doherty needs to be shown. That really is living in the past.

Postby Andre147

vodkadiet wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:
Wildey wrote:

i think your spot on

Yes, I don't think Doherty needs to be shown. That really is living in the past.

it's not Doherty's fault his opponent is the one who won the IC this season, so the decision is a fair one.

Postby Cloud Strife

vodkadiet wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:
Wildey wrote:

i think your spot on

I would like to have seen Gilbert vs Morris in the afternoon and Fu vs Poomjaeng in the evening.

As you say, putting Doherty on a stream in the year 2014 serves absolutely no purpose at all.
Last edited by Cloud Strife on 01 Dec 2014, edited 1 time in total.

Postby vodkadiet

Andre147 wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:
Wildey wrote:

i think your spot on

it's not Doherty's fault his opponent is the one who won the IC this season, so the decision is a fair one.

That is true, but I would say if it was someone like Fraser Patrick or Ben Woollaston playing Walden that match wouldn't be shown. Walden isn't a big enough player on his own to get his matches shown.

Postby Cloud Strife

vodkadiet wrote:
Andre147 wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:

That is true, but I would say if it was someone like Fraser Patrick or Ben Woollaston playing Walden that match wouldn't be shown. Walden isn't a big enough player on his own to get his matches shown.

You're probably right, though to be fair, Patrick/Woollaston vs Walden would be a far more interesting match than Doherty vs Walden.

Postby Andre147

Personally I don't mind with this decision, but I do understand some new faces and those who don't get so much TV exposure need to be shown...

I guess these days they need to be "lucky" to have a TV match depending on who they play.

Postby Cloud Strife

Andre147 wrote:Personally I don't mind with this decision, but I do understand some new faces and those who don't get so much TV exposure need to be shown...

I guess these days they need to be "lucky" to have a TV match depending on who they play.

Unfortunately not everyone can play Ronnie O'Sullivan.

Postby vodkadiet

Cloud Strife wrote:
Andre147 wrote:Personally I don't mind with this decision, but I do understand some new faces and those who don't get so much TV exposure need to be shown...

This is statistically correct.

Postby Andre147

Cloud Strife wrote:

lol that's about the only garanteed TV match...

Although in some PTCs Ronnie's matches are not always shown on TV, once at the German Masters 2012 Ronnie v Stevens wasn't televised either.

You can count them on one hand though <laugh>

Postby Cloud Strife

Andre147 wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:

lol that's about the only garanteed TV match...

Although in some PTCs Ronnie's matches are not always shown on TV, once at the German Masters 2012 Ronnie v Stevens wasn't televised either.

You can count them on one hand though <laugh>

It's why other players enjoy playing Ronnie so much. They know by playing Ronnie they too will get a chance to experience some of the spotlight.

Postby SnookerFan

TheRocket wrote:Wild. Since when Ebdon is a legend?

Depends how you qualify a legend. I mean, he has won the World Championship and the UK Championship and has a career total of nine ranking events. Basing it on career achievement, you could argue he's a legend. A legend isn't necessarily somebody who has an exciting style that everybody likes.

Postby TheRocket

SnookerFan wrote:
TheRocket wrote:Wild. Since when Ebdon is a legend?

Depends how you qualify a legend. I mean, he has won the World Championship and the UK Championship and has a career total of nine ranking events. Basing it on career achievement, you could argue he's a legend. A legend isn't necessarily somebody who has an exciting style that everybody likes.

You're right but I think, usually if you ask most people, they wouldn't say that Ebdon can be called a legend. In my eyes, a legend needs to win at least two WC's and around another 10 ranking titles at least and UK+Masters titles are a must as well. Ebdon, in my eyes, is in a similar situation as Parrott who also won 9 rankers in total, the World and UK once but not the Masters. And overall that's not enough in my eyes to be called a legend.

From the current players, in my eyes Robertson has the best chance to enter the legend state but he must win another world. Ding obviously has a chance as well, but I really doubt that he can win two World titles. He of course has the ability, but he doesn't show it at the WC.

Postby Wildey

Players likes to pit their game against the best players being in the spotlight dont come in to it that What fannying about on Big Brother is all about.