Post a reply

Llandudno, North Wales to host WGP

Postby JDM375

World Snooker wrote:A major new snooker tournament - the World Grand Prix - will be staged in Llandudno early next year.

The event will take place at Venue Cymru in Llandudno on the north coast of Wales from March 16th to 22nd, 2015.

Created by World Snooker Chairman Barry Hearn, this new tournament will bring together 32 of the best players on the planet to compete for a top prize of £100,000. It will be televised live on ITV4 with a total prize fund of £300,000.

The top 32 players on a one-year ranking system running from the 2014 World Championship to the 2015 Gdynia Open will qualify for the tournament.

Hearn said: "This will be the biggest snooker event ever staged in North Wales and we are delighted to bring the sport to an area where we know we will get massive support. It's an incredible opportunity for the people in Llandudno and the surrounding area so see the very best players competing for a prestigious new crown - and a huge top prize.

"Tickets will be going on sale in July and the message is BOOK THEM FAST as they will sell out rapidly and we want to make this event a great success. I know the Venue Cymru is a superb arena and the atmosphere is going to be sizzling.

"ITV are building their support for snooker so for those who can't make it to the venue this is a valuable addition to our free-to-air coverage in the UK."

Ticket details will be announced soon - keep an eye on www.worldsnooker.com/tickets

http://www.worldsnooker.com/page/NewsAr ... 61,00.html

Re: Llandudno, North Wales to host WGP

Postby SnookerFan

"Tickets will be going on sale in July and the message is BOOK THEM FAST as they will sell out rapidly and we want to make this event a great success. I know the Venue Cymru is a superb arena and the atmosphere is going to be sizzling.

:chin:

Postby TheSaviour

SnookerFan wrote:"Tickets will be going on sale in July and the message is BOOK THEM FAST as they will sell out rapidly and we want to make this event a great success. I know the Venue Cymru is a superb arena and the atmosphere is going to be sizzling.

:chin:

:-)

Postby Muppet147

SnookerFan wrote:I am seriously thinking of booking a week off work to watch an ITV 4 tournament on the telly. Maybe this one? <ok>

Get on with your work. You can record the games and watch them when you get home.

Postby SnookerFan

SnookerFan wrote:So these tickets that were going on sale in July... rofl

Well, September is the same as July. rofl

Matches up to and including the Quarter finals are best of seven then....

Postby mantorok

Whoa what a build up to the WC, 2 big money tournaments in the form of the Masters and now the WGP.

Awesome news :D

(yes I know I'm late :john: )

Postby PLtheRef

Cannot understand for the life of me why we have a rest day in this tournament or the Champion of Champions. They'd be better off playing six matches Monday-Thursday to get to the quarter-finals rather than squeezing eight in and taking a day off. It's only two tables that need changing.

I can understand why they may take a day off for the UK Championships because there are eight tables and obviously need to in put the cameras when the weekend comes but other than that I don't see a need to take a rest day to cover 2 tables. The Welsh Open doesn't have one and that has 11 tables covering 96 matches in two days

Postby PLtheRef

JDM375 wrote:ITV request?

Maybe something to do with Europa League at a guess but it still makes no sense.

Postby Wildey

PLtheRef wrote:
JDM375 wrote:ITV request?

Maybe something to do with Europa League at a guess but it still makes no sense.

yea it must by at the request of ITV

Postby NNear

Just really pleased this event got the go ahead. It isn't quite as elite as the CoC but still rewards the highest ranked players and provides further incentives and motivation for those who aren't above the ranking threshold.

Will be looking forward to this event (and many others).