Post a reply

Steve Davis used to hate Stephen Hendry

Postby SnookerFan

Snooker legend Steve Davis has admitted that he hated rival Stephen Hendry when the Scot started to dominate the sport in the 1990s

In a revealing interview with Ronnie O'Sullivan, Davis said that he coped badly with Hendry's emergence as the game's leading player and "didn't even want to acknowledge he existed".

Davis said his 16-15 loss to Hendry in the 1990 UK Championship final marked the moment he lost his status as snooker's top dog, telling Ronnie:

"One minute I had all the sweets locked up in my own little sweet jar, the next minute they were spilled on the floor and Stephen had them all.

"For most of the 90’s I didn’t like him at all, hated him, hated the thought that he was better than me, I didn’t even want to acknowledge he existed. So the fact he beat me in that match look back, it was a big turning point. But that is your own personal problems, dealing with something like that.

"I think Stephen dealt with the likes of you (Ronnie) and John Higgins coming along than I did with him. He was quite philosophical about the fact that one day he wouldn’t be the best.

"Losing to Dennis Taylor (in the 1985 World Championship final) was a shock and it was awful, but I could get over it because I knew that I was better than him.

"Hendry played a stronger, more aggressive game that I had not grown up with and I didn’t know how to teach myself new tricks. My problem was ‘how do I cope with this new player playing this new aggressive game when all of my career I was able to wait for people to make mistakes?'"

https://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/ro ... 15322.html

Re: Steve Davis used to hate Stephen Hendry

Postby Andre147

Need to watch this last ES show from Ronnie a bit later on, but Steve saying that doesn't surprise me much, as he himself said, he played in an attacking manner never quite seen before, he created his own chances with brilliant long pots and brilliant pack openers from the blue, unlike in the past in Steve's heyday.

So yeah it comes to no surprise that he hated him in the 90s seeing him take the mantle as the greatest ever. Steve also used to absolutely hate playing Alex Higgins, but for different reasons as he was scared of him, but against Alex Higgins that turned to be in his favour as most of the times he met him he absolutely thrashed him and humiliated him.

A shame this Ronnie show has to end, some fantastic interviews he did there and I must say this show surprised me for how good it is. :hatoff:

Postby SnookerFan

Wildey wrote:theres nothing revealing in that interview lol

Heard it many times before.

No, I appreciate that. I was half expecting somebody to accuse me of posting old news. rofl

Just thought it might be of interest to some.

Postby vodkadiet

Davis still hates Hendry, hence his obsession with saying "Ronnie O'Sullivan is the greatest player of all time" in every sentence he mumbles.

Postby Wildey

vodkadiet wrote:Davis still hates Hendry, hence his obsession with saying "Ronnie O'Sullivan is the greatest player of all time" in every sentence he mumbles.

thats why i take everything pundits and commentators say with a pinch of salt. they have their own agenda and axes to grind like everyone else.

Postby The Cueist

And ipads are marmite for posting posts as the amount of times it just predicts what it likes.
I mean this pad I use just joins two words up predictive
Rubbish.
Another revelation for you all!!!!!!!! J!!!!!!!!!!

Postby SnookerFan

vodkadiet wrote:Davis still hates Hendry, hence his obsession with saying "Ronnie O'Sullivan is the greatest player of all time" in every sentence he mumbles.

That's all the commentators though. Virgo is worse for orgasming every time he sees Ronnie.

At least Hazel Irvine mixes it up a bit. She fancies Judd.

Postby AC or LT?

SnookerFan wrote:

That's all the commentators though. Virgo is worse for orgasming every time he sees Ronnie.

At least Hazel Irvine mixes it up a bit. She fancies Judd.

Not really sure what she seems in him. We need Sue Barker or Clare Balding presenting the snooker, the lesbian one not the one that shagged Cliff Richard back in the day, I get them mixed up.

Postby Cannonball

Haha, robot v1.0 hated robot v2.0, comical. Though v2.0 did add dour to the robot mix, to make v1.0 jealous rofl. The public relate to neither because they are one dimensional bores. That's why the public love Ronnie, Alex and Jimmy, because they're real people who've been through the mill of life, play brilliant snooker and entertain. The bots still haven't realised that snooker is about much more than simply winning.

As soon as Hendry realised that he'd been effectively retired by Ronnie, JH and MJW, he quits. He admitted that he only played to win. So Davis is superior to Hendry in my book, as he really loves the game. He has also developed an interesting personality. Hendry is just boring full stop.

But at the end of the day, who gives a buck, there's only one snooker genius and it ain't either of them two. rofl