Kurt Maflin
No votes
Player ranked below top 32
No votes

Total votes : 13

Re: Poll: Who'll win?

Postby Cannonball

ROCKET!

:pompom: :pompom: :pompom: :pompom: :pompom: :pompom: :pompom: :pompom: :pompom:

Postby Clara8633

I think Trump is very likely to win the title, but decided not to vote on him because I don't want him to win.

Postby The Cueist

He could and will win many titles when he grows up .
There was a gulf in experience between ron and him at the champion of champions final .

Robertson will be looking to do well , Selby , Hawkins , Bingham , Ding , Murphy , Fu .

This is hard to pedict for me , If Ron can get going from the start then he could do very well .

I hope he does .

Postby Clara8633

I'm also sure that Trump will win many more titles when he grows up. Hopefully by then he'll learn not to be a sore loser and stop boasting about himself.

Postby The Cueist

Strong feelings you express there !!!! J!!!

I rid have to grin when trumpy had to admit how good a player is and how tough he found the final.

I dont know about him being a sore loser biut I remember the boasting egarding ronnie at the uk a few years back.

Postby Clara8633

Of course Trump acknowledges other players' qualities etc, but then every player does it. However, he does meanly critisize some people. Concerning the 'sore loser' bit, an example was when Robbo beat him in the WC quarter-finals - he was upset about the loss so he said that if he was playing to his best, he could have beaten Robbo easily (and adding that Robbo's 100 centuries that season was not as good as a 147 O_o).

I really hope he improves his politeness in future. Even if he thinks his rude opinions are true, he shouldn't say them in public.
Last edited by Clara8633 on 22 Nov 2014, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Andre147

The Cueist wrote:He could and will win many titles when he grows up .
There was a gulf in experience between ron and him at the champion of champions final .

Robertson will be looking to do well , Selby , Hawkins , Bingham , Ding , Murphy , Fu .

This is hard to pedict for me , If Ron can get going from the start then he could do very well .

I hope he does .

My hope as well, Ronnie, apart frm maybe 2009, really hasn't done himself any justice at the UK Champs, it seems donkey doo years since he last won that title in 2007.

Postby Clara8633

But sportsmanship is very important; it's wrong for a player to criticise other players disrespectfully no matter what their opinions are.

Postby Clara8633

AC or LT? wrote:It's more disrespectful to someone to lie about and them and falsely flatter them.

Look at boxing, that's the kind of culture snooker needs.

So you wouldn't mind if someone rudely criticised Stephen Hendry, your snooker idol :roll:

Postby Andre147

Clara8633 wrote:
AC or LT? wrote:It's more disrespectful to someone to lie about and them and falsely flatter them.

So you wouldn't mind if someone rudely criticised Stephen Hendry, your snooker idol :roll:

Like saying "go back to your sad little life", Ronnie's words from 2002 prior to their semi match, although it was Ronnie's friend at the time the main responsible for this.

Postby AC or LT?

Clara8633 wrote:

Nope I'm actually suprised nobody publicly lambasted him with comments like "he's screwed off to China to play pool."

Postby Clara8633

Not everyone is as obnoxious as you might think.

Postby AC or LT?

Clara8633 wrote:Not everyone is as obnoxious as you might think.

But among 128 players there's probably a lot of bad blood that could be flowing around making those more mundane meetings more fun for the audience. We need a more enthusiastic, impassioned approach to calling out/rousing opponents.

Postby Clara8633

It might seem fun to you, but many people don't like having rude criticisms in snooker; so we really don't 'need' rivalries. The audience should be enthusiastic about the sport itself.

Postby AC or LT?

I enjoy snooker for snooker don't get me wrong, but if the players were more arseholey towards each other it would make the game more enjoyable. Look at any sport and you'll find some bad blood, snooker is too gentlemanly.

Postby The Cueist

There is nothing wrong with a nit of rivalry and it sometimes gets a match alive.

Non verbal in the pro game I think , Let the skills at the table do the talking .

If needle can motivate a player to blast their opponent sideways then a mutual respect for that type of player can exist.

I mean what good would it do to have them verbally sledging each other in a match.

I remember when ronnie was playing joe perry in the uk , 09 or 10 and ronnie was conceding frames as he was so frustrated in that match.

I believe Joe was saying a few things , I cant remember exactly what but it wasnt very nice and was not a mutual joke between them.
Just to say that if it was another player other than ronnie I would have felt the same towards Joe perry .

I never rated Joe Perry as having much integrity after that , Just seen him as a win at all costs kind of a player in my humble opinion .

You win with skill not verbsl in pro snooker and that is the way it should always stay .

Postby Vallomas

AC or LT? wrote:I enjoy snooker for snooker don't get me wrong, but if the players were more arseholey towards each other it would make the game more enjoyable. Look at any sport and you'll find some bad blood, snooker is too gentlemanly.

I actually like that there is this kind of gentlemanship in snooker, it makes it special compared to other sports. ;-)

Postby Andre147

Vallomas wrote:
AC or LT? wrote:I enjoy snooker for snooker don't get me wrong, but if the players were more arseholey towards each other it would make the game more enjoyable. Look at any sport and you'll find some bad blood, snooker is too gentlemanly.

I actually like that there is this kind of gentlemanship in snooker, it makes it special compared to other sports. ;-)

Yes Snooker and Golf two of the most gentlemanly sports around, ok there may be the odd situation but it's just an exception, not the rule.

Postby Clara8633

Andre147 wrote:
Yes Snooker and Golf two of the most gentlemanly sports around, ok there may be the odd situation but it's just an exception, not the rule.

Maybe it's because snooker and golf are both quiet sports, so the players are quiet too.

Postby Clara8633

Snooker is a great sport and therefore it wouldn't be very nice to watch inferior snooker players who love bickering with each other. Haven't we got enough 'bad blood' in this world, and you'd like to see it more clearly in snooker too?

Postby Snooker Overdrive

The UK has to be Ronnie's second highest priority this season, even more important than the Masters. It used to be his favourite major on the tour, winning it 4 times between 1993 and 2007. It's not that I would swap some of his Masters or World Titles for UKs but it's about time he wins this title again.

Postby AC or LT?

The Cueist wrote:There is nothing wrong with a nit of rivalry and it sometimes gets a match alive.

Non verbal in the pro game I think , Let the skills at the table do the talking .

If needle can motivate a player to blast their opponent sideways then a mutual respect for that type of player can exist.

I mean what good would it do to have them verbally sledging each other in a match.

I remember when ronnie was playing joe perry in the uk , 09 or 10 and ronnie was conceding frames as he was so frustrated in that match.

I believe Joe was saying a few things , I cant remember exactly what but it wasnt very nice and was not a mutual joke between them.
Just to say that if it was another player other than ronnie I would have felt the same towards Joe perry .

I never rated Joe Perry as having much integrity after that , Just seen him as a win at all costs kind of a player in my humble opinion .

You win with skill not verbsl in pro snooker and that is the way it should always stay .

Ignoring the fact that conceding frames you can still win pretty comfortably due to frustration is extremely unsportsmanlike. I wasn't saying that people should be bitching at the table, more like boxing where rivalries are part of the cut and thrust of the build up.

Allen's comments on Cao, that Ali Carter and Trump incident - they all liven up the game a little bit.

Postby Andre147

Snooker Overdrive wrote:The UK has to be Ronnie's second highest priority this season, even more important than the Masters. It used to be his favourite major on the tour, winning it 4 times between 1993 and 2007. It's not that I would swap some of his Masters or World Titles for UKs but it's about time he wins this title again.

Very well said SO, I would rather prefer he wins this title instead of defending his Masters one, it's just a long time without a UK Title so yeah that should be his 2nd main priority, if he wins it and then doesnt win at the Worlds I'll consider it a great year for him.

Postby Cloud Strife

Andre147 wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:The UK has to be Ronnie's second highest priority this season, even more important than the Masters. It used to be his favourite major on the tour, winning it 4 times between 1993 and 2007. It's not that I would swap some of his Masters or World Titles for UKs but it's about time he wins this title again.

Very well said SO, I would rather prefer he wins this title instead of defending his Masters one, it's just a long time without a UK Title so yeah that should be his 2nd main priority, if he wins it and then doesnt win at the Worlds I'll consider it a great year for him.

Before Ronnie retires I would like to see him win the UK, a sixth World title and an event in China. His career would complete then.

Postby Andre147

Cloud Strife wrote:
Andre147 wrote:

Before Ronnie retires I would like to see him win the UK, a sixth World title and an event in China. His career would complete then.

And then when he did it you would say a 7th World Title, tying Hendry, and so on....

His career is already complete CS, of course I want him to win more titles, but if he doesnt he doesnt have anything else to prove. <ok>