Post a reply

Re: Coral Sponsors UK

Postby Wildey

AC or LT? wrote:Yet another bucking gambling company.

Coral is the best and original snooker betting company.

UK Championship was Known as Coral UK Back in the day.

Postby AC or LT?

Wildey wrote:
AC or LT? wrote:Yet another bucking gambling company.

Coral is the best and original snooker betting company.

UK Championship was Known as Coral UK Back in the day.

Oh, it worked 30 years ago so it'll work now, great logic.

If we're going down that route how about we try and find some sponsors from slightly better industries, at the moment if even a slither of tougher regulation is forced onto gambling companies snooker is screwed up rubbish creek as a result, we need a sponsor from online retail, tech companies etc/

Postby Wildey

I Agree theres too much Betting companies but the Return of Coral is long overdue.

The UK Since the last time Coral sponsored the event it has gone down the pan.

get rid of Dafabet, Betfair etc but keep the good sponsors and coral is one of the most recognizable sponsors from the days that Snooker was almost on a par with Football

Postby Cloud Strife

Wildey wrote:I Agree theres too much Betting companies but the Return of Coral is long overdue.

get rid of Dafabet, Betfair etc but keep the good sponsors and coral is one of the most recognizable sponsors from the days that Snooker was almost on a par with Football

Oh yeah, let's hark back to glory days of snooker when Coral used to be a sponsor. As if that's supposed to make any difference in this day and age.

Aren't you the person that's always telling us we should look forward and not backward? And yet you're happy to see Coral back on board just because they sponsored snooker 30 years ago back in the "glory days".

Look, I'm happy the UK will be sponsored. Better another betting company than no company at all. But by putting all his eggs in one basket Hearn is showing himself to be abit of a one trick pony.

Postby PLtheRef

61 Frames were required to win the UK Championships when Coral last sponsored it.

46 Frames will be required for the 2014 Champion and that includes an extra match

Postby Andre147

Cloud Strife wrote:
Wildey wrote:I Agree theres too much Betting companies but the Return of Coral is long overdue.

Oh yeah, let's hark back to glory days of snooker when Coral used to be a sponsor. As if that's supposed to make any difference in this day and age.

Aren't you the person that's always telling us we should look forward and not backward? And yet you're happy to see Coral back on board just because they sponsored snooker 30 years ago back in the "glory days".

Look, I'm happy the UK will be sponsored. Better another betting company than no company at all. But by putting all his eggs in one basket Hearn is showing himself to be abit of a one trick pony.

Absolutely, was about to say the same. Don't get me wrong, this is great news and this is a great sponsor for the UK Champs, but as you rightly say it won't make any difference whatsover if Dafabet was sponsoring this for instance, unlike Wild says, it won't make the event gain more presttige, because that I'm afraid has been lost since Hearn started messing with the UK formats. Great news no doubt, but the event has lost credibility these recent years, and Coral won't change that.

Postby Wildey

Its not Barry Hearns fault the UK has lost credibility since 1992 whats happened since has just compounded that.

Regarding Coral your right however its a more credible sponsor than Dafabet.

Postby snooky147

Wildey wrote:Its not Barry Hearns fault the UK has lost credibility since 1992 whats happened since has just compounded that.

Honestly don't know how you can say that Hearn is not responsible. For all the good he has done he has reduced the credibility of tournaments with these ridiculous format changes. Yet another nail in the coffin of this sport.

Postby Andre147

snooky147 wrote:
Wildey wrote:Its not Barry Hearns fault the UK has lost credibility since 1992 whats happened since has just compounded that.

Honestly don't know how you can say that Hearn is not responsible. For all the good he has done he has reduced the credibility of tournaments with these ridiculous format changes. Yet another nail in the coffin of this sport.

In 1993 the Final was reduced to a Best of 19 format, but still this was a minor issue up until 2011 when Hearn had the brilliant idea of reducing all rounds prior to semis to a Best of 11 format AFTER he had previously said he would never touch the Worlds and UK formats. Then this year was the final nail in the coffin, with even the semis now being only Best of 11 instead of Best of 17, which would be minimizing damages.

Sory Wild but Hearn is also a HUGE responsible for the UK to have lost it's credibility, if the Final can't be over 2 days, at least he should revert it back to all Best of 17 rounds until the Final, but we all know he won't do that and as I said the UK's reputation has suffered a huge blow because of him.

I couldn't believe when I saw the semis were to be reduced this year to Best of 11, what next.... best of 9s rounds, hell, Best of 7s rofl

Postby Wildey

there is no doubt about it the UK Championship will go down as the Greatest Failure in Barry Hearns reign as supremo and ive told him that on Twitter.

But there was problems long before hearn took over and hes gone around trying to fix the problems in the wrong way again ive told him that will he listen will he buck.

Postby Cloud Strife

Wildey wrote:there is no doubt about it the UK Championship will go down as the Greatest Failure in Barry Hearns reign as supremo and ive told him that on Twitter.

But there was problems long before hearn took over and hes gone around trying to fix the problems in the wrong way again ive told him that will he listen will he buck.

You should have gone to his house and told him face to face. None of this Twitter rubbish. <ok>

Postby The Cueist

Yeh ! Should have played knock a door ginger !!!!!
Especially if his old mate The Nugget was vising maison hearn. !!!! J!!!!!!!!

Only jesting wild !!!!!!

It is a shame about the uk and how it has been reduced
To a quickfire tournie.

The original idea was that it resemb led the worlds in amount of frames accrued to win it.

I think it was a best of 31 final and a best of 29 semis and the other rounds and quarters were 19 frames.
I am sure I will be corrected.

What happened to it .
The beeb ?

As for sponsors dafabet sponsors nearrly everything doesnt it ?

The Coral name is great in a nostalgic sense but the tournament format is weak compared to what it once was.

I remember as a 13 year old watching Alex higgins battle back against the nugget from 8 - 1 down or something.

He just kept just doing enough and won it.
Great times , My dad who was bought up in Sandy row in Belfast loved witnessing it .

And it was the last major win alex had in top flight snooker.

I dont have a problem with Barry Hearn running snooker , I just feel the UK was denuded by tbe beeb
To fit in their scheduling .

Just that , What is Barry Hearn meant to do ?
Where I dont fully agree with Barry Hearn is the consistency in how match rigging pkayers are dealt with.
Severity of bans for instance ?
Based on pure hard evidence when in some cases it has been more solid and yet there is less of a ban for less solid evidence.

Im sure somebody who is multiple world champion should have shown better conduct and should have been dealt with more robustly in my humble opinion.

I am sure a lot of posters wont agree with that and a lot do.

Postby SnookerFan

Any sponsor is better than no sponsor, I guess.

Seems a bit worrying that we are reliant on the gambling industry, as look what happened when snooker was reliant on the tobacco industry.

Saying that, at least betting has more to do with sports than tobacco does. I'm not really a gambler, but I don't see them stopping betting agencies from sponsoring sport's contests.

So, better than nowt. Even if not ideal.

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:Any sponsor is better than no sponsor, I guess.

Seems a bit worrying that we are reliant on the gambling industry, as look what happened when snooker was reliant on the tobacco industry.

Saying that, at least betting has more to do with sports than tobacco does. I'm not really a gambler, but I don't see them stopping betting agencies from sponsoring sport's contests.

So, better than nowt. Even if not ideal.

In some european Countries betting firms are banned from advertizing at sporting events

a few years ago when Betfair was sponsoring the European Tour they could not display a betting logo in some countries.