Post a reply

Could there ever be a match with centuries in each frame?

Postby AC or LT?

I was thinking about this the other day. Does anyone else think that it's inevitable one day two players who are in the peak of their form will meet in the same match and make a century in every frame from long pots etc?

I reckon it'll happen in the next three seasons at a PTC final, anything longer than 7 frames and you start getting to many frames for that form to be maintained.

Re: Could there ever be a match with centuries in each frame

Postby Sickpotter

I believe it's been done in a practice match.

Ronnie and Jimmy played a best of 9 with a 5-4 Ronnie win, century in every frame. I believe it was at Ron Woods place during a great booze up.

Hard to see it happening at a event, chasing the ton can be done without worrying in practice but some shots just don't get attempted in a event.

Postby Roland

Funnily enough that was mentioned in Jimmy's chat on Talksport (start 13 mins) http://talksport.com/radio/listen-again/1415916000

Jimmy remembers it differently than Ronnie's autobiography which was 6-5 from memory (Ronnie says 11 centuries, Jimmy says 8).

I take the thread question to be a best of x with x frames played and a century in every frame. I think one day it will happen with the number of best of 7s in professional play these days. I reckon we'll see a best of 7 with 7 centuries in the next 5 years but a best of 9 with 9 centuries not for 50 years!

Postby Wildey

As Roland said a Best of 7 is a probability because players have momentum of no break but a Best of 9s or above the break will mean the Adrenalin would turn in to Anxiety and when they return the brilliance of the first 4 frames will be hard to replicate.

Postby Andre147

I agree with Sonny and Wild, I can see it happening on a Best of 7 match mainly because like Wild said there is no interval so the players are always on a hot streak if that was indeed to happen.

However I won't go as far as to say we won't see it happening in a Best of 9 for another 50 years, because who knows how the game will be like in another 10 or 20 years... It would be a slim chance but a possible one, but this happening in a Best of 11, well that won't be for sure.

Postby Andre147

Wildey wrote:I Cant see the game played to a higher standard than it has already been played to

Possibly, one could argue the highest standard of play we've seen came from the likes of Ronnie, Hendry, Williams, Higgins, Hunter, Stevens and a few others in that period between 1997-2004, so maybe you're right. But to say 9 centuries won't happen in a Best of 9 match for another 50 years maybe is streching things a bit, but there 's only a very slim chance of that.

Mind you though, we could see all 9 frames played and like 5 or 6 tons plus a couple of 80s or 90s breaks... Many of those breaks are as good if not better than some centuries that have been made.

Postby TheSaviour

Wildey wrote:I Cant see the game played to a higher standard than it has already been played to

:anyone:

Just wait until the UK Championships starts. O´Sullivan´s recent form promises something even much better me thinks..

Postby Wildey

TheSaviour wrote:

Just wait until the UK Championships starts. O´Sullivan´s recent form promises something even much better me thinks..

in your dreams

Postby Andre147

Wildey wrote:
TheSaviour wrote:

in your dreams

Ronnie cant play much better than what he did in the CoC, especially in the Final... but one can't expect him to anyway... I just hope Ronnie has a good tournament, obviosuly the Title would be ideal as he hasn't done himself justice there since 2007, apart from 2009, he really hasn't played well there since for some reason, so for me Ronnie won't go favourite for that title, hopefully he proves me wrong.

Postby Andre147

The Cueist wrote:One can only hope cant one ?

Hope that Ronnie plays better or the same level he showed at the CoC? In the early rounds he won't have to, but later on Ronnie will definatey have to be on his A game.

I would love if Ronnie showed glimpses of that form as he hasn't done himself justice at the UK since 2007, and the draw kinda favours him, but sometimes easy draws on paper can backfire on a player.