Post a reply

Four Last 128 matches to be held over from 2015/2016

Postby JDM375

World Snooker wrote:From next season (2015/16), the defending champion, World Champion and the two highest ranked players from the host country will have their first round matches held over to the main venue at certain overseas ranking events.

This will apply to overseas ranking events which use a flat draw structure, where players have to win one match to reach the last 64.

The loser of these held-over matches will be paid £2,000 by World Snooker as a contribution towards their travel costs. For the avoidance of doubt, this money will not count towards their world ranking.

http://www.worldsnooker.com/page/NewsAr ... 59,00.html

Re: Four Last 128 matches to be held over from 2014/2015

Postby snooky147

Taking anymore than 32 to China or Asia in general is just nuts. But there's no telling Mr Almighty Hearn as he showed in his tweet yesterday. If he thinks that's an acceptable way to interact with the players then the tour is indeed in trouble. He is an arrogant a**.

Re: Four Last 128 matches to be held over from 2015/2016

Postby AC or LT?

This is completely unfair protectionism and it victimises the Last 128 players who are likely to loose in having to travel half-way round the world to play a qualifying match. It's all about meaning the defending champ, world champ etc don't have to play cubicles - if you want a system where the people at the top are protected from having to play cubicles then bring back the old system at L32 stage or something, it did a better job. This completely flies against own promises of making the tour fairer.

Re: Four Last 128 matches to be held over from 2014/2015

Postby AC or LT?

snooky147 wrote:Taking anymore than 32 to China or Asia in general is just nuts. But there's no telling Mr Almighty Hearn as he showed in his tweet yesterday. If he thinks that's an acceptable way to interact with the players then the tour is indeed in trouble. He is an arrogant a**.

What tweet, I had a look through the only thing vaguely offensive was his him telling someone anonymous to front up their identity so he can investigate it, which is fair enough.

Postby snooky147

When Mark Allen posted to Perry to say why bother complaining, That Hearn will do what he wants. Hearn replied "so true". That is no way for a CEO to behave. He has no regard for the players under him. Taking 32 to China tournaments is the only way to go. 64 going over there and guarenteed 3 grand is nonsense. 32 travelling and guarenteed 7k is more viable for the players. But as I've said he does not give a toss about them.

Postby AC or LT?

The best way to do it would be start booking out hotels on block for the players to stay and pay the accommodation for the whole tournament, not just until their knocked out. That simple difference would probably help a lot of the bottom 64 players who are so severely disadvantaged by this con that was supposed to open the game up to them.

Postby Roland

I think it's fair enough to have world champ and defending champ matches held over, as well as the two highest ranked from the nation country. It's a commercial reality, we want the game to grow. I don't see how it's such a big deal, they have to play one more match than everyone else at the venue which isn't exactly an unfair advantage and the player who's drawn them gets £2000 expenses. Sounds totally fair to me.

Just look at the International with no Ding or Selby. That shouldn't have happened especially Ding at Wuxi which was always a tournament in his home town at the time of year he's usually there. This time he had to come half way round the world to play his qualifier in an event which wouldn't exist without him!

Postby Wildey

Snooker Overdrive wrote:This year's IC showed that this is a necessary change. The atmosphere was dreadful without Ding.

Chinese events lacks atmosphere full stop.

they are played in massive arenas with expensive tickets its a job to full them.

we cant think along the lines of a player should be there etc etc Snooker should rise above that it just makes the sport look cheap and tacky.

having said that i think its a good idea having World Champion and Defending Champion at the venue im not bothered about highest rank nation players or Wild Cards all that bullocks is out dated in china.

Postby PLtheRef

Like Wildey said, the attendance for tournaments in China have never enjoyed the greatest of attendance, even when the tournaments held the 32+8 finalists system with the top 16 seeds qualifying by right so it's hard to judge how much of an effect the defeats by Ding in the early stages of the tournament have had an effect on attendances.

Looking at the proposals, I'd rather have four first round matches involving the defending champion, world champion highest ranked home player and one other, than have four or eight players having to win through to the second round twice to accommodate local players. Only eyebrow I would raise is playing each day of the tournament.

Postby Wildey

Cloud Strife wrote:Ronnie should be amongst those to have their matches held over no matter where he is ranked. It's makes commercial sense, I'm sure Hearn would agree.

Go to sleep <doh>

:limp: :limp: :limp:

Postby Cloud Strife

Wildey wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:Ronnie should be amongst those to have their matches held over no matter where he is ranked. It's makes commercial sense, I'm sure Hearn would agree.

Go to sleep <doh>

I care about snooker's future financial stability. You clearly don't. <ok>

Postby Clara8633

Cloud Strife wrote:
Wildey wrote:

Go to sleep <doh>

It would be biased and unfair.

Postby Wildey

Cloud Strife wrote:
Wildey wrote:

Go to sleep <doh>

Ronnie is 39 if hes the future then there's a massive problem.

Postby Andy Spark

I recall John Virgo saying that the original 128 flat system that sent the top players to qualifiers was "nonsense". He said that the best players would find it difficult to play at their best in a cubicle in front of one man and his dog. Virgo was right, you need crowd atmosphere to produce your best, however IMO the original system was more unfair than this compromise.