Topic locked

Postcard from the Crucible media room

Postby Monique

Poscard from the media room...

The tournament is well under way and today we are entering round 2 already. This morning there is no snooker and I thought I'd take the “spare time” to share some of my experience here as a “media” person. It's been absolutely fantastic and I'd want to thank Grove Leisure and WPBSA for giving me this opportunity.

The very first thing I want to stress is how friendly the atmosphere is, especially considering that everyone is working extremely long hours under high stress. WPBSA officials are really helpful and work their utter best to give the media all the support they need, with a smile. They are working from 8h 30 around till the last ball is potted or press conference is over and that makes it 15-16 hours long days. There is a lot of “unseen work” to be done. Clive Everton is often the first one to arrive and his first “task” is to go through the newspaper for every snippet of interesting news... Press cutting and building the “tournament wall” is one of those little things that are in fact great assets to the tournament.

The chinese media presence is quite strong and there is a permanent interpreter around to help with interviews and press conferences.

The technical staff are busy all the time, making sure everything is fine. There is a hell of a lot to do in fact. This goes from repairing the carpet to making sure the commentary boxes are in perfect working order, the tables are up to standard, the venue is clean and welcoming, the security aspects are covered in efficient but discrete way and last but not least ... everyone is well fed (we are!) and get a proper supply of well needed coffee! Peter Ebdon yesterday, during his press conference, stressed how good the conditions have been this season, but expressed regrets that, for this event, the cushions, especially on table 2, were extremely bouncy. Well, this morning, very early this morning actually, after the matches, the fitters worked to “recushion” the tables in preparation for round 2. So hopefully that should be fixed.

One busy guy is Rob Walker. For each and every intro he's preparing his little “tips” on paper looking for interesting and amusing details before going into the arena. No wonder he's so lean (not skinny ... ;) ) he's moving, running and buzzing 25h a day if not more!

Another aspect that needs to be highlighted is how much work the referees and the tournament director actually do. Before, during and after the matches. Their job is extremely demanding and I wish they would be put a bit more in the limelight as “characters” in the game because they are real characters. Most of them have another job. They can't make a living on refereeing in snooker. This is called passion. Hats off guys!

The Crucible theatre is actually quite a small venue and I think it comes to a surprise to everyone coming here for the first time how “intimate” it is in fact. It looks much bigger on television. Everything is “small”... including the cubicles for the photographers. For Ronnie vs Liang's match we were literally cramped in there like herrings in a can and it was so hot you'd think you were at the sauna! Mind you dew was forming on the lenses at one point!

Barry Hearn was here yesterday to “promote” his new “World Open” tournament. In fact we get a “champagne moment” every day, with announcements about new deals, projects, new or enhanced events and work in progress. Nice relaxed way to handle promotion of the sport!

Finally I have to say a word about the sponsor, Betfred, doing a great job to bring some fun into the event. Every day we get small “prediction” competitions to play in for a bottle of bubbles or a free bet. Lots of fun and until now Victoria, the chinese interpreter, has been the overall grand winner.

You guessed it. I've fun!

Re: Postcard from the Crucible media room

Postby Roland

Great report there Monique about what it's like behind the scenes. Who is in charge of live scoring on the World Snooker website and do they ever check it to make sure it's working?

And what's the behind the scenes vibe on Barry Hearn?

Postby Wildey

Monique wrote:Vibe is very positive ... very!

have you herd any negative coments from anyone at all ?

Postby Monique

The only one who expressed strong reservations is Peter Ebdon during his press conference. He actually said that he thought Barry's plans for the game were absolutely great and he would back him if it wasn't for the 51% shares that BH wants. That for Ebdon is a big issue. He would not see any problem for Barry to take a "healthy commission" on any new deal he brings, it's the control issue that bothers him.

Postby Wildey

Monique wrote:The only one who expressed strong reservations is Peter Ebdon during his press conference. He actually said that he thought Barry's plans for the game were absolutely great and he would back him if it wasn't for the 51% shares that BH wants. That for Ebdon is a big issue. He would not see any problem for Barry to take a "healthy commission" on any new deal he brings, it's the control issue that bothers him.

i dont get why thats such a big issue ?

its all about doing the best on the table as players in as many tournaments as possible... the players got control half of them cant be bothered and the other half don't know what to do with it.

Postby SnookerFan

wildJONESEYE wrote:
Monique wrote:The only one who expressed strong reservations is Peter Ebdon during his press conference. He actually said that he thought Barry's plans for the game were absolutely great and he would back him if it wasn't for the 51% shares that BH wants. That for Ebdon is a big issue. He would not see any problem for Barry to take a "healthy commission" on any new deal he brings, it's the control issue that bothers him.

its all about doing the best on the table as players in as many tournaments as possible... the players got control half of them cant be bothered and the other half don't know what to do with it.

It wasn't that long ago you were worried that Barry Hearn was going to take his cut from snooker, and didn't give a buck about the sport. <doh>

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:
wildJONESEYE wrote:

It wasn't that long ago you were worried that Barry Hearn was going to take his cut from snooker, and didn't give a buck about the sport. <doh>

i was concerned yes but when i thought about it what else has been happening for donkeys with board members bleeding us dry including Ebdon.

it cant be worst and with less people in charge it could be better.

despite its better having one man in charge.

Postby Monique

Just back from Shaun Murphy's press conference.
In a nutshell he's 100% backing Hearn. Asked what he thought about Ebdon's concerns he said the game has been run this way for 34 years and gone nowhere. If Barry takes control and can lead it somewhere, he's all for it.

Postby Casey

Monique wrote:Just back from Shaun Murphy's press conference.
In a nutshell he's 100% backing Hearn. Asked what he thought about Ebdon's concerns he said the game has been run this way for 34 years and gone nowhere. If Barry takes control and can lead it somewhere, he's all for it.

Ebbo on his own <laugh>

Postby GJ

case_master wc wrote:

Ebbo on his own <laugh>

and MC Davis

Postby Monique

Sonny wrote:Impressed if that's the case by Murphy. I thought he'd be with Ebbo.

Why? Shaun's manager is Brandon Parker who's a member of the board and pro Hearn.

Postby Roland

Just because of Murphy's history of sucking up to the board and the fact his old man used to be on it.

Postby Smart

case_master wc wrote:

Ebbo on his own <laugh>

rofl

Monique - great to have your behind the scenes insight. I saw you scrambling around a few times, you looked real busy in there. <ok>

Postby Roland

Monique was the photographer wearing the pink Snooker Island t-shirt in full view of the Crucible crowd on Sunday <cool>

Postby SnookerFan

Sonny wrote:Monique was the photographer wearing the pink Snooker Island t-shirt in full view of the Crucible crowd on Sunday <cool>

Really? Bloody hell, shows how observant I am. I didn't even notice any of the photographers, and certainly didn't notice one of them was wearing a Snooker Island T-Shirt. And I was in the crowd. Good on her!

I spent a lot of time staring in that direction as well, thinking what a hammer that CJ was. <laugh>

Postby N_Castle07

Welly Welly Welly ..........and the man got branded a anti-hearn with no evidance what so ever. Classic case of putting words in someone's mouth. And out of every player who has promoted Hearn, Hendry, O'Sullivan, Williams ect Murphy has produced the best and most valid point of them all

Asked what he thought about Ebdon's concerns he said "The game has been run this way for 34 years and gone nowhere,"

Postby Wildey

don't want to put a dampener on things but it wouldn't surprise me if Murphy sais the popular thing to be popular and vote differently :huh2:

Postby N_Castle07

I would have to disagree there wild I think Murphy is the kind of character that speaks his mind regardless of its popularity. An example is when he commented on Ronnie getting special treatment and Ronnie avoiding post match interviews. Despite this being very unpopular as Ronnie has the most fans out there Murphy still said this because it was his views. I think Murphy is the kind of bloke who would call a spade a spade.

Postby SnookerFan

N_Castle07 wrote:I would have to disagree there wild I think Murphy is the kind of character that speaks his mind regardless of its popularity. An example is when he commented on Ronnie getting special treatment and Ronnie avoiding post match interviews. Despite this being very unpopular as Ronnie has the most fans out there Murphy still said this because it was his views. I think Murphy is the kind of bloke who would call a spade a spade.

Did he actually say that? I was unaware of his comments. But it does make me respect Murphy more. Despite being a bit self righteous at times, I think he speaks an unpopular truth in this case. You wonder how many players have thought this, and not said it.

Postby Monique

SnookerFan wrote:
N_Castle07 wrote:I would have to disagree there wild I think Murphy is the kind of character that speaks his mind regardless of its popularity. An example is when he commented on Ronnie getting special treatment and Ronnie avoiding post match interviews. Despite this being very unpopular as Ronnie has the most fans out there Murphy still said this because it was his views. I think Murphy is the kind of bloke who would call a spade a spade.

Did he actually say that? I was unaware of his comments. But it does make me respect Murphy more. Despite being a bit self righteous at times, I think he speaks an unpopular truth in this case. You wonder how many players have thought this, and not said it.

Well I don't think that's a "truth". The only time I can remember where ROS was allowed to "avoid" the press conferences was the Masters 2007, just after the UK walk-out. It was something that was agreed with Sir Rodney, maybe partially to "protect" Ronnie but mainly to avoid that all the media attention and hype was focussed to the walk-out incident instead of the tournament in progress. ROS BTW still did his BBC bits with Steve Davis, a person both he and WPBSA knew they could trust to stay on tracks, and he also did his interviews in the latter stages of the tournament (certainly the semi and the final)
If you allow me to be bluntly honest I think that those comments by Murphy - at the time - were mainly triggered by envy. Murphy is someone who relishes the media attention.
I also want to add that, in my opinion, Murphy has evolved as a person, for the better, since he's split from his ex-wife. Overall he has become much more tolerant towards others, and humbler.

Postby N_Castle07

Monique wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:

Well I don't think that's a "truth". The only time I can remember where ROS was allowed to "avoid" the press conferences was the Masters 2007, just after the UK walk-out. It was something that was agreed with Sir Rodney, maybe partially to "protect" Ronnie but mainly to avoid that all the media attention and hype was focussed to the walk-out incident instead of the tournament in progress. ROS BTW still did his BBC bits with Steve Davis, a person both he and WPBSA knew they could trust to stay on tracks, and he also did his interviews in the latter stages of the tournament (certainly the semi and the final)
If you allow me to be bluntly honest I think that those comments by Murphy - at the time - were mainly triggered by envy. Murphy is someone who relishes the media attention.
I also want to add that, in my opinion, Murphy has evolved as a person, for the better, since he's split from his ex-wife. Overall he has become much more tolerant towards others, and humbler.

When Murphy made them comments I think the point he was trying to get across was that Ronnie is not the only player who has had it tough. This was a time when Murphy and Dott (and maybe more players) where going through rough times.