Post a reply

International Championship Semi Final 1: Walden v Milkins

Postby Skullman

Image Image Image
Sunday 26th of October~Sunday 2nd of November in Chengdu, China

Semi Final 1: Ricky Walden v Robert Milkins

So down to four players and in our first semi final we have Ricky Walden, a player that has had his best results in China, winning both his ranking events here, and Robert Milkins, a player looking to reach his first ranking event final at the fifth time of asking and a chance for a place in the Champion of Champions invitational event.

Milkins has never beaten Walden before. Will that and slightly more experience at this level stand Walden in good stead or will another one sided head to head be overturned this week?

Click Here for Head to Heads

Overall Walden leads 3-0
Main Tournaments Walden leads 2-0
Multisession Matches Walden leads 1-0

DRAW

ORDER OF PLAY

Re: International Championship Semi Final 1: Walden v Milkin

Postby Wildey

AC or LT? wrote:I think this semi-final has put pains to any misconceived ideas that this is "a major", there basically playing for runner up here.

If players reach a round in a tournament it has no reflection on the tournament at all it says more about the players that was beaten.

Postby Andre147

AC or LT? wrote:I think this semi-final has put pains to any misconceived ideas that this is "a major", there basically playing for runner up here.

This is now on par with the UK Champs, it even has a longer format for the semis, so this is indeed the 4th Major whether you like it or not, and in the future may be even more important than the UK Champs which has turned to crap in recent years.

And they're not playing for runner up spot (maybe Milkins) because if Walden wins his semi he can very well win the tournament, you seem to underestimate how good Walden is when on form, he has been the player scoring the heaviest so far in this tournament and he has already won 2 ranking events in China.

So if Walden wins this semi and beats either Allen or Williams I won't be surprised in the slighest, Walden is definately good enough to knock out Allen or Williams playing like he has done.

Postby Clara8633

Andre147 wrote:

This is now on par with the UK Champs, it even has a longer format for the semis, so this is indeed the 4th Major whether you like it or not, and in the future may be even more important than the UK Champs which has turned to crap in recent years.

And they're not playing for runner up spot (maybe Milkins) because if Walden wins his semi he can very well win the tournament, you seem to underestimate how good Walden is when on form, he has been the player scoring the heaviest so far in this tournament and he has already won 2 ranking events in China.

So if Walden wins this semi and beats either Allen or Williams I won't be surprised in the slighest, Walden is definately good enough to knock out Allen or Williams playing like he has done.

Are you sure Walden can definitely knock out Allen if they face each other? Allen can be dangerous when he's playing well, and his comebacks in this tournament have been superb.

Postby PLtheRef

So would you say that a match with these players which theoretically could be played next May over Best of 33 frames puts paid to any misconceived ideas that the World Championship is a major?

Postby Andre147

Clara8633 wrote:
Andre147 wrote:

Are you sure Walden can definitely knock out Allen if they face each other? Allen can be dangerous when he's playing well, and his comebacks in this tournament have been superb.

Not a certainty, just saying Walden beating Allen or Williams wouldnt surprise me at all.

Postby AC or LT?

PLtheRef wrote:

So would you say that a match with these players which theoretically could be played next May over Best of 33 frames puts paid to any misconceived ideas that the World Championship is a major?

Except the chances of Walden V Milkins being the semi-final of next years world championship is so hilariously slim as to not be thinkable.

Hello Matthew_Lowson, how's wasting your life away on TSR going?

Postby PLtheRef

AC or LT? wrote:
PLtheRef wrote:

Except the chances of Walden V Milkins being the semi-final of next years world championship is so hilariously slim as to not be thinkable.

God TMD, you revealed my name as if it was some sort of big secret being exposed.

Why should a World Semi between Milkins and Walden be so hilariously slim? They got to the SF here. Have both won multiple world championship distance matches so it's not really so unthinkable that it won't happen.

What concerns me more is that this tournament may get elevated to a status above the UK Championships now that has gone to a Best of 11 Semi-Final

Postby Wildey

AC or LT? wrote:
PLtheRef wrote:

That last comment was uncalled for its non of your business what any member is doing with his life its their business and not yours or this forum.

Postby AC or LT?

PLtheRef wrote:
AC or LT? wrote:
PLtheRef wrote:

God TMD, you revealed my name as if it was some sort of big secret being exposed.

Why should a World Semi between Milkins and Walden be so hilariously slim? They got to the SF here. Have both won multiple world championship distance matches so it's not really so unthinkable that it won't happen.

What concerns me more is that this tournament may get elevated to a status above the UK Championships now that has gone to a Best of 11 Semi-Final

But it is unthinkable because they would run up to much together opposition and players would all be in much sharper form going into a world championship than this event. I share your concern about this being elevated above the UK, and the UK has gone down in my estimation since the distance of matches were cut. I really hope something is done about it.

I used your name in the knowledge that everyone on here was well aware of it (you regularly quoting your twitter on here). The same is not the case with my username for another site, which I politely ask that you delete.

Postby Andre147

On to the match, think Walden will beat Milkins, he has a good record against him, always seems to play well in China, and Milkins will still have that "semi-final syndrome" that he can't overcome.

Walden played extremelly well against Burnett, made 3 tons and another 70 plus break, and he'll be well up for it in this match. Milkins winning it would surprise me, although he did well to knock Fu out of the tournament.

Postby AC or LT?

Muppet147 wrote:
AC or LT? wrote:
Muppet147 wrote:Milkins is a streaky player. If he gets off to a good start and his confidence rises, he could win.

Apt username.

This is Walden's to lose.

Your posts suggest the username would be more appropriate applied to you.

I really doubt that.

Postby Wildey

Ricky Walden 3-2 Robert Milkins

Walden opened up with a 2-0 lead before Milkins won frame 3 with a break of 75 highest break of the match before Walden won the last frame before the interval for 3-1.

After the interval Milkins hit back with a 52 for 3-2

Postby Cloud Strife

Skullman wrote:Bit quiet this morning. Decent match so far from what I've seen.

4-2 Walden with a good break with some great recovery shots.

Let's be honest, this isn't a match people would cross the road for. I'm only watching it because I've got a bit of time to kill before work.

Postby SnookerEd25

AC or LT? wrote:
But it is unthinkable because they would run up to much together opposition and players would all be in much sharper form going into a world championship than this event.

It's true that the cream should always rise to the top at the Worlds, and the longer frames format is designed to facilitate that - however, it isn't always the case; in 2005 the semi-final line-up was :

Peter Ebdon (8) v. Shaun Murphy (unseeded)
Matthew Stevens (6) v. Ian McCulloch (unseeded)

And, of course, Murphy took the title having come through the qualifying competition.

These days there are 20+ players capable of reaching a World SF if they happen to hit form at the right time, and both Walden & Milkins are in that group.