Topic locked

Gutted!

Postby SnookerFan

I had booked next Thursday and Friday off work, so I could watch all of the semi-finals of The Crucible. Unfortunately, a guy who I share an office with is having an operation today, and it looks unlikely he'll be fit to work next week. On talking to my boss, it looks unlikely anybody will be able to cover for me.

Which means sadly, I will have to work the day of the semis. I know it's selfish to complain about annual leave at a time when somebody else is having a serious operation, but I am gutted I will miss some of the semis. :mood:

Re: Gutted!

Postby Casey

SnookerFan wrote:I had booked next Thursday and Friday off work, so I could watch all of the semi-finals of The Crucible. Unfortunately, a guy who I share an office with is having an operation today, and it looks unlikely he'll be fit to work next week. On talking to my boss, it looks unlikely anybody will be able to cover for me.

Which means sadly, I will have to work the day of the semis. I know it's selfish to complain about annual leave at a time when somebody else is having a serious operation, but I am gutted I will miss some of the semis. :mood:

I will miss the first session on Thursday, but I finish work at £ on Friday's so its not so bad.

Sorry to hear about that snookerfan. Are you going to be the only one in the office? If so would BBC live streaming not get a hit? ;)

Postby Roland

Ever heard of a sickie? It's easy, simply cough a lot on Wednesday afternoon, clutch your throad, drink Lemsips and complain of headaches and get the next two days off work for free!

Postby N_Castle07

Sonny wrote:Ever heard of a sickie? It's easy, simply cough a lot on Wednesday afternoon, clutch your throad, drink Lemsips and complain of headaches and get the next two days off work for free!

But when his boss knows that he wanted Holidays for them days it would ring alarm bells. And what if he pulled a sicky and the camara is on him during the Semi's and his boss or some office grass see's him. :scared: :scared:

Postby Roland

Well I assume he's not talking about going to the Crucible, and if he's at home watching snooker what can his boss do?

Postby Roland

My mum never picked up on the fact that my periods of illness at school always occurred when there was snooker on the box.

Postby N_Castle07

I see i thought he was planning on going. Yeah go for it SnookerFan pull a sicky.

Postby SnookerFan

N_Castle07 wrote:I see i thought he was planning on going. Yeah go for it SnookerFan pull a sicky.

No, I aint going to The Crucible for it. There's no way they could've stopped me doing that.

To be honest, all I was planning on doing was sitting at home and consuming my own body weight in beer and crisps. I technically wasn't asked if I could cancel my annual leave, apparently they are not allowed to. But it was known that they would be absurdly grateful if I could. I've agreed to do this, as my time off didn't really involve me doing anything other then sitting at home watching telly. I didn't even have any plans to watch it with anybody, so all I am missing in effect is sitting at home in my pyjamas watching telly.

Unfortunately, though I'm the only person in my department here, we share the building with people from different departments, who like sticking their noses into stuff that isn't any of their business, who look at me disapprovingly enough for just sneaking on the internet at work. Watching it on the BBC website would probably get me reported. I guess I just have to catch what I can in the evenings, and make the most of the weekends play. (And enjoy the final.) <laugh>

At least my new manager is a reasonable person. I've had two others since I've worked in, and the first would've not given me a choice in the matter, and threaten to hold me up on a disciplinary if I said no. <doh> (Thank buck he's gone.) The one I have at the moment seemed to hate doing this to me, so I am hoping it gets remembered and I can call in a favour sometime in the future.

Still gutted though.

Postby Casey

Try your best to get a few sneaky looks at the snooker....If your boss is grateful you will probably benefit in the long run

Postby Roland

I still think the sickie is the only option.

Postby SnookerFan

Sonny wrote:I still think the sickie is the only option.

I might, had I not already tried booking the time off... I mean, as I said, I wasn't officially asked. I spoke to my boss and she said; "Well, I can't make you but there's nobody to cover...." It was more of a case of; "Oh, go on then!" <laugh> Pulling a sickie would be somewhat obvious, and would negate the point of me having a supremely grateful boss.

Maybe my colleague will be well enough to have pulled a miraculous recovery by Thursday, but perhaps not. But I've resigned myself to it now, cheered myself up a bit by ordering a couple of tickets to one of those snooker legends events they always have after The Crucible has finished. Not quite the same thing, of course, but still.

Postby Roland

I can't remember the last time I missed a semi-final session due to being at work. I even pulled a sickie out of a mates wedding because the muppet went and had it on World Semi-final Saturday. Glad I did because it was the Selby v Murphy semi of 2007 I would've otherwise missed.

I honestly can't remember the last time I didn't see the semi-final... ok it was 2000 when I missed the final as well because I was in USA with work.

Postby SnookerFan

Sonny wrote:I can't remember the last time I missed a semi-final session due to being at work. I even pulled a sickie out of a mates wedding because the muppet went and had it on World Semi-final Saturday. Glad I did because it was the Selby v Murphy semi of 2007 I would've otherwise missed.

I honestly can't remember the last time I didn't see the semi-final... ok it was 2000 when I missed the final as well because I was in USA with work.

Was the international rates too expensive for you to call in sick? <laugh>