Post a reply

How do you rate Martin Gould?

Postby SnookerFan

Just wondering.

I just happen to be watching his match his match with Ding at the moment.

What will he have won once he retires?

Re: How do you rate Martin Gould?

Postby Skullman

He's a good potter but that's not really enough to win tournaments unless you're in top form, Murphy's proved that. I think he's good enough to beat any top player on his day, but I don't think he's consistent enough to beat a string of three or four top players , which you have to do to win an event. Maybe reach a ranking final (I'm ignoring his PTC Grand Final as that was best of 7s).

Postby Roland

This from his coach who saw the topic appear on twitter:

@SightRightUK: @snookerisland he's very very talented & ready to fulfil his potential. There, I've said it & I've worked with the best over the years

Postby Wildey

Martin Gould having his best consistent season to date.

Wuxi Semi Finalist and last 16 in australia and Shanghai means he is on the right track.

Postby SnookerFan

Cloud Strife wrote:Who knows where he'd be right now if he hadn't choked that match against Robertson.

An example of lack of consistency can effect you over the course of one match.

Postby The Cueist

Gould gets over awed in matches where he meets top 10 players in my honest opinion.

Safety play is limited , Bit like Jimmy White was in the early eighties.

Gouldy is a talent and will surprise when he emerges into a tournament in top form.

Needs to do it in a major but desperately needs to improve his all round game aa these tables are very unforgiving.

Postby SnookerEd25

Clearly has a lot of talent, but perhaps psychologically fragile. May well win a major. 10 years ago I wouldn't have had Bingham down as a ranking event winner, and now he's done it twice!

Postby SnookerFan

SnookerEd25 wrote:Clearly has a lot of talent, but perhaps psychologically fragile. May well win a major. 10 years ago I wouldn't have had Bingham down as a ranking event winner, and now he's done it twice!

Neither would Mark Allen.

Postby Roland

Gould is class, he's an out and out potter and breakbuilder of the ilk of Maflin who is great to watch when he's on his game. I think consistency has been a problem, almost as if he doesn't believe in himself enough. I know he struggled to come to terms with being a top 16 player as if he felt he didn't belong so the self-belief aspect is what can let him down. He's been playing well recently though so hopefully a corner has been turned because he should be challenging for titles and reaching maybe a final or two per season.

I think you can read into the fact he won the Shootout and Power Snooker events as that he's better when he doesn't have time to think too much which is symptomatic of a natural talent with confidence issues. I should know because that's what I'm like as a player.

As a potter he's right up there with the very best.

Postby SnookerFan

Roland wrote:Gould is class, he's an out and out potter and breakbuilder of the ilk of Maflin who is great to watch when he's on his game. I think consistency has been a problem, almost as if he doesn't believe in himself enough. I know he struggled to come to terms with being a top 16 player as if he felt he didn't belong so the self-belief aspect is what can let him down. He's been playing well recently though so hopefully a corner has been turned because he should be challenging for titles and reaching maybe a final or two per season.

I think you can read into the fact he won the Shootout and Power Snooker events as that he's better when he doesn't have time to think too much which is symptomatic of a natural talent with confidence issues. I should know because that's what I'm like as a player.

As a potter he's right up there with the very best.

Another insightful player assessment, sir. :hatoff: