Post a reply

How do you rate Jack Lisowski?

Postby SnookerFan

First time I saw him play I was live in Newport. He showed potential in losing 4-3 to a still good John Higgins. He showed potential, but has yet to fulfil it really.

Will he live up to early promise? He played like a dipstick yesterday against Ding. But then, we were saying that Judd wasn't living up to promise until he won the China Open almost out of nowhere.
Last edited by SnookerFan on 10 Sep 2014, edited 1 time in total.

Re: How do you rate Jack Lisowski?

Postby Wildey

Yea but even Judd made the breakthrough at 21.

Jack Lisowski is now 23 yes he is still young enough but you would hope these young players stepped it up well when they are YOUNG.

Postby Roland

Very talented but still very raw. He's a fast player but too often that borders into not taking enough time over certain shots and against top players like Ding yesterday he gets found out. Definitely needs to sharpen up his shot selection a bit and learn to recognise the types of shot that need a little bit more care and attention. He was gifting Ding chances all over the place yesterday, taking on shots you knew he was going to miss or playing the wrong safety shot and leaving Ding in the balls.

Also he needs to go on a few runs to get his confidence going because so many times now I've seen him play brilliantly only to fold before the finish line. Last UKs in York I can't remember who he was playing but he was 4-0 up in a matter of minutes, but after the interval came back out and couldn't pot a ball and lost the match.

I actually predicted he'd be top 16 this season a couple of years ago because he really does have that potential, and to kick on. Plus he's such a likeable character it's impossible not to warm to him so hopefully he'll start to turn things around this season and fulfil his talent.

Postby SnookerFan

Roland wrote:Very talented but still very raw. He's a fast player but too often that borders into not taking enough time over certain shots and against top players like Ding yesterday he gets found out. Definitely needs to sharpen up his shot selection a bit and learn to recognise the types of shot that need a little bit more care and attention. He was gifting Ding chances all over the place yesterday, taking on shots you knew he was going to miss or playing the wrong safety shot and leaving Ding in the balls.

Also he needs to go on a few runs to get his confidence going because so many times now I've seen him play brilliantly only to fold before the finish line. Last UKs in York I can't remember who he was playing but he was 4-0 up in a matter of minutes, but after the interval came back out and couldn't pot a ball and lost the match.

I actually predicted he'd be top 16 this season a couple of years ago because he really does have that potential, and to kick on. Plus he's such a likeable character it's impossible not to warm to him so hopefully he'll start to turn things around this season and fulfil his talent.

Some interesting and accurate points there. (When did you change your name from Sonny by the way?)

Talented and raw was how I described him after the match with Higgins I mentioned. That was a few years back, and I'm surprised that experience doesn't seem to have taught him much. In that, you can still call him raw. You'd think by now, he'd have added a different aspect to his game rather than pot, pot, pot. I get he is a naturally attacking player, but so are a lot of people. Doesn't mean you shouldn't have a b-game. Ding himself was all attack when he first came on the scene, but has learned other attributes the more experienced he got.

The commentators too were criticising his shot selection the other day, and his safety game. You'd think by now these are factors of the game he would've worked on, and at least tried to improve on.

Postby Roland

A couple of times yesterday he brought a ball off the cushion that he was hoping to land on and went for pace without thinking too much, rather than control. Things like that. I mean when you do it that way you're trusting to luck and hoping it'll be pottable rather than doing his best to guarantee leaving it on.

And I changed it after I wrote that post. No reason to keep Sonny really, about time I updated.

Postby SnookerFan

Does Jack still practice with Judd Trump? Maybe Jack should take time to ask practice partners advice, or consider changing his coaching set up. Most of the problems he had yesterday seemed to be down to poor decision making as much as anything else. Or just rushing the shot too much.

You'd think things like that should be easy to work on if you were a professional player.

Postby Sickpotter

Great talent but I think he's taken the foot of the gas since Judd has had some success...sorta went from hungry, professional player to teenager with new toys. Judd had a poor season after hitting some success, seems to me like he took Jack along for the ride.

Maybe Jack's been fed too much of "you're too great a talent not to be a WC" and is taking his opportunity for granted?

Almost seems like his desire is lacking, doesn't seem as hungry to as others have been when trying to make their name on tour.

Postby Wildey

How old is a young player supose to be before he goes from potential to a journeyman?

Jack not even reached the top 32 yet.

Postby Roland

Jack's moved back to Gloucester and last I heard was practicing with our Ben.

Ben by the way is taking a breather, sorting his life out and working so he can afford to have a crack at Q School next year. He's also going to be in the World Amateur next time around after winning the English Amateur a couple of months ago.