Post a reply

Pankaj Advani to make decision on snooker future

Postby JDM375

World Snooker wrote:Pankaj Advani will make a decision this week on whether to remain a professional snooker player.

Advani played on the World Snooker Tour in 2012/13 and 2013/14 and became the first Indian player to reach the quarter-finals of a world ranking event at the 2013 Welsh Open. The 29-year-old reached the same stage of the inaugural Indian Open last year, though he lost to eventual runner-up and World Games Gold Medalist Aditya Mehta.

The ace cueman, who has won multiple World Billiards titles, has not played on snooker's pro circuit this season and must now decide whether to retain his WPBSA membership and play in the Indian Open, with the entry deadline on Wednesday September 10.

Alternatively he could resign his membership and attempt to gain a place in the tournament as a wild card, but would have to win through qualifying rounds in India. This route would also allow Advani to play in the IBSF World Amateur Championship in Bangalore in November.

WPBSA Chairman Jason Ferguson said: "This is a huge decision for Pankaj. His resignation as a professional player would take away his World Snooker Tour place and remove him from the World Rankings. Along with fellow countrymen Aditya Mehta, Pankaj is a model pro and we have always been very proud of his participation. Whatever he decides, we all hope to see more of him in the future."

http://www.worldsnooker.com/page/NewsAr ... 14,00.html

Re: Pankaj Advani to make decision on snooker future

Postby Skullman

He's decided no.

World Snooker wrote:Pankaj Advani has decided to relinquish his place on the World Snooker Tour and resign his WPBSA membership, he announced at a press conference in India today.

However the 29-year-old still hopes to compete in the Indian Open in Mumbai in October and will try to win a place as a wild card via the regional qualifier in Pune (September 15-19).

Advani played on the World Snooker Tour in 2012/13 and 2013/14 and became the first Indian player to reach the quarter-finals of a world ranking event at the 2013 Welsh Open. He reached the same stage of the inaugural Indian Open last year, though he lost to eventual runner-up and World Games Gold Medalist Aditya Mehta. The ace cueman, who has won multiple World Billiards titles, has not played on snooker's pro circuit this season

"Finally I have decided to play in the Indian wild card event and the World Billiards which happens immediately after," said Advani today. "If I am playing an Indian wild card, I have to let go my professional tour card.

"I took this decision because I missed billiards and my family. I wouldn't have been able to play billiards if I am based in England for six months. My sole objective has been to excel in both sports not just in one, and that will be possible if I am based in India.

"I had good results in snooker. I enjoyed myself and learnt a lot - sportsmanship, the approach to the game, conditions - everything was top class and that's what I wanted - to improve as a player. I am glad I could achieve it in my own way.

"Maybe within the next three to four years I may go back, but not in the near future for sure. I will definitely go back to England and train. Letting go my professional card does not mean I am keeping England away. I will go two to three times there at least to train with top players and play in an open event."

http://www.worldsnooker.com/page/NewsAr ... 98,00.html

Can't say I like this decision, but it's his choice in the end.

Postby Tamctus

I don't think Advani should be allowed to participate as a wildcard if he earned his place through qualification. I can understand that it would be good for the local crowd but as a qualified tour player I would hate to play someone like Advani on wildcard round.

Postby Wildey

Tamctus wrote:I don't think Advani should be allowed to participate as a wildcard if he earned his place through qualification. I can understand that it would be good for the local crowd but as a qualified tour player I would hate to play someone like Advani on wildcard round.

if he plays i hope he loses.

hes had his chance and hes thrown that chance back.

Postby Wildey

My sole objective is to excel in both (billiards and snooker) and it will be possible only if I'm based in India,"

how the hell can he excell in Snooker if hes based in India. and the fact hes pulling out of pro snooker means it will be harder to promote snooker in India.

Postby Cloud Strife

Wildey wrote:
My sole objective is to excel in both (billiards and snooker) and it will be possible only if I'm based in India,"

how the hell can he excell in Snooker if hes based in India. and the fact hes pulling out of pro snooker means it will be harder to promote snooker in India.

Yes, that sounded strange. How can he excel at snooker by basing himself in India. :shrug:

He also talks of playing in open tournaments in the UK. Which events can he play in if he isn't a member of World Snooker?

Postby Wildey

Cloud Strife wrote:
Wildey wrote:

Yes, that sounded strange. How can he excel at snooker by basing himself in India. :shrug:

He also talks of playing in open tournaments in the UK. Which events can he play in if he isn't a member of World Snooker?

nothing

Postby roy142857

Further quote in another Times of India article:

"By opting not to play professional snooker, I will definitely get time to find a life partner for myself. I don't think that had crossed my mind when I was in UK because I was so involved in the game that I became mechanical. I just did not make any friends," he added.