Topic locked

Williams vs O'Sullivan: Who reaches QF ?

Poll ended at 23 Apr 2010

Mark Williams, easily
No votes
Mark Williams, just
36%
Ronnie O'Sullivan, easily
21%
Ronnie O'Sullivan, just
43%

Total votes : 14

World Championships 2010 R2: Williams vs O'Sullivan

Postby Bourne

For a round-two match, this has the wow-factor alright ! Two ranking event winners this season, both are multi World Champions, both are in the provisional top 8 and both have genuine title ambitions in this tournament.

Williams was a pretty comfortable winner in round-one over Marcus Campbell, despite struggling to a 5-4 lead in the first session, he pulled away in the second but knows he must up his game for the world number-one in R2.

O'Sullivan produced a typical Jekyll and Hyde performance in seeing off Liang Wenbo in R1, reeling off a couple of centuries but towards the end was put under pressure, to which he responded well.

Is it too premature to suggest that the winner of this match could win the tournament ? It is a repeat of their R2 match two years ago where O'Sullivan came out victor, including a final-frame 147, and went all the way then.

Who do you see coming out on top this time ?

Re: World Championships 2010 R2: Williams vs O'Sullivan

Postby Roland

If Williams plays like he did in China I'm thinking he could win 13-7, 13-8 something like that. Remains to be seen though, he needs to get off to a good start.

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:If Williams plays like he did in China I'm thinking he could win 13-7, 13-8 something like that. Remains to be seen though, he needs to get off to a good start.

you just know with mark being a champion again Ronnie will be up for it big time and if he isnt could be moondan's prediction of ronnie on the slide could be starting to happen lol

Postby Rocket_ron

wildJONESEYE wrote:
Sonny wrote:If Williams plays like he did in China I'm thinking he could win 13-7, 13-8 something like that. Remains to be seen though, he needs to get off to a good start.

you just know with mark being a champion again Ronnie will be up for it big time and if he isnt could be moondan's prediction of ronnie on the slide could be starting to happen lol

:scared: :scared:

rofl

Postby Casey

Yes 4-4 or better after the first session is needed. Its played over 3 days so I think it gives Mark the chance to have a real go 1st day

Postby JohnFromLondonTown

It is a hard one to call, as in the heavy hitters are back in town (as I rub my hands at the thought of this match up).

I've voted Ronnie O'Sullivan easily. Reason being is that I think Mark Williams has peaked a little to early & I think Ronnie O'Sullivan will wiin 13-7 / 13/8. If you can call that easily?

Ronnie O'Sullivan will know he will have to be at his best. However, is the fight in him?

Postby SnookerFan

StalinESQ wrote:come on Ronster :wave:

Ronnie didn't look in the right frame of mind against Liang Wenbo, let alone somebody of Mark Williams experience.

I'm really hoping the ball bullier gets his come-uppance in the next round.

Postby Casey

Bourne wrote:Didn't watch the end of that session, did Ronnie hand those last frames away or was Williams unplayable ?

Ronnie had a chance in the last, but then Williams knocked in a cracking red and cleared up. What I would say is that Mark is the one that needs to improve, he did REALLY well to get level but Ronnie let up just a bit.

Its a bit of a weird one because its played over 3 days so there will be plenty of changes in form