Post a reply

Will anybody ever make two 147s in a professional match?

Postby SnookerFan

Will anybody ever make two 147s in a professional match? Or is that standard just too high?

Is it possible in a best of seven or nine, or will it only happen in a longer format match?

Surely the most likely person to achieve this would be Ronnie O'Sullivan, as he has the talent and always goes for them when they're on.

Will it ever be achieved? We've only ever once had two in a tournament. So is a match a step too far?

Re: Will anybody ever make two 147s in a professional match?

Postby SnookerFan

Wildey wrote:Ronnie is the only player with any sniff of doing it but even then its very unlikely to happen.

On TSF, they are making out it's almost certain. One person even claimed; "It's only a matter of time'.

Consider that it doesn't happen very often twice in one tournament, let alone match.

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:
Wildey wrote:Ronnie is the only player with any sniff of doing it but even then its very unlikely to happen.

On TSF, they are making out it's almost certain. One person even claimed; "It's only a matter of time'.

Consider that it doesn't happen very often twice in one tournament, let alone match.

With respect to TSF there's people on there that are clueless about anything to do with Snooker.

Postby Wildey

Muppet147 wrote:It will happen.

I know it doesn't count as a professional match but didn't Jimmy White nearly make two 147s in a Legends match?

Bigger pockets in legends matches

Postby SnookerFan

I know it doesn't count as a professional match but didn't Jimmy White nearly make two 147s in a Legends match?

I know he was on for it one time at Redhill, because I was there. It was even two consecutive frames. I forget what he broke down on now, but he didn't quite make it.

Postby Muppet147

Wildey wrote:

Bigger pockets in legends matches

I am quite sure if you played on one of those legends tables, your 'high' break would remain 25.

Postby Sickpotter

I don't see it happening ever in a ranking event.

Too many elements of luck need to come together for the 147 to happen and in this era of shrinking formats the opportunity just isn't there. Perhaps if they went back to the Joe Davis era format we'd have enough frames to make it more feasible but that's not going to happen.

How many pros claim to have made back to back 147s in practice? Not line up drill practice but practice matches with two players involved.

Postby Tamctus

+ They are making the matches shorter and shorter every season... Can't see anyone making two 147's in a best of 7 :roll:

Crucible is pretty much the only place where it's possible.

Postby SnookerFan

Sickpotter wrote:I don't see it happening ever in a ranking event.

Too many elements of luck need to come together for the 147 to happen and in this era of shrinking formats the opportunity just isn't there. Perhaps if they went back to the Joe Davis era format we'd have enough frames to make it more feasible but that's not going to happen.

How many pros claim to have made back to back 147s in practice? Not line up drill practice but practice matches with two players involved.

Most of them probably claim it. rofl

Postby TheSaviour

Didn´t Earl Stricland once ran 11 consecutive 9 ball racks. When it was a deal and a promise that anyone who could break and run 10 consecutive racks would win a million dollards. Obviously an extremely difficult task since we all know how difficult it is to earn money playing pool even in America. They don´t share an easy money.

It is just the Donald Duck - diamondsystem.

Postby Andre147

TheSaviour wrote:Didn´t Earl Stricland once ran 11 consecutive 9 ball racks. When it was a deal and a promise that anyone who could break and run 10 consecutive racks would win a million dollards. Obviously an extremely difficult task since we all know how difficult it is to earn money playing pool even in America. They don´t share an easy money.

It is just the Donald Duck - diamondsystem.

I think it's easier in theory to make 10+ 9 ball racks than it is to make back to back 147s on the same match by the same player. I'm not saying the 9 ball task is easy, far from it, but the 147s would really require a player to go for it and a player would only take that chance if he found himself well ahead in the match. Like it has been said here, I could only see Ronnie ever doing that, or maybe just maybe Ding, as his breakbuilding and cue ball ball control when on song is immaculate.

Postby Roland

There's a documentary I read about here http://maxeberle.com/3158/3158/ about the Strickland 11 rack run, he won a million dollars and by doing so ruined a new event because it was the first in a series and the sponsors didn't think anyone would do it.