Post a reply

Miss Rule

Postby Andre147

Have a question regarding the miss rule, if anyone knows the answer.

Do you know which year was it first implemented? I've watched videos where the miss rule was in operation dating as far back as in 1985, like in this match here, around min 21:40

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VC4P1R-7ks

But does anyone know when it was first implemented on the Tour? In the beggining I know it caused a lot of controversy among the players, even more so because back then there obviosuly wasn't any recorder to help the referee with the position of the balls.

Re: Miss Rule

Postby Wildey

The miss rule has changed over the years and was first interpreted to stop players playing a deliberate miss ie trying to miss playing a 2 cussing escape so the cueball got back to balk safely..

the rule as it is now where you virtually got to hit the ball on was introduced around 1990

Postby Andy Spark

I have a question about the miss rule too.

Should the miss rule be used in amateur play? I never use it, but I've noticed that many like to, also they seem to use the professional application of the miss rule, which seems harsh. I've noticed really average (can't make a 20 break) drunk players on a Friday night using the full miss rule. However, maybe that is OK if I am right in thinking that even with the professional application of the miss rule it changes according to the ref's assessment of the skill level of the player. :?

Postby PoolBoy

There should be a certain amount of referee interpretation, but often common sense goes out the window!
I still chuckle at the ever pleasant Dennis Taylor getting frustrated at Len Ganley for calling misses on a particular shot!

Postby Wildey

PoolBoy wrote:There should be a certain amount of referee interpretation, but often common sense goes out the window!
I still chuckle at the ever pleasant Dennis Taylor getting frustrated at Len Ganley for calling misses on a particular shot!

That was when the miss rule in it current state was relatively new and Dennis having been playing with 1 interpretation during the 80s had to all of a sudden adapt.

Postby Wildey

Andy Spark wrote:I have a question about the miss rule too.

Should the miss rule be used in amateur play? I never use it, but I've noticed that many like to, also they seem to use the professional application of the miss rule, which seems harsh. I've noticed really average (can't make a 20 break) drunk players on a Friday night using the full miss rule. However, maybe that is OK if I am right in thinking that even with the professional application of the miss rule it changes according to the ref's assessment of the skill level of the player. :?

in top notch Amateur competitions then yes they should play to the pro interpretation. However in club snooker its a bit harsh sticking to the pro interpretation.

Postby Dan-cat

My mate and I use the miss rule when playing. Well, some of it. If you miss getting out of a snooker by a mile we call a miss, especially if it goes super safe, but it really does have to be a mile away (unlike the pro game where misses seem to get called even if the ball is about a centimetre away) AND if you fail to hit a red when you can see one that's a miss too.

Postby Andre147

Dan-cat wrote:My mate and I use the miss rule when playing. Well, some of it. If you miss getting out of a snooker by a mile we call a miss, especially if it goes super safe, but it really does have to be a mile away (unlike the pro game where misses seem to get called even if the ball is about a centimetre away) AND if you fail to hit a red when you can see one that's a miss too.

That's about it really and you do it the correct way. It's about applying the miss rule having in consideration the ability of both players involved.

Postby Dan-cat

It's not perfect but it is fairer than the old way. At our level you might make a crucial 20 odd break to get back into a frame, then run out of position and lay a perfectly judged snooker. You deserve more than the 4 points from that if the other player makes a rubbish attempt at getting out of it, particularly if it has been played in such a way that he is likely to get safe.

From the Alex Higgins shot in the youtube clip above you can tell he's erring on hitting it on the other side with a good chance of running safe. That aint right! Hence the rule change.