Post a reply

What is worst Drugs parakeet or Match Fixing?

Drugs parakeet
14%
Match Fixer
86%

Total votes : 14

Drugs parakeet or Match Fixing?

Postby Wildey

What is Worst for the integrity and credibility of a Sport?

someone taking drugs trying to WIN or a player trying to LOSE by fixing a result.

Re: Drugs parakeet or Match Fixing?

Postby Cloud Strife

I think drug taking reflects badly more on the individual unless it's widespread like it was in Cycling and Athletics.

Match fixing is more negative for the sport as a whole.

Postby Wildey

Cloud Strife wrote:I think drug taking reflects badly more on the individual unless it's widespread like it was in Cycling and Athletics.

Match fixing is more negative for the sport as a whole.

totally agree with everything you said

Postby TheSaviour

But the WORST are those some sort of a 3D camera-angles they are throwing in these days.

Just use the bloody old basic camera-angle combining some times that one overlooking the match table.

Postby Sickpotter

Dan-cat wrote:Both bad, match fixing worse.

Anyone know which drugs make you play better snooker? I'm just asking for a friend :)

No drug makes you play better per say but there are drugs to help offset the negative impact of pressure on your game.

Beta-blockers - control heart rate
Ativan - Anti-anxiety drug, allows you to remain calm.
Apo-lorazapham - not sure on that spelling but similar to ativan

Basically these drugs allow a player to remain calm and relaxed which is a must to produce your best game.

The best in the world can play their best no matter what the pressure, they have the confidence in themselves and their game to allow it.

Those not quite up there are prone to mis-timing their stroke, rushing a shot, etc. when put under pressure.

The ability to deal with pressure is part of the sport, using drugs to manage the physical symptoms of stress is cheating to an extent. Won't improve your game but they can certainly change/manage your temperament and ability to manage pressure.

Bill Werbenuick was renowed for his massive drinking during play but little is ever mentioned regarding why. Bill was on prescribed beta blockers but not allowed to take them and still play, beta blockers are on the list. Drinking accomplished the same effect as the beta blockers but wasn't banned so he resorted to booze. Of course drinking not the best thing for your health so one could easily say playing the sport took Bill to an early grave.

Postby Ayrshirebhoy

Was Neal foulds not prescribed beta blockers in the 80's then told he couldn't take them? Think it even helped finish him.

Postby vodkadiet

Isn't Prozac a drug?

Didn't a player deliberately lost a match against Tian Pengfei in The China Open in 2010 by missing a black deliberately? Isn't that match fixing?

Postby TheSaviour

vodkadiet wrote:Isn't Prozac a drug?

Didn't a player deliberately lost a match against Tian Pengfei in The China Open in 2010 by missing a black deliberately? Isn't that match fixing?

Yes, those cases missing a final black deliberately do exposes match fixings. A player might play fully and try to pot a long reds to get in, and break-build, and then missing something purposely to let the other player who are suppose to win the match in. And if ´the winner´ can´t make things count, then it might go to the distance, and the final black might decide. And then a player suppose to lose the match might panic, and so clearly purposely missing the last black.

It has been fixed that a match will end 5-1 for example. And then they play like that all the way. That´s how a few of those match fixes has probably went. Obviously a really good that Barry has took a tough actions against those things.

Postby paperbackwriter

When it comes to match fixing, there's no grey area. Trying to lose does not belong to the sport and I can't think of one thing that could justify it.

Drugs on the other hand are a much more complicated issue. They're not only widespread in cycling and athletics, every doctor who was involved in doping affairs will tell you that tennis or football are not much better. They've been part of the sport for so long, blaming individuals seems kind of silly. (I mean, bans are probably a must but taking away victories and the whole social stigma... well, I find it laughable.)
Also, it depends on the level of "crime". If doping can give you up to 10% advantage lots of guys probably take it to have any chance to compete. The real problem starts when certain athletes build their advantage on superior doping programs (like Armstrong who used to pay Ferrari extra money just so other riders didn't get the same treatment).
Another thing that makes it difficult is that certain things were legal not long ago and I'm sure many performance enhancing drugs are still legal - is taking them wrong or right? After all, they can give someone an edge. (Admittedly biological passports are probably meant to take care of it but at the same time they're source of extra confusion.)

Also I think that it's generally hard to say how big a part drugs played in average person's pro life. I saw people passing exams on drugs and claiming they'd never manage to study so hard without them. And it's only one of many examples of using drugs to enhance their "performance" outside sport. (What about drugs used by musicians? How would electronic music fare without drugs? People on electro parties/festivals tend to say that they wouldn't stand it were they not on drugs...)

Postby Cloud Strife

He wasn't the first, and certainly won't be the last, player to tank a match. Not the same as fixing a match.

Postby Wildey

Cloud Strife wrote:

He wasn't the first, and certainly won't be the last, player to tank a match. Not the same as fixing a match.

That's very sad when sportsmen haven't got pride in their performances and lose when they cant be fussed.

i wouldn't tank a game of connect 4 when i was a kid i just hate losing at anything.

Postby TheSaviour

Some years ago I made bets when I followed news and odds from the internet that some Albanian or so football teams were ´a very likely´ to lost some matches. I didn´t (and still won´t) felt or thought that I did anything wrong there, or didn´t feel any bad about it. On the contrary, I thought that was a great fun and basically a good thing. That´s because people from the Balkan area see football a much much more than just the result, which team are going to win or lose or draw.

As a kid in the 90s I used to play football (park games) with the refugees from the Balkan area. Many of those adults playing there were insanely good and skillfull dribbles. A local Messi´s. Those games were a full of all sorts of a gamemanships, deep passions, a hard tackles, arguments and a really selfish a full-pitch dribblings. Their game is not ruined at all if a few players are not looking to win the match, but lost.. And it is much like that with the professional game and teams also. So obviously those ´match fixes´ are not gimmies like that.

During that time I wasn´t any good at sports, besides tennis which I had some natural talent, but with those games and footballing refuges from the Balkan area I very much got into the sports and started practising more and more. And then obviously got better and better.

Obviously with snooker it is a very different with a match fixing, and like I previously wrote, personally I am really glad that Barry has taken some tough actions against it.

Postby Dan-cat

'If you don't think drugs have done good things for us, then take all of your records, tapes and CD's and burn them - because every one of those artists who have made brilliant music and enhanced your lives where RrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrEAL bucking high on drugs...

...The Beatles were so high they even let Ringo sing a couple!'

Bill Hicks https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4krjE679dM