Post a reply

Ronnie decides to play a tournament....

Postby SnookerFan

Ronnie O'Sullivan has confirmed he will return to action at the Shanghai Masters in September for his first tournament of the new season.

The five-time World Champion, whose last televised appearance came in the World Championship final at the beginning of May, announced via his official website that he has entered the Shanghai Masters.

O'Sullivan revealed after his Crucible final defeat to Mark Selby that he would be taking a further break from competitive action in a similar fashion to the previous two seasons.

In an interview with the Daily Star, he also hinted that he may not return until the Champion of Champions.

"I think the Champion of Champions will be my first proper tournament of the season and obviously that is at the beginning of November," he said.

However, The Rocket will return to the baize in the £425,000 major ranking tournament, which runs from September 8-14, a decision which will thrill his loyal band of supporters.

The Shanghai Masters continues to incorporate the traditional tiered draw format, with the top 16 players seeded through to the venue, meaning as number four in the world rankings, O'Sullivan would not be required to enter the qualifiers.

O'Sullivan was a runner-up in the 2007 staging of the event, before going one better a year later by claiming the crown with a 10-5 victory over Liang Wenbo in the final.

http://www.snooker-news.com/category/ma ... 407100001/

Re: Ronnie decides to play a tournament....

Postby Andre147

SnookerFan wrote:O'Sullivan was a runner-up in the 2007 staging of the event, before going one better a year later by claiming the crown with a 10-5 victory over Liang Wenbo in the final.

http://www.snooker-news.com/category/ma ... 407100001/

Errrmmm... World Snooker... better get your facts straight... Ronnie was not runner up in the 2007 staging of the event, he didn't even participate in that one <doh> He was indeed runner in 2008, losing 10-8 to Ricky Walden, before going one better a year later in 2009 when he did beat Liang Wenbo 10-5 in the Final.

EDIT: Silly me, hadn't even opened the link, it wasn't WS who wrote that :shrug:

Postby Skullman

TheRocket wrote:Nice to hear. Finally we'll see him playing in China again. Thought, would never happen again.

His last title in China was 5 years ago in the same tournament.

He played in the IC just last year.

Postby Andre147

Skullman wrote:
TheRocket wrote:Nice to hear. Finally we'll see him playing in China again. Thought, would never happen again.

His last title in China was 5 years ago in the same tournament.

He played in the IC just last year.

Yeah but think TR was more refering to the fact his last title in China was 5 years ago. But honestly even if Ronnie doesnt win the tournament at least I hope he puts up a good fight, and not like many past China visits when one could clearly see he wasn't bothered at all.

In IC last year he had a good match against Wenbo, made two tons I think but in the end Liand proved too strong. Thats the kind of performance I don't mind from Ronnie in China even if he loses.

Postby Wildey

whatever next will this be the norm now put out statements when players decide to play their profession.

Enter, turn up and play is all that's needed without a big fan fare bullocks about every little thing he does

Postby Cloud Strife

This is great news for the sport of snooker, and the world in general, in my opinion.

It has turned the Shanghai Masters into a must-see spectacle, whereas before it was just another stop on the calendar, existing simply to make up the numbers.

I'm sure Ronnie's presence will be lapped up by his billion plus Chinese fans.

Postby Cloud Strife

Wildey wrote:whatever next will this be the norm now put out statements when players decide to play their profession.

Enter, turn up and play is all that's needed without a big fan fare bullocks about every little thing he does

Stop being so bitter. <doh>

Postby Wildey

Cloud Strife wrote:This is great news for the sport of snooker, and the world in general, in my opinion.

It has turned the Shanghai Masters into a must-see spectacle, whereas before it was just another stop on the calendar, existing simply to make up the numbers.

buck off you tart <doh>

Postby Wildey

Cloud Strife wrote:
Wildey wrote:whatever next will this be the norm now put out statements when players decide to play their profession.

im not bitter its good he plays but all this bullocks about a non story does my bucking head in

Postby Cloud Strife

Wildey wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:This is great news for the sport of snooker, and the world in general, in my opinion.

buck off you tart <doh>

Has Selby entered? I want a WC final rematch. <ok>

Postby Cloud Strife

Wildey wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:

im not bitter its good he plays but all this bullocks about a non story does my bucking head in

It can't be that much of a non story if we're sat here talking about it past midnight. Any, and all, coverage can only be a good thing for snooker.

Postby Andre147

Cloud Strife wrote:

I agree, it's not big fan bullocks, Ronnie is by far the biggest draw and box office in the game, and especially when he does decide to play in tournaments in China it's indeed big news because he has skipped so many of them down the years.

And it's not like in recent times (apart from German Masters qualifiers) when he does decide to enter a tournament he comes there to win it. If he does or not, that's a different matter, but like I said I just hope that when he plays there he gives it all and if he loses at least lose with some dignity like that IC match last season against Wenbo.

Postby Andre147

Cloud Strife wrote:
Wildey wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:

It can't be that much of a non story if we're sat here talking about it past midnight. Any, and all, coverage can only be a good thing for snooker.

Agree, if it's that big a non story, then why the replies Wild? You would just read this and don't even bother to reply. It's great news Ronnie has entered this tournament, and maybe just maybe he'll consider entering the IC.

Postby Cloud Strife

Andre147 wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:
Wildey wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:

Agree, if it's that big a non story, then why the replies Wild? You would just read this and don't even bother to reply. It's great news Ronnie has entered this tournament, and maybe just maybe he'll consider entering the IC.

Fully agree Andre.

Wild is a pathetic hater who is obsessed with all things Ronnie O'Sullivan. He pretends to not care, but cannot help himself. pmsl

Postby TheSaviour

Wildey wrote:

buck off you tart <doh>

Yes, this is all a great news for the sport of snooker.

But no need to be so sarcastic there, or what ever it was.. >-(

Postby Cloud Strife

TheSaviour wrote:
Wildey wrote:

buck off you tart <doh>

I wasn't being sarcastic, I fully stand by what I said there. Ronnie's billion plus chinese fans will be absolutely delighted by this news.

Postby mantorok

Wildey wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:

You're right, the real story when it comes out, will be when masterdoctorgenius get's over that pink.

Postby SnookerFan

mantorok wrote:
You're right, the real story when it comes out, will be when masterdoctorgenius get's over that pink.

What pink? Did Ronnie miss a pink?

I don't remember that. :gag:

Postby Sickpotter

Cloud Strife wrote:
TheSaviour wrote:
Wildey wrote:

buck off you tart <doh>

I wasn't being sarcastic, I fully stand by what I said there. Ronnie's billion plus chinese fans will be absolutely delighted by this news.

Seriously?

No problems with the statement about it being good for snooker but good for the world in general?

<doh>

That's just over the top fanboy crap.

Your billion fan estimate is delusional as well.

It's these kinds of OTT comments that puts Wild (and other fans of the game) off.

Comes off as bad as 12 year old girls gushing about Beiber or some other boy band. :roll:

Back to topic....yes, it will be nice to see Ronnie play in China. Seems to be up for it given he's returning to tour earlier than originally suggested.

Postby Wildey

over the last few years my only criticism of ronnie has been that the big girl blouse has not played much snooker full stop. So my stance has nothing to do with being a hater or any of that crappy bullocks.

i just don't get the big announcement just play and never mind this PR or as i like to call it attention seeking crap.

Postby Cloud Strife

Sickpotter wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:
TheSaviour wrote:
Wildey wrote:

buck off you tart <doh>

Seriously?

No problems with the statement about it being good for snooker but good for the world in general?

<doh>

That's just over the top fanboy crap.

Your billion fan estimate is delusional as well.

It's these kinds of OTT comments that puts Wild (and other fans of the game) off.

Comes off as bad as 12 year old girls gushing about Beiber or some other boy band. :roll:

Back to topic....yes, it will be nice to see Ronnie play in China. Seems to be up for it given he's returning to tour earlier than originally suggested.

pmsl

If all it takes is a few tongue in cheek comments to put Wild and you off then what kind of fans are you?

Postby Wildey

i know your a wind up merchant however that sort of crap is the basis of this myth that people hate Ronnie when in reality im a ronnie fan hater or a fanboy/cloud strife hater.

Postby Andre147

Well... enough of this. Ronnie will play earlier than he said he would be, full stop. Statment or no statment, it's good he decides to comeback earlier, especially in a tournament in China.

I do agree with Wild on one thing: no need to make those big anouncements, just enter and play the events you like, and give it all when playing, because that's what I hope he does in China like at last season's IC when Ronnie went out to an inspired performance from Wenbo and not because he simply couldnt care.

On a side note, I highly doubt he'll play in the IC because that will be too close to the CoC event. Will be interesting if the winner or runner up in the IC event are elegible to play in the CoC tourney, if they are, more than likely I think, they'll have to travel half the world again to play in the next 2 days I think.

Postby masterdoctorgenius

mantorok wrote:
Wildey wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:

only way to forget is if ronnie wins another WC and even then there is a small chance that pink doesnt leave my mind forever

Postby SnookerFan

masterdoctorgenius wrote:only way to forget is if ronnie wins another WC and even then there is a small chance that pink doesnt leave my mind forever

He'll win it next year, I reckon. Stop moaning.