Post a reply

Welsh Open Set For Cardiff

Postby Wildey

Snooker's BetVictor Welsh Open world ranking event will be staged in Cardiff this season for the first time since 2004.

The tournament has been staged in Newport in recent years but now moves to the Motorpoint Arena in the Welsh capital and will run from February 16th to 22nd, 2015.

The BBC Wales-televised event will be contested by 128 players, all starting in the same round, with a top prize of £60,000.

This year's final saw Ronnie O'Sullivan thrash Ding Junhui 9-3, making an incredible 147 maximum break in the last frame. Other winners in recent years include Stephen Maguire, Ding, John Higgins, Ali Carter, Mark Selby and Neil Robertson.

http://www.worldsnooker.com/page/NewsAr ... 63,00.html

Re: Welsh Open Set For Cardiff

Postby Wildey

Basically the Motorpoint Arena is the same place as the CIA which held the tournament between 1999 and 2004

http://www.livenation.co.uk/venue/3915/ ... na-tickets

Having been there to watch the snooker in the early 2000. back then it was as far away from being a fan friendly venue as you can get and by far my worst experience of going to watch Snooker.

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:At least there's going to be snooker in Llandudno now.

Is that convenient for you?

Llandudno is a hours drive away beats the 3 hour drive to anywhere else there's been Snooker tournaments.

Postby TheSaviour

So it will run from February 16th to 22nd, 2015.

I do remember times when the first tournament of the season were was it on october.. By no means I would be against this now when the season is already a very much on and running, but as a fan and a snooker spectator, I have a very little interest to follow these tournaments now during the summer. Saying that, I myself really like to play during the summer when it´s really hot. It creates a hell of a lot more challenges and difficulties when your bridgehand is a bound to sweat and getting sticky, and the same with the cue also. And those challenges and difficulties are something I am always looking when playing. I would guess that´s the case with many pros there too, so it really is a great that these tournaments are running almost a non-stop duirng the year. It is just that who the heck are actully following these summer tournaments....
It is a very different during the winter obviously. When I too am a very keen to follow tournaments like UK Championships, the Masters, obviously the Worlds, and the new I feel great staff like shoot-out and PTCs.

Postby Wildey

Im Very interested in following snooker all year round as it should be. Just because its Summer in Britain doesn't mean its summer in other part of the World for example its Pretty Cold in Australia at the Moment because its Winter there.

Postby SnookerFan

Yeah, I've never really understood this attitude of snooker shouldn't be played in the summer. Just because it's an inside sport and it's always hot outside, I guess.

Then again , in Britain in summer it's always raining anyway. If you can't go out eating ice cream and wearing shorts because it's snake hissing it down, why not have snooker on? A decent match is a decent match whether it's in August or December.

Postby SnookerFan

Using the same logic, you could argue that the UK Championship is too close to Christmas. It can get in the way of shopping or attending Christmas parties.

Doesn't mean it shouldn't be played. If I can't watch snooker because I have something else to do, it seems odd to insist that the tournament shouldn't be happening. "I'm busy this week, therefore nobody should have the chance to watch snooker." <laugh>

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:Using the same logic, you could argue that the UK Championship is too close to Christmas. It can get in the way of shopping or attending Christmas parties.

Doesn't mean it shouldn't be played. If I can't watch snooker because I have something else to do, it seems odd to insist that the tournament shouldn't be happening. "I'm busy this week, therefore nobody should have the chance to watch snooker." <laugh>

in my time ive known quite a few people over 80 that used to love watching snooker and couldn't go out all they had was the TV to keep them company why should the young suggest to the old that they should have better things to do over the summer?

Postby PLtheRef

7 days? That'll be fun with the 128 man draw.

Not really sure why it's left Newport other than to go to the Capital as the 128 format with the best of 7 early round games actually was a comfortable fit there.

Postby SnookerFan

PLtheRef wrote:7 days? That'll be fun with the 128 man draw.

Not really sure why it's left Newport other than to go to the Capital as the 128 format with the best of 7 early round games actually was a comfortable fit there.

I believe they feel that more people will attend Cardiff than Newport. As Newport is, to be fair, a bit of a dump.

Postby Muppet147

Wildey wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:Using the same logic, you could argue that the UK Championship is too close to Christmas. It can get in the way of shopping or attending Christmas parties.

in my time ive known quite a few people over 80 that used to love watching snooker and couldn't go out all they had was the TV to keep them company why should the young suggest to the old that they should have better things to do over the summer?

Yes but those 80 year old friends of yours all live in Wales, which is a country renowned for being crap. A few old dodderers living in Wales should not determine a TV company's programming output.

Postby SnookerFan

Muppet147 wrote:Yes but those 80 year old friends of yours all live in Wales, which is a country renowned for being crap. A few old dodderers living in Wales should not determine a TV company's programming output.

rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl

Postby Wildey

you know what muppett you got nothing possitive to say about anything and nothing your just a waste of space on here so ill give you 2 weeks off just so that you can think long and hard about the future if you want one on snooker island.