Post a reply

£10,000 suspended fine for Ding

Postby JDM375

World Snooker wrote:WPBSA Statement - Ding Junhui
04th July 2014

In accordance with his WSL Players Contract, Ding Junhui was referred by WSL to the WPBSA Disciplinary Committee to consider whether any further action was appropriate with regard to repeated breaches of his Players Contract.

On 1st July 2014 the WPBSA Disciplinary Committee found Ding Junhui to have breached the WPBSA Members and Disciplinary Rules in relation to late withdrawals from three events he had entered and for failing to attend the WSL Awards Dinner. The Disciplinary Committee took into account that Ding Junhui had already paid WSL fines of £6,750 in relation to these breaches of contract and decided that the appropriate sanction was a fine of £10,000 and to pay £1,000 towards the cost of the disciplinary process.

The £10,000 fine will be suspended until the conclusion of the 2014-15 season. This means that should Ding Junhui commit any other breach of his Players Contract up to and including the date of the 2015 Awards Dinner the Disciplinary Committee will, unless there are extreme mitigating circumstances, immediately upon conviction for any such breach, impose the fine of £10,000 in addition to any penalty for the new offence.

http://www.worldsnooker.com/page/NewsAr ... 17,00.html

Re: £10,000 suspended fine for Ding

Postby Wildey

Cloud Strife wrote:Barry 'Stalin' Hearn <doh>

Nobody in Snooker today is more important than Ding with the investment china gives to the sport and unfortunately Ding starts to think he is Bigger than the Sport.

Its time these players starts to realize who calls the shots and i feel this is to show everyone i wont take rubbish no matter who and hes taken Ding and made an example of him for others to see.

Postby Cloud Strife

Wildey wrote:

Nobody in Snooker today is more important than Ding with the investment china gives to the sport and unfortunately Ding starts to think he is Bigger than the Sport.

Its time these players starts to realize who calls the shots and i feel this is to show everyone i wont take rubbish no matter who and hes taken Ding and made an example of him for others to see.

Hearn, if he's not careful, will kill the goose that lays the golden eggs. His continued antagonism of Ronnie O'Sullivan nearly meant the loss of snookers greatest ever talent, thankfully Ronnie decided to be the bigger man. Hearn is now antagonising Ding Junhui and that will only end in tears...for Hearn.

And besides what sort of person forces someone to turn up to an awards dinner? It wouldn't happen in any other sport or even walk of life. After a long hard season, Ding may have decided to go back home to China for the off season. Was he really expected to fly all the way back for an awards ceremony?

Ronnie was right, these players' contracts are definitely onerous.

Postby Andre147

Cloud Strife wrote:
Wildey wrote:

Hearn, if he's not careful, will kill the goose that lays the golden eggs. His continued antagonism of Ronnie O'Sullivan nearly meant the loss of snookers greatest ever talent, thankfully Ronnie decided to be the bigger man. Hearn is now antagonising Ding Junhui and that will only end in tears...for Hearn.

And besides what sort of person forces someone to turn up to an awards dinner? It wouldn't happen in any other sport or even walk of life. After a long hard season, Ding may have decided to go back home to China for the off season. Was he really expected to fly all the way back for an awards ceremony?

Ronnie was right, these players' contracts are definitely onerous.

In part I agree with you, he shouldn't be forced to attend an awards dinner if he doesnt want to, and like you say after such a long season (and a disappointing Crucible run for that matter) he was more than entiteled to fly back to his home country to saty with his family and friends there. I don't think Ding should be too bothered about the fine, if I were in his place I would have done exactly the same thing.

And before some say the players at the start of each season or whatever sign that player's contract and know full well their responsabilities and commitments, I know that's true, and the part I don't agree with CS is that it was wrong for Ding to pull out of those 3 events after entering them, on that regard I agree with Hearn. But that player's contract or whatvever shouldn't like you say force player's to attend an awards meeting if they don't want to. Some might say if that was the case nobody would go, but I disagree. I still think the majority of the players, namely the winners of the season tourneys, would go regardless.

So yeah Ronnie was indeed right in saying some of the things in that player's contract clearly don't make much sense at all, and it showed in this stupid fine for Ding not atteding an awards meeting. As for the other fine (if it's indeed applied) for Ding pulling out of those events, like I said that one makes sense.

Postby Wildey

Andre

Sponsors dictate the players contract Sponsors wanted Ding at the awards dinner Sponsors pay the wages of every player. Over the years WPBSA Board after WPBSA Board has snake hissed off sponsors and snooker found it self in the poops financially.

Sponsors expect players to attend these things if they Win tournaments.

Barry Hearn and the WPBSA needs to attract better sponsors but with that will come Even more responsibility and better Attitude from the Players.

Postby Andre147

Wildey wrote:Andre

Sponsors dictate the players contract Sponsors wanted Ding at the awards dinner Sponsors pay the wages of every player. Over the years WPBSA Board after WPBSA Board has snake hissed off sponsors and snooker found it self in the poops financially.

Sponsors expect players to attend these things if they Win tournaments.

Barry Hearn and the WPBSA needs to attract better sponsors but with that will come Even more responsibility and better Attitude from the Players.

Fair enough, I know full sponsors are a huge part for this game to survive, any sport for that matter, but I still think it was a bit harsh on Ding that, maybe he thought he could afford not to attend it, but my guess is he obviously knows full well as he like any other player has to sign that players contract.

But as you say no player will ever be bigger than the sport, so despite being it in a harsh way that will send a message to all of the other players if they dont commit to that players contract.

I didn't undesrtand one thing though, is Ding still supposed to pay that fine for pulling out of those 3 events he first entered?

Postby Skullman

It's suspended, so if he breaches contract again, he'll have to pay however much the offence costs as well as the money. If Ding doesn't breach contract this season, then he won't have to pay.

PS I see the Dulux dog didn't last long.

Postby Wildey

lets be honest Ding could make up the £10,000 in winning any tournament on the tour if he breaches the contract again. i just hope the message will get through eventually Barry Hearn doesent do all this to snake hiss off players its about maximizing the potential of the sport for players benefit.

i do think he makes mistakes who doesent but unless everyone starts singing the same tune and toes the line regarding hospitality and promotions blue chip sponsors wont touch snooker and its more betting firms for a long long time if were lucky.