Post a reply

Sangsom World Six Reds European Qualifying 8th June

Postby roy142857

EBSA's qualifying event for the Sangsom World Six will be held on 8th June during the European Championships in Bulgaria. Entry is limited to one player per country.

Inconveniently for English Snooker, this is during their finals weekend (which includes the English Six Reds Championship final).

Re: Sangsom World Six Reds European Qualifying 8th June

Postby roy142857

English Snooker delayed their finals weekend (for other reasons), but they've simply selected one of the players in Sofia for the European Championship for this.

Format is 4 groups of 5 players, group winners each play a group loser in matches that will decide which four players will go to Thailand for the Sangsom World Six Reds. As you'll see, a mix of players from mens, masters and ladies events here, plus Malta's Alex Borg. Much to my surprise, group matches are best of 7, I'd been expecting best of 5.

Group A
Mitchell Mann (England)
Jamie Clarke (Wales)
Alain Vandersteen (Belgium)
Antti Mannila (Finland)
Daniel Mily (Czechia)

Group B
Kristján Helgason (Iceland)
Rune Kampe (Denmark)
Eden Sharav (Scotland)
Andreas Ploner (Austria)
Tatjana Vasiljeva (Latvia)

Group C
Alan Trigg (Ukraine)
Shachar Ruberg (Israel)
Adam Stefanów (Poland)
Anthony Brabin (Cyprus)
Oleg Levteev (Russia)

Group D
Alex Borg (Malta)
Joris Maas (Netherlands)
Wendy Jans (Belgium)
Jason Devaney (Ireland)
Murat Ayas (Switzerland)

Postby roy142857

Joris Maas and Wendy Jans currently in a decider in their Group D match, Rune Kampe's 3-2 up on Eden Sharav at the moment in Group B, Kampe's already beaten Andreas Ploner 4 - 2

Jamie Clarke and Mitchell Mann off to a good start in Group A, two wins each, likewise in Group C Alan Trigg has 2 wins, the last a deciding frame win against Anthony Brabin (who himself had a good 4-1 win over Shachar Ruberg)

Postby roy142857

Sharav did well, pulled out a 4-3 win against Kampe.

Maas edged Jans.

Jason Devaney now has 2 wins from 2 matches played, beat Borg 4 - 3 in Group D and closing in now on a 3rd win.

Mitchell Mann has now taken a 3rd win.

Alan Trigg's unbeaten run at risk, Adam Stefanów leading him 3-2

Postby roy142857

Sharav edges Helgason 4-3

Mitchell Mann beats Jamie Clarke 4-1 to get to a qualification match as the seed.

Alan Trigg 3 - 2 up on Shachar Ruberg, Ruberg currently 1 win from 2 matches, Trigg, Adam Stefanów and Anthony Brabin all 2 wins from 3 matches

I think they're quite a way behind ...

Postby roy142857

In Group C Shachar Ruberg should beat Russia's Oleg Levteev in his last group match to get through to a qualification match, he'll be joined by whoever wins Adam Stefanów v Anthony Brabin

Alex Borg and Jason Devaney have pretty much sorted getting through from Group D, only freak results would prevent it.

Postby roy142857

Brabin 3 - 1 up on Stefanów

Kristján Helgason beat Rune Kampe 4 - 2 in Group B. Eden Sharav is through from that group, but Andreas Ploner must beat Sharav in the last group if he's to go through, otherwise Helgason's win puts him through. Sharav leads 2 - 1

Postby roy142857

Jans beat Devaney, leaving Borg top of the group.

And Ploner beat Sharav 4 - 3

The Qualifying Matches
(Winners go to Thailand to play Sangsom World Six Reds)

Mitchell Mann (England) v Andreas Ploner (Austria)
Jason Devaney (Ireland) v Shachar Ruberg (Israel)
Eden Sharav (Scotland) v Jamie Clarke (Wales)
Alex Borg (Malta) v Adam Stefanów (Poland)

Postby roy142857

Alex Borg beats Adam Stefanów 5 - 4 to claim a place at the Sangsom World Six Reds.

Not sure what I think of a player with a Pro card playing in this and taking a place intended for a non-Pro Tour player, presumably it's allowable within EBSAs rules. Anyone else with thoughts on this?

Postby roy142857

Shachar Ruberg gets compensation for his European Championship quarter final loss earlier today by beating Jason Devaney 5 - 4.

Nice spread of countries representing EBSA at the Sangsom Six Reds - Austria, Israel (not very European though!), Malta and Wales.

Postby kolompar

roy142857 wrote:Alex Borg beats Adam Stefanów 5 - 4 to claim a place at the Sangsom World Six Reds.

Not sure what I think of a player with a Pro card playing in this and taking a place intended for a non-Pro Tour player, presumably it's allowable within EBSAs rules. Anyone else with thoughts on this?

I dont think its for a non-tour player, just simply for a European player, to make it more of a world championship

I think its totally ok for a main tour player to play here
the players at the 6red wc are the top 16, Thai players, and some international nominations and looks like some invitations like Steve Davis
so the lower ranked pros have to play in these events to qualify, and I would prefer them then some amateurs