Post a reply

Most popular snooker players

Postby Holden Chinaski

I was just wondering about which snooker players have been the crowds favourites through the years.
I think Alex Higgins is without a doubt the most popular player ever, and after him I think it's safe to say Ronnie and Jimmy are the most popular. But who do you think have been the other popular snooker players? I'm not sure... maybe Mark Williams and Paul Hunter? Some say Judd, but I'm not sure if he's that popular...

Let's create a top five:

1. Alex Higgins
2. Ronnie O'Sullivan
3. Jimmy White
4. ?
5. ?

So, who do you think are the most popular snooker players ever?

Re: Most popular snooker players

Postby Andy Spark

I agree with the top three of Ronnie, Jimmy and Alex. A name I'd add to those mentioned: Tony Drago, he was always very popular for his speed and personality.

1/Alex Higgins
2/Ronnie
3/Jimmy
4/Tony Drago
5/Mark Williams or maybe Paul Hunter

Postby Holden Chinaski

LukeB wrote:Steve Davis must be on the top5.

Steve is popular now, but he wasn't very popular when he was young. A lot of people hated him.

Postby Alyt

Interesting to see that so many people liked Alex Higgins. They say he was the people's champion.

For me he was an awesome player but an incredible selfish men, who spewed his money on drink and gambling, destroying his health. The he died, with no money, letting his family alone.

Jimmy white could have ended the same.

Ronnie was a total drugged douchebag back a few years ago.

Audience seems to like decadent people, not the type of players i would be happy to see my kids fans of.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Alyt wrote:Interesting to see that so many people liked Alex Higgins. They say he was the people's champion.

For me he was an awesome player but an incredible selfish men, who spewed his money on drink and gambling, destroying his health. The he died, with no money, letting his family alone.

Audience seems to like decadent people, not the type of players i would be happy to see my kids fans of.

Alex played a very exciting, flamboyant and attacking type of snooker. So did Jimmy and so does Ronnie. All three of them like to play fast and entertain the crowd. On top of that they are probably the three most naturally talented players the game's ever seen. No wonder they are the most popular players.

I have never seen more entertaining and exciting snooker than Alex, Jimmy and Ronnie playing at their best.

Postby vodkadiet

Cliff Wilson was an exciting player to watch. However, his best days were gone by the time snooker became a popular television sport,

Joe Johnson was another who the public warmed to, particularly in his golden year of 1986!

Postby Andre147

Holden Chinaski wrote:
Alyt wrote:Interesting to see that so many people liked Alex Higgins. They say he was the people's champion.

Alex played a very exciting, flamboyant and attacking type of snooker. So did Jimmy and so does Ronnie. All three of them like to play fast and entertain the crowd. On top of that they are probably the three most naturally talented players the game's ever seen. No wonder they are the most popular players.

I have never seen more entertaining and exciting snooker than Alex, Jimmy and Ronnie playing at their best.

Yeah I agree, those 3 are definately the most crowd pleasing and entertaining players Snooker has ever seen.

On the other hand, some might disagree but anyway, it's always very nice to watch great safety players at their absolute best, namely Steve Davis, John Higgins, Peter Ebdon and Mark Selby just to name a few.

I won't deny, I prefer the attacking side of the game and players like those 3 greats you mentioned, but we also need the safety side to balance things up I think, would be boring if all players went all out attack as it also would be boring if all players were like Dave Harold for instance <laugh>

Postby Andre147

vodkadiet wrote:Cliff Wilson was an exciting player to watch. However, his best days were gone by the time snooker became a popular television sport,

Joe Johnson was another who the public warmed to, particularly in his golden year of 1986!

Johnson was a strange player in that time wasn't he... didn't do well in the other tourneys but somehow went on to win in 1986 and reached the Final in 1987, some forget but he along with Ken Doherty in 1998 were the only first time Crucible champs who did manage to reach the Final next year, but of course the Crucible curse got to them in the end.

Selby will too get it next year, it's inevitable I think. However, if Selby were to win it next year, well... I would rate that as one of the finest achievments in this game. Hell, even Stephen Hendry lost in the quarters in 1991 to Steve James.

Postby Wildey

Steve James was around 1990/1991 one of the most devastating long potters there's ever been some thought he was a better long potter than Stephen Hendry and that is some compliment and was a very popular player at the time. He still played on the Main Tour as late as 2005 but his best days was long gone.