Post a reply

Officially approved rests

Postby Mastermind

Does anyone know the official list of WPBSA approved snooker accessories? I speak only in reference to rests and extensions. I've so far failed to find anything online. There're some inventions (K-Rest, Flexi-Rest, Hook-Rest) that I've never seen used at a televised ranking event. Is that because they're banned by World Snooker? I'd like to see an inventory of apparatus available at a table at a World Championship match, for example.

Re: Officially approved rests

Postby Roland

From my understanding it's completely different to the way they deal with things compared with golf and putters for example, which is how your post reads in your interpretation of use of the rest in snooker. I can't remember ever hearing of a rest that was deemed illegal, and if there is such a rest invented that is so good you can't miss, I don't think even that would be deemed illegal because well, apart from it being impossible, playing with a rest no matter what shape it is won't be as easy as being able to reach the shot without a rest. I think the examples you mentioned like the hook rest comes up so infrequently that they decided they don't need one.

I did recently (as I was drifting off to sleep) think of a shape of rest to deal with those shots you face down the rail with the white just past the middle pocket close to cushion cutting back the shot. But if what I thought of would make any money it would already exist. I mean if you look back during the whole World Championships with all tables televised, even in an event that big with so many frames played, the shot only came up maybe about 5 times in total. So what's the point in banning such a tool if one is ever invented that makes that shot easier if it's hardly ever used?

Postby Mastermind

Thanks for your reply. The reason I used the term 'WPBSA approved' is because of the wording in the official rules regarding ancillary equipment, which is as follows:

'Various cue rests, long cues (called butts and half-butts according to
length), extensions and adaptors may be used by players faced with
difficult positions for cueing. These may form part of the equipment
normally found at the table but also include equipment introduced by
either player or the referee (see also Section 3 Rule 18). All extensions,
adaptors and other devices to aid cueing must be of a design approved
by the WPBSA'

This indicates that a player couldn't just bring along any piece of equipment and use it at a world championship match. Have you ever seen a player use a Q-Rite, for example? I've emailed world snooker regarding the matter, but am yet to receive a response.

Postby Roland

Yes they have been used on tv but Q-Rite are pretty crap so no one carries them.

I remember Stephen Lee using a new type of rest someone was plugging a couple of years back. Lee was obviously on some sort of commission to be seen using it on tv. Anyway he placed the device (a bit like a Q-Rite but bigger and heavier) on the standard rest and soon as he put his cue on the groove the whole thing tipped over. Luckily for him he didn't foul a ball and managed to play the shot but from that one usage it was enough to put anyone off ever owning one.

I've never seen a list of approved rest heads and I've never heard of one being banned. The only rule on equipment that I know of is that cues have to be longer than 3ft in length.

Postby Mastermind

Finally received a response from World Snooker after a month of waiting, which is as follows:

Dear Trystan

The flexi-rest has never been approved by WPBSA.

At the World Championship this season the equipment provided at the table was,

1 x long extendable crosshead rest.

1 x long extendable spider.

2 x crosshead rests.

1 x spider.

1 x extended spider.

1 x swan neck spider.

2 x telescopic cue extensions.

Thanks

World Snooker Ltd