Postby Wildey

World Snooker Player of the Year: Ronnie O'Sullivan
Snooker Writers Player of the Year: Ding Junhui
Fans Player of the Year: Ronnie O'Sullivan
Rookie of the Year: John Astley
Performance of the Year: Mark Selby
Magic Moment of the Year: Mark Selby
Special award for 100 Centuries: Neil Robertson
147 Club (players making a 147 during the season): Neil Robertson, Judd Trump, Mark Selby, Dechawat Poomjaeng, Gary Wilson, Shaun Murphy, Ronnie O'Sullivan
Hall of Fame inductees: Dennis Taylor and Cliff Thorburn

Re: World Snooker Awards

Postby SnookerFan

TWITTER ATTACK!

Matthew Selt ‏@MattSelt Soooo, Ding wins 5 ranking tournaments in a single season but they give Player of the year to a man who's only won 1.. Work that one out!!!

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:TWITTER ATTACK!

Matthew Selt ‏@MattSelt Soooo, Ding wins 5 ranking tournaments in a single season but they give Player of the year to a man who's only won 1.. Work that one out!!!

its not strictly the only tournament he won but for me Ding Junhui was the player of the year and despite the reputation of being bullshitters the journos got it right.

Postby SnookerFan

I'm assuming the Magic Moment award was for winning The World Championship? The last few pots, and the fist pump was pretty special.

Postby Holden Chinaski

SnookerFan wrote:I'm assuming the Magic Moment award was for winning The World Championship? The last few pots, and the fist pump was pretty special.

i think the magic moment was the 100th 147.

Postby SnookerFan

Holden Chinaski wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:I'm assuming the Magic Moment award was for winning The World Championship? The last few pots, and the fist pump was pretty special.

Then why was it awarded to Mark Selby?

Postby Holden Chinaski

SnookerFan wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:

Then why was it awarded to Mark Selby?

Because he made the 100th 147? Remember the UK championship?

Postby Skullman

Wow, they really scraped the bottom of the barrel for Rookie of the Year this year. Can't actually remember any noteworthy wins for Astley.

Guess it was just a default as all the players who actually did well on the first year of their tour card have already been on tour before.

Postby Andy Spark

Matthew Selt obviously hasn't worked out the concept of the triple crown of snooker majors yet! Well done to World Snooker for giving Ronnie O'Sullivan the title of player of the year. :-)

The snooker writers are just being silly giving their award to Ding Junhui. :roll: Snooker is mostly about the Masters, UK and World Championship. Ding has done nothing in those. Mind you, I've spent ages reading the work of snooker writers and I know how silly they can be.

Postby Wildey

Skullman wrote:Wow, they really scraped the bottom of the barrel for Rookie of the Year this year. Can't actually remember any noteworthy wins for Astley.

Guess it was just a default as all the players who actually did well on the first year of their tour card have already been on tour before.

Lyu Hoatian reached the Final of the Asian tour event 3 beating Graeme Dott and Xiao Guodong on route and Finished ahead of John Astley on the Money List which i thought they are now going with.

I Guess Awarding John Astley Rookie of the year was the last ever function of Points World Rankings.

Postby Wildey

Andy Spark wrote:

Matthew Selt obviously hasn't worked out the concept of the triple crown of snooker majors yet! Well done to World Snooker for giving Ronnie O'Sullivan the title of player of the year. :-)

The snooker writers are just being silly giving their award to Ding Junhui. :roll: Snooker is mostly about the Masters, UK and World Championship. Ding has done nothing in those. Mind you, I've spent ages reading the work of snooker writers and I know how silly they can be.

Selby should win it then

World Champion
UK and Masters Runner up

Postby Andy Spark

Wildey wrote:
Andy Spark wrote:

Selby should win it then

World Champion
UK and Masters Runner up

I said mostly. Ronnie has also won the Welsh Open, Champion of Champions and the Paul Hunter. Selby hasn't really won anything other than the World Championship.

Postby Wildey

it was a close thing granted but Ding still edged Ronnie and BTW Selby was not in the running

1 Ding
2 Ronnie
3 Robbo

Postby vodkadiet

These awards are meaningless. They are just a matter of opinion. Winning trophies on the table is where it counts.

O'Sullivan would rather have the world championship trophy than every one of these awards for the next and previous decade.

Postby Andy Spark

vodkadiet wrote:These awards are meaningless. They are just a matter of opinion. Winning trophies on the table is where it counts.

O'Sullivan would rather have the world championship trophy than every one of these awards for the next and previous decade.

Well, I'd take Ronnie winning every one of these awards for the next decade in preference to the World trophy now because you can't win them without also winning (lots of) trophies. The World Championship is the most important thing, but winning this award gives you an indication that you've done very well on your season long quest to win on the table. After all, the season is more than just 17 days at the Crucible and nobody can win the World Championship every year.

Postby Wildey

of course its meaningless this shows just how much lol

its just a end of season snake hiss up

Postby Wildey

Andy Spark wrote:
vodkadiet wrote:These awards are meaningless. They are just a matter of opinion. Winning trophies on the table is where it counts.

Well, I'd take Ronnie winning every one of these awards for the next decade in preference to the World trophy now because you can't win them without also winning (lots of) trophies. The World Championship is the most important thing, but winning this award gives you an indication that you've done very well on your season long quest to win on the table. After all, the season is more than just 17 days at the Crucible and nobody can win the World Championship every year.

Awards from fans means nothing they are fickle

Postby SnookerFan

Holden Chinaski wrote:Because he made the 100th 147? Remember the UK championship?

Sorry, I misread. rofl

I thought you were talking about the Century of Centuries by Robbo. <laugh>

Postby SnookerFan

Wildey wrote:Awards from fans means nothing they are fickle

More often than not, it's the opposite.

A fanboy awarding something to their favourite player isn't fickle enough.

Postby Wildey

SnookerFan wrote:
Wildey wrote:Awards from fans means nothing they are fickle

More often than not, it's the opposite.

A fanboy awarding something to their favourite player isn't fickle enough.

the voting for this takes place during the World Championship where every tom sausage becomes experts in snooker and havent a clue what happened rest of the year

Postby SnookerFan

Wildey wrote:the voting for this takes place during the World Championship where every tom sausage becomes experts in snooker and havent a clue what happened rest of the year

We're just saying the same thing, but looking at it differently.

You meant fickle to suggest that they're only fans for one tournament a year.

I said they weren't meaning that they'd probably have voted Ronnie anyway. Whatever happens.

In the end, the result is the same.

Postby Sickpotter

Ding should have got the WSPOTY....it's been 2 decades since another player won 5 rankers in a season.

What kind of criteria were they using?

Postby Andre147

Wildey wrote:it was a close thing granted but Ding still edged Ronnie and BTW Selby was not in the running

1 Ding
2 Ronnie
3 Robbo

Yeah that would also be my top list, Ding definately deserved the title of Player of the Year.

But like Vodka says, these awards are meaningless and what really counts is the titles won.

Mind you, if Ronnie had won the World Champs I would have given him the Player of the Year Award, but since he didn't Ding should have had it.

Nevermind.... :wave:

Postby Roland

Andy Spark wrote:

What a silly post!

As Wildey pointed out by your criteria Selby should win it then as he won the big one and finished runner-up in the other two.

Ding was clearly the one who should have won this award, and judging by the backlash on twitter when it was announced that Ronnie won it, the majority of snooker fans and players alike agree with this.

Ronnie won two invitationals (COC and Masters), a flat 128 ranker (Welsh) and a PTC.

Ding won 5 flat 128 rankers and was runner up in another.

Flat 128 ranking events involve winning 7 matches in a row.

Postby Smart

Hall of Fame inductees: Dennis Taylor and Cliff Thorburn

absolute disgrace - he is a hall of famer in his head only, total hammer.

BBCs most despised commentator: John Parrot / Dennis Taylor - could not be split

Eurosport most despised commentator: Studd

Postby Andy Spark

Sonny wrote:What a silly post!

As Wildey pointed out by your criteria Selby should win it then as he won the big one and finished runner-up in the other two.

Ding was clearly the one who should have won this award, and judging by the backlash on twitter when it was announced that Ronnie won it, the majority of snooker fans and players alike agree with this.

Ronnie won two invitationals (COC and Masters), a flat 128 ranker (Welsh) and a PTC.

Ding won 5 flat 128 rankers and was runner up in another.

Flat 128 ranking events involve winning 7 matches in a row.

Look, the truth is there is an anti Ronnie bias among snooker writers/bloggers and snooker internet forums. It comes as a reaction against the pro Ronnie bias that exists among those that don't follow snooker so avidly, those that exist outside the "snooker bubble" if you like. Just as those outside the snooker bubble have a great deal of difficulty seeing their own pro Ronnie bias, so too the snooker writers and internet forums like this one have a great deal of difficulty seeing their own anti Ronnie bias.

Once you understand this then it all becomes perfectly rational why World Snooker and the fans went with Ronnie, while the writers and snooker internet dwellers are surprised and think Ding is the obvious choice.

Postby Roland

Ever heard of pro-Ronnie bias? That's you

Postby vodkadiet

The Ronnie O'Sullivan award which is awarded to the player who looks, plays, and behaves most like Ronnie O'Sullivan goes to.......................................

Ronnie O'Sullivan!

Postby The Cueist

I can see what you mean , Did Ronnie particularly want that award.

What can he do if he wins one , Refuse it.

It wiill be interesting to see how Ron will play next season.