Post a reply

Do you think Judd Trump can be the next Ronnie O Sullivan.?

Postby sahgalvishesh

Hey guys...I was just watching the ronnie o sullivan documentary where Jimmy White has stated that Judd Trump could be the next Ronnie O sullivan in the rising..

What are your thoughts? Is his gameplay like Ronnie and Can he be as composed as Ronnie or would he just be the bloke with amazing talent...

Feel Free to share your thoughts

Re: Do you think Judd Trump can be the next Ronnie O Sulliva

Postby Sickpotter

He could be the new Ronnie only in that he plays an attacking game that appeals to the general public.

I don't see the temperament in Judd TBH, he's bottled some seriously big leads and that often creates a mental fragility that some players can't recover from.

Postby Andre147

Cloud Strife wrote:What a silly question.

There will never be another Ronnie O'Sullivan, so don't even look for it because it ain't going to happen.

of course not eyah you're absolutely right.

Trump being the new Ronnie rofl :wave:

But I do hope one player comes along and carries on the mantle like the greats Alex Higgins, Jimmy White and Ronnie have done.

In saying this when he reached the Final of the Worlds 2011 I thought he could be a similar Ronnie type player, but now he will never be it, his popularity has decreased massively due to his arrogant demeanour off table. I appreciate his talent, but I don't like him.

Postby Cloud Strife

Andre147 wrote:

There will never be another Ronnie O'Sullivan, so don't even look for it because it ain't going to happen.

But I do hope one player comes along and carries on the mantle like the greats Alex Higgins, Jimmy White and Ronnie have done.

In saying this when he reached the Final of the Worlds 2011 I thought he could be a similar Ronnie type player, but now he will never be it, his popularity has decreased massively due to his arrogant demeanour off table. I appreciate his talent, but I don't like him.

Yeah, I too thought Trump could be the one to carry on that lineage, but as you said, he's not endeared himself to the public in the same way that Alex, Jimmy and Ronnie did.

I just don't see anyone coming along that will be in the same mould as those three which is really quite sad, TBH. It's depressing to think there won't ever be anyone like that coming through again.

That's why we need to appreciate Ronnie whilst he is still around, 'cause in 20 years time the tour will be full of robotic Chinese players with the mindset of a Davis or a Hendry. Yep, that's what we've got to look forward to folks. Can't wait!

In 20 years time we'll look back on Ronnie O'Sullivan as someone who represented the halcyon days of snooker, someone who was not afraid to be a human being and played the game with the kind of panache that others can only dream of.

Postby Andre147

Cloud Strife wrote:
Andre147 wrote:

Yeah, I too thought Trump could be the one to carry on that lineage, but as you said, he's not endeared himself to the public in the same way that Alex, Jimmy and Ronnie did.

I just don't see anyone coming along that will be in the same mould as those three which is really quite sad, TBH. It's depressing to think there won't ever be anyone like that coming through again.

That's why we need to appreciate Ronnie whilst he is still around, 'cause in 20 years time the tour will be full of robotic Chinese players with the mindset of a Davis or a Hendry. Yep, that's what we've got to look forward to folks. Can't wait!

In 20 years time we'll look back on Ronnie O'Sullivan as someone who represented the halcyon days of snooker, someone who was not afraid to be a human being and played the game with the kind of panache that others can only dream of.

Yes CS I definately agree, in 20 years time we will be looking back and thinking, what a great time it was when we watched snooker back then, the Barry Hearn Revolution plus still being able to watch Ronnie at the peak of his powers, thats when we will be truly grateful we managed to watch the sport evolve at this time.

I too fear in 20 years time more than half the tour will be filled with Chinese players as great talents coming from the UK seems to have gone backwards. At least we now have Europe to fall back on so most likely by then there will be a few European players at the top of the game, at least that's what I hope it happens.

Postby Roland

Judd isn't a people's champion but he's an exciting player and we've not seen the best of him yet by a long stretch. Luca is another exciting talent who will eventually break through.

I don't know why Judd is being compared to O'Sullivan, they are different players. Judd is more in the mould of Jimmy White and Mark Williams than Ronnie.

Postby roy142857

I find the assumption that Chinese players will all be robotic and lacking in personality a bit weird, I see no reason why an outstanding player with an outstanding personality shouldn't emerge from China.

I also rather think that, whilst there will be a substantial number of Chinese players, there will also be a number of players from a widening number of other countries too. A Tour that ends up somewhere down the line one third British Isles, one third Chinese and one third 'Rest of the World' wouldn't surprise me at all.

Re Judd Trump, still very early in his career, he has the talent to be an outstanding player but needs to add some more dimensions to his game (particularly better shot choice and more consistency).

Postby Skullman

In regards to the Chinese players, I'd find it a lot harder to express myself in a second language as well. Ding's been showing more personality in recent years and I don't think it's a coincidence that that's happened when his English improved.

Postby Wildey

Who cares about the next Ronnie each and every player has their own qualities and something that they bring to the table a tour full of Ronnie clones will be just as Boring as a tour full of Rory McLeod When Ronnie hangs up his cue nobody will really care because like all great champions of the past it was a moment in history and we will move on with new younger players to greater heights its called evolution.

Personally i think its the Fault of Ronnie and Hendry why young players dont come through any more. Everyone wants to attack balls and make breaks in one visit well trying to copy those two players is a recipe for disaster. Id prefer Young Players to look at someone like Mark Selby that works hard and gets the most out of his ability Just like the previous generations did with Steve Davis or Ray Reardon.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Wildey wrote:Who cares about the next Ronnie each and every player has their own qualities and something that they bring to the table a tour full of Ronnie clones will be just as Boring as a tour full of Rory McLeod When Ronnie hangs up his cue nobody will really care because like all great champions of the past it was a moment in history and we will move on with new younger players to greater heights its called evolution.

Personally i think its the Fault of Ronnie and Hendry why young players dont come through any more. Everyone wants to attack balls and make breaks in one visit well trying to copy those two players is a recipe for disaster. Id prefer Young Players to look at someone like Mark Selby that works hard and gets the most out of his ability Just like the previous generations did with Steve Davis or Ray Reardon.

In the Reardon days, most young players wanted to play like Alex Higgins. In the Davis days most young players wanted to play like Jimmy White.

Without Alex Higgins and Jimmy White snooker would not be were it is now. And without Ronnie snooker would have a hard time finding sponsors.

I also find it funny how you seem to think Ronnie is just a natural talent who doesn't work hard. Ronnie has worked very hard and disciplined at his game from a very young age. He is one of the hardest workers in thegame ever. When he was young all he did was practice and study Steve Davis and Hendry. He trained himself to be a good left handed player by playing everything left handed in practice. He worked with Ray Reardon on his safety game and now he works with Steve Peters on the mental side of it. On top of that he keeps himself fit. Hardest worker in the game if you ask me. Why do you think he's still playing great at 38 years old? It's not natural talent, look at Jimmy White, its hard work.

Selby is a brilliant player, and young people could learn a lot from him. But do you know who Selby looked up to as a kid? Do you know who Selby's hero was when he was a young lad dreaming of a snooker career? Was it Reardon or Davis? No, it was Ronnie O'Sullivan!

:-)

Postby Wildey

Different is they wanted to play like Alex or Jimmy however if they wanted to be a success they looked at Ray or Steve.

in the 90s Hendry was the Success story and these Days not only is Ronnie exciting to watch he is also successful beyond his peers with it.

Postby Andre147

Holden Chinaski wrote:
Wildey wrote:Who cares about the next Ronnie each and every player has their own qualities and something that they bring to the table a tour full of Ronnie clones will be just as Boring as a tour full of Rory McLeod When Ronnie hangs up his cue nobody will really care because like all great champions of the past it was a moment in history and we will move on with new younger players to greater heights its called evolution.

In the Reardon days, most young players wanted to play like Alex Higgins. In the Davis days most young players wanted to play like Jimmy White.

Without Alex Higgins and Jimmy White snooker would not be were it is now. And without Ronnie snooker would have a hard time finding sponsors.

I also find it funny how you seem to think Ronnie is just a natural talent who doesn't work hard. Ronnie has worked very hard and disciplined at his game from a very young age. He is one of the hardest workers in thegame ever. When he was young all he did was practice and study Steve Davis and Hendry. He trained himself to be a good left handed player by playing everything left handed in practice. He worked with Ray Reardon on his safety game and now he works with Steve Peters on the mental side of it. On top of that he keeps himself fit. Hardest worker in the game if you ask me. Why do you think he's still playing great at 38 years old? It's not natural talent, look at Jimmy White, its hard work.

Selby is a brilliant player, and young people could learn a lot from him. But do you know who Selby looked up to as a kid? Do you know who Selby's hero was when he was a young lad dreaming of a snooker career? Was it Reardon or Davis? No, it was Ronnie O'Sullivan!

:-)

Very good post Holden, my thoughts exactly <ok> :hatoff:

Ronnie was born to play snooker there isn't much doubt about that, but as you say he did and does have to work very very hard to achieve that level he's currently at and between all those years as a pro. Davi's was definately Ronnie's first role model he looked up to, in his documentary he gave at ITV a year ago he said he copied Steve in everything he did, he used to watch his matches and even recorded them on the good old VHS tapes to learn and copy how Steve moved around the table, his procedures in lining up to the shot, shot selection, etc. He said when he started as a pro he even copied Steve on the waistcoats he used to wear, it definately an obcession, like Ronnie himself said, to try and emulate Steve in everything he did.

And yeah definately agree that without these 3 great of the game and pure crowd pleasers and entertainers in Alex, Jimmy and Ronnie Snooker definately wouldnt be what it is today.

Alex, although he too had a terrific safety game, was the very first attacking player along with his flair and manners on and off the table, before Alex everything was more based on safety play, Alex like I said was the first attacking player that brought the attacking side to the game.

And I just laugh (and Alex's daughter too for that matter in a BBC doc about a year ago on her dad) when they, especially Rob Walker say that Judd plays "naughty snooker" rofl

Postby SnookerFan

Judd is a fanny. He believes his own hype so much, that he often blows big matches that he should win.

Lost to McLeod in The Crucible first round. No way he should've lost that.

The only thing he's done this season that is comparable to Ronnie is blob a lot of finals.

Postby Dan-cat

Cloud Strife wrote:
Andre147 wrote:

Disagree. I think this is a rather negative outlook. Some of the young Chinese players look amazingly skilled for such a young age and play exciting snooker. I look forward to the next era with fascination.

Postby Pink Ball

Dan-cat wrote:
Cloud Strife wrote:
Andre147 wrote:

Disagree. I think this is a rather negative outlook. Some of the young Chinese players look amazingly skilled for such a young age and play exciting snooker. I look forward to the next era with fascination.

Each snooker day is a blessing, that's what I always say.

Postby Ronnie79

[quote="Roland"]Judd isn't a people's champion but he's an exciting player and we've not seen the best of him yet by a long stretch. Luca is another exciting talent who will eventually break through.

I don't know why Judd is being compared to O'Sullivan, they are different players. Judd is more in the mould of Jimmy White and Mark Williams than
Last edited by Ronnie79 on 21 Jun 2017, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Ronnie79

I think you are wrong when Ronnie hangar up his cue a lot of people will care me included

Postby SnookerFan

Ronnie79 wrote:
Roland wrote:Judd isn't a people's champion but he's an exciting player and we've not seen the best of him yet by a long stretch. Luca is another exciting talent who will eventually break through.

I don't know why Judd is being compared to O'Sullivan, they are different players. Judd is more in the mould of Jimmy White and Mark Williams than Ronnie.

What the hell are you talking about Trump is not the same type player as Mark Williams with Jimmy White yes. Jimmy White and Williams weren't the same type players either

You'll be waiting a long time for a reply from Roland.