Post a reply

Snooker - The Changing Conditions of the Table

Postby NNear

How have the tables changed over the years of the Open Era in Snooker, when did these changes occur?

Maybe some changes have documented evidence and others are just observations that you've perceived over the years.

Perhaps we could come to some sort of general agreement and consensus regarding historical general changes to the pure playing conditions of Snooker tables since about 1968/69.

*** EDIT:

While we're at it. The balls are important as well as the table.

Re: Snooker - The Changing Conditions of the Table

Postby Holden Chinaski

The balls have changed a lot. They used to be a lot heavier. Robbo wouldn't make a hundred centuries with those heavy balls they used to have.

If you really want the details on the history of the balls and tables, you would be better of starting a thread on the snooker forum. Lots of people on that forum who know everything about this stuff.

Postby Holden Chinaski

NNear wrote:Bah, I've already joined one snooker forum.

If you want to learn about the history of snooker, the snooker forum is the place to go. I've learned a lot there.

This forum is more about pointless discussions about the personalities of snooker players and stuff. It's a bit of a snooker soap opera forum.

Postby AC or LT?

Holden Chinaski wrote:

If you want to learn about the history of snooker, the snooker forum is the place to go. I've learned a lot there.

This forum is more about pointless discussions about the personalities of snooker players and stuff. It's a bit of a snooker soap opera forum.

If you like the snooker forum so much snake hiss off back to it.

As far as I'm concerned the snooker forum is ran by a neurotic braindead imbecile, completely unwelcoming and full of halfwits who think they no what they are on about but are in fact ultimate CDL cuntjobs.

I get why you like it now?

Postby NNear

AC or LT? wrote:
Holden Chinaski wrote:

If you like the snooker forum so much snake hiss off back to it.

As far as I'm concerned the snooker forum is ran by a neurotic braindead imbecile, completely unwelcoming and full of halfwits who think they no what they are on about but are in fact ultimate CDL cuntjobs.

I get why you like it now?

That was needlessly aggressive. He was just trying to help me.

So anyway, any information on the changing conditions of the Snooker table and balls will be greatly appreciated. Ultimately having a discussion about it here means that when people search the topic in the future, this forum will be one of the first search results and interested people will be led here and also maybe join the forum

I've committed now to a forum so I'll do my bit to bring more traffic and interest to it, same as the rest of you.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Don't know about ferret, never had any trouble with him. But there are some members there who know a lot about the history of snooker.

Never been insulted there. Been insulted here many times.

Reason why I'm also here is this forum discusses current matches more. The snooker forum is more about the history of the game, and about cues and snooker training and stuff. Very interesting sometimes.

Postby The Cueist

Nnear , Each to their own on forum choice.
Conditions of play have changed in that the Star tables pockets are cut very tight.

A slight degree or two off of potting angle means rattle and a bot more off means bounce out.

So more anxiety attatched to middle distance and longmpots.

Quarter ball cuts in the red blavk are.

Also cloths are getting thinner and faster, be much like playing on a skating rink as compared to a club table.

Cushions are bouncier.

It is hard to find the balance in two ball control with these conditions on a player.

Balls are lighter hence kicks or jumping.

I know no more than the above.

I hope this explains a few things.

Postby NNear

Thanks, it does explain a few things. The things you explained are also what I imagined, especially regarding the 'skating rink' analogy.

I wonder if any interviews have been conducted with the players regarding the changing conditions. I know that Steve Davis and Tony Knowles talked about it somewhat in an old series... link here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SR_zHr9VM8

Steve Davis & Friends.

I can't remember the time stamp but Knowles discusses his problem of adjusting to the new quicker cloths.

Postby The Cueist

I will take a look at that interview Nnear.
Knowles saying he foundbit difficult to adjust.
Well I suppose you do end up suppressing your naturalcue action follow through.

To compensate for the speed of cloth.
I dare say coming from thenold cloths like bowling green to ice rinkfast cloths must be a ightmare.

Where is the interim on your attuned muscle guages which have been instilled in you through your years ofbplaying the game.

I play the game and I have done for 30 years.

I could control cueball better on thicker cloths.
In themid nineties snooker clubs adopted the faster cloths like the pros were using.

I found cue ball control a nightmare for a year or so.
I use a heavey 18.5 oz cue as I go off with a light cue.

Just neede to learn to hit the ball differntly.

A mate I used to play regularly used to make frequent 50 and 60 odd breaks with a stun game.

That is how he found tbe best way to tame fast tables.