Post a reply

Senior World Championship announced

Postby Monique

We had a "champagne moment" this afternoon as WBBSA announced the Senior World Championship to be held later this year...

http://snookerscene.blogspot.com/2010/0 ... nship.html?
SENIORS SET FOR WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP
The first World Seniors Championship for 19 years will be staged next season, featuring some of snooker's best known faces.

Seven world champions - Steve Davis, John Parrott, Ken Doherty, Dennis Taylor, Alex Higgins, Joe Johnson and Peter Ebdon - as well as Jimmy White will be seeded through to the final stages of the over 40s event in November.

A qualifying competition next month is set to include Tony Drago, Mike Hallett, Darren Morgan, David Taylor, Nigel Bond, Dave Harold, Tony Knowles and Joe Swail.

Cliff Wilson beat Eddie Charlton 5-4 in the final of the 1991 World Seniors Championship.

There have been other seniors events since but this is the first to carry the World Championship title and will carry prize money of £50,000.

Johnson, one of the co-organisers, said: “I have been working very hard to pull this concept together and I am glad that with World Snooker’s help we are making it a reality.

"I cannot wait to get out on the floor and battle it out with my old friends and adversaries. Snooker fans have been crying out for this type of event and I am sure that we will do our best to put on an entertaining Championship.”

The qualifiers will be held at Cue Gardens, Bradford from May 28-30.

The televised final stages will be held at Cedar Court Hotel, Bradford from November 5-7.

Re: Senior World Championship announced

Postby Wildey

Monique wrote:
Cheesyman99 wrote:Swail a senior?

he's 40 ... born 69 like Hendry.

Hendry not playing ?

if they droped the senior part he would have :)

Postby Bourne

wildJONESEYE wrote:
Monique wrote:
Cheesyman99 wrote:Swail a senior?

he's 40 ... born 69 like Hendry.

Hendry not playing ?

if they droped the senior part he would have :)

Nah he's too old ...

Postby Casey

If you hold a top 48 ranking you should not be allowed to enter. Anyway good news, televised final stages….I wonder on what station?

Postby Wildey

case_master wc wrote:If you hold a top 48 ranking you should not be allowed to enter. Anyway good news, televised final stages….I wonder on what station?

UK Gold rofl

Postby NedB-H

case_master wc wrote:If you hold a top 48 ranking you should not be allowed to enter. Anyway good news, televised final stages….I wonder on what station?

or at least, you should get in automatically ahead of genuine has beens like Taylor and Johnson

Postby Wildey

NedB-H wrote:

or at least, you should get in automatically ahead of genuine has beens like Taylor and Johnson

but its a hasbeen event if they not in it has no credibility <ok>

Postby Roland

I'm in USA when the qualifiers are on but I'll go to the main event in November for contacts ;)