Post a reply

Barry Hearns Statement Discussion

Postby Andre147

Barry's there allright, but I don't think there's any live stream

Check PSB right after the presser is finished, Matt has said he will post what will be said in detail on his website.

Re: Dafabet World Championship (Wed April 23rd) Last 32 !!

Postby SnookerFan

TWITTER ATTACK!

Steve ‏@MaximumSnooker Hearn: World Champs to stay best-of-19. Top 16 players to stay seeded in the event but qualifiers expanding to 144 players!! #Snooker

Is that his big announcement? It's going to stay the same, apart from the fact they're going to add more qualifiers? Did that really need a press conference?

Re: Dafabet World Championship (Wed April 23rd) Last 32 !!

Postby Skullman

SnookerFan wrote:TWITTER ATTACK!

Steve ‏@MaximumSnooker Hearn: World Champs to stay best-of-19. Top 16 players to stay seeded in the event but qualifiers expanding to 144 players!! #Snooker

Is that his big announcement? It's going to stay the same, apart from the fact they're going to add more qualifiers? Did that really need a press conference?

Think qualifying will now be 128 flat draw.

Re: Barry Hearns Statement Discussion

Postby Harrison101

Not sure what direction Barry wants to take the tour in, what with him trying to remove the protection for the Top 16, then adding more spots for former World Champions and 4 wildcard berths. We'll see what happens next year with the 144 format for Sheffield next year.

Postby Harrison101

Holden Chinaski wrote:The Crucible is holy. The home of snooker.Glad to hear Hearn knows this.

Agreed. So glad Hearn's not budging on this, you don't leave the Crucible. It's sacred.

Postby Wildey

Steve Davis will be basically a Amateur and used to top up draws to 128 thats different from being a tour player and if Steve wants to get back on tour he will have to go to Q School or through PTC Order of merit

Postby Skullman

SnookerFan wrote:
Skullman wrote:Richard from Pointless on the BBC now.

What's that got to do with the Barry Hearn statement? rofl

rubbish wrong thread. :emb:

Postby Andre147

Tournaments like the Worlds, Shanghai Masters and Australian Open have top 16 sedeed, but the big change is if a sedeed player loses first round they will still get their prize money BUT THAT WONT COUNT TOWARDS THEIR MONEY RANKING.

Big change that is, Hearn says it's to prevent proteccion for the top players.

Postby PLtheRef

ME JUST LAST WEEK wrote:The 128 has grown on me as the last couple of years have gone on. I appreciate all the complaints the top players have had about having to work their way up, Learn their trade and work their way up the rankings playing players of a similar standard, and to tell the truth there aren't many faults with the old system. For anyone just breaking into the top 16 at the time of the change gets a lot of sympathy from me. That said there was never going to be a perfect time to make a change.

The 2012 World Championships two years ago suggested that a flatter format would work in the competition sector. But I do think a lot was rushed through, particularly introducing it midway through a season. The format was nothing new, but it seemed a race to get it on, and led to venues needing to accommodate more players than they were prepared for. That said 128 has worked well and initial fears seem to have subsided.

The World Championship needs to keep the qualifiers though. This is what makes it unique, players are on the road to the Crucible, the race is on to get there and the battle to be in the 16 to be assured of a place at Sheffield is on. It needs to be there, to make the race intense, otherwise it becomes another tournament on the calendar.

One thing I would change is how the World Championship Qualifiers are conducted, With 112 players, I'd conduct that in the flat format. With the 96 players outside the top 32 making up 48 first round ties, with the 16 seeded players in the qualifiers joining the 48 winners to make a second round of 64 players, the 32 winners then contesting the Crucible places. It would mean three rounds but still the same number of matches as this week has needed. The difference being seeds winning two matches rather than one.

You could seed the draw so that seeds 33-48 couldn't face 17-32 opposition until the third round.

Obviously I have a little bit of influence on Bazza

Postby SnookerFan

So, have I understood this properly? I've only seen reaction on Twitter.

Is it;

Top-16 automatically qualify for Sheffield as seeds.

More qualifiers added, including wild cards that are added into the qualification stage.

It stays in Sheffield.

Have I got that right?

Postby fridge46

128 flat draw qualifying - Agree

Players seeded through to latter stages receiving 0 zero points/money - Agree

Invites to former professionals - Disagree

Postby SnookerFan

Matt ‏@ProSnookerBlog 5) All previous world champions invited to play at the worlds in round 1. Top 64 seeded, random draw for remaining 64 players

Joe Johnson could enter. :D

Postby Harrison101

SnookerFan wrote:So, have I understood this properly? I've only seen reaction on Twitter.

Is it;

Top-16 automatically qualify for Sheffield as seeds.

More qualifiers added, including wild cards that are added into the qualification stage.

It stays in Sheffield.

Have I got that right?

Yeah, pretty much. Seeds 17-32 now have to go through the full Qualifying format.

Stephen Hendry on possibly entering the tour again: "We'll wait and see..."

Postby Alex0paul

SnookerFan wrote:Matt ‏@ProSnookerBlog 5) All previous world champions invited to play at the worlds in round 1. Top 64 seeded, random draw for remaining 64 players

Can't wait to see Joe Davis play

Postby Skullman

Alex0paul wrote:
SnookerFan wrote:Matt ‏@ProSnookerBlog 5) All previous world champions invited to play at the worlds in round 1. Top 64 seeded, random draw for remaining 64 players

Can't wait to see Joe Davis play

He'd probably end up winning yet again.

Postby SnookerFan

Harrison101 wrote:
Yeah, pretty much. Seeds 17-32 now have to go through the full Qualifying format.

Stephen Hendry on possibly entering the tour again: "We'll wait and see..."

So, in other words, no. <laugh>

Postby Wildey

Snooker Overdrive wrote:Hendry is the only former champion not on the tour who has a chance of qualifying and even for him it will be very very tough, if he chooses to enter of course.

ill be surprise if hendry was interested TBH