Post a reply

2014 - The Beginning of the End for the Wizard of Wishaw

Postby PLtheRef

Over the years John Higgins has been one of the most consistent players the World Snooker Circuit has produced, ranked continually in the top eight, and indeed much higher than that for pretty much the past 18 years, he's been there, and won everything the game has got to offer, and in the case of the tournaments which people remember the most, several times over.

His recent record in the World Championships has not been the best, despite winning the championship three times, those are the only three occasions in which he has progressed beyond the second round, and though winning it three times in four years is achievement not been seen since the days of Hendry, (until this year perhaps) his most recent Crucible displays have been tepid to say the least, with the only win to show since his last title here a nervy 10-9 victory over Liang Wenbo in a match, truth be told he shouldn't have won, a 13-4 hammering to Hendry coupled with first round defeats in the last two years.

What maintained him as a contender is that he produced the goods when the back was firmly being planted against the wall. A 7-2 deficit to defeat an on form Judd Trump in the Shanghai Masters final was memorable, but it seems to been the glimpse of a positive in recent times. Last 16 exits in the 2011 and 2012 UK Championships, certainly unacceptable for a player of John's calibre though all due credit goes to the players who beat him.

The 2013/14 season has seen what is almost a now progressive decline in John's performances, having failed to reach the semi-finals of every tournament since July, and having only really threatened to reach the last four of a tournament at the Masters when he probably should've put Selbt away, he's not produced anything described as a very good performance. This has culminated at the Crucible though having pulled off a decent run of three frames to close the gap to 9-7 this morning, he didn't deserve to win, and truthfully never looked like winning the match the whole time through.

I've said for a while that if you wanted one man to chase a game for you it would be Higgins, but over the last 20 months, he has grown more and more unreliable in that regard.

John's ranking is the lowest it's been for a long time now and he seems he's safe enough for the 16 for next season on the money list. The question now I ask is that having had two poor seasons in a row, does today's exit to a player John would have defeated comfortably a couple of years ago, mark the beginning of the end of the Wizard of Wishaw?

Re: 2014 - The Beginning of the End for the Wizard of Wishaw

Postby Andre147

Sonny wrote:Today was the start of a new beginning. He feels good again and will be back next season. Never write off John Higgins.

You're right, but I don't think he will ever again win another World Title, I've been saying for a long time, think Higgins will become a bit like Ebdon in recent years, every now and again has a purple patch and wins a ranking event, but he's still good enough to win some of the regular rankers.

Now when it comes to the Majors like Masters and Worlds, he won't win another of those, UK title he might do but I have doubts.

Postby PLtheRef

Andre147 PGC wrote:
Sonny wrote:Today was the start of a new beginning. He feels good again and will be back next season. Never write off John Higgins.

You're right, but I don't think he will ever again win another World Title, I've been saying for a long time, think Higgins will become a bit like Ebdon in recent years, every now and again has a purple patch and wins a ranking event, but he's still good enough to win some of the regular rankers.

Now when it comes to the Majors like Masters and Worlds, he won't win another of those, UK title he might do but I have doubts.

He's no longer reliable over the distance format, and that is what John has made his trademark over the years winning the Best of 17s and 19s at the UKs and particularly the 33s and 35s at the Crucible.

Up until last year, you would expect John Higgins to roar back from a 6-3 deficit and comfortably win the match 10-8 or 10-9 in the second session. Nowadays, you feel that his opposition will kick on to the line.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

PLtheRef wrote:
Andre147 PGC wrote:

He's no longer reliable over the distance format, and that is what John has made his trademark over the years winning the Best of 17s and 19s at the UKs and particularly the 33s and 35s at the Crucible.

Up until last year, you would expect John Higgins to roar back from a 6-3 deficit and comfortably win the match 10-8 or 10-9 in the second session. Nowadays, you feel that his opposition will kick on to the line.

I agree. Also he's losing his fear factor. In 2011 everybody knew they had to play their absolute best and even that might not be good enough. Nowadays he's just another top 16 player, who on a bad day can be beaten by anyone who is playing decently.

Postby dale or swail

At times yesterday he was playing some dreadful shots that he never would have played before. At other times he showed that he could still play top class snooker. I would be surprised if he ever won it again but as McManus demonstrated players do have ups and downs in their careers.

Postby SnookerFan

Andre147 PGC wrote:You're right, but I don't think he will ever again win another World Title, I've been saying for a long time, think Higgins will become a bit like Ebdon in recent years, every now and again has a purple patch and wins a ranking event, but he's still good enough to win some of the regular rankers.

I'd go with that. I can see Higgins winning a ranking event again. He still plays well enough occasionally, and it's certainly not impossible he'll put it back together again for another ranking event or two.

He won't win the Worlds though. Unless the new format they mentioned on Eurosport last night reverts it to a two day long, best of five format.

Postby PLtheRef

Ayrshirebhoy wrote:I think like Andre said, he will get purple patches and win the odd title but I'll be very surprised to see him in a worlds final again. Hope I'm wrong thou.

I'll go further and say I'd be surprised to see him in the final of the big three events again. Like you hopefully I'll be wrong on that front

Postby snooker_loopy

"His recent record in the World Championships has not been the best, despite winning the championship three times, "

He's better than you think. Four times winner, not three.

I won't mourn his declining form. So long, Higgins. And don't trip over that old copy of the News of the World as you leave the building!