Post a reply

Chinese Build Replica Crucible

Postby Andy Spark

Have you seen this, they are building their own Crucible. Construction almost complete.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/others ... nship.html
A bit cheeky if you ask me! :irk:
Barry Hearn wrote:They've built a replica of the Crucible just outside Beijing in this amazing leisure resort. They say: 'Why can't we have the World Championship here? It's still the Crucible.'

I suppose when they talk about the "unique atmosphere of the Crucible" then that statement now has a certain irony.

Mind you, I told my mum and she found it rather sweet, so I guess there are two interpretations of this. You could see it as a sweet homage to the World Snooker Championship or you could see as part of a rather more menacing "coveting" of our World Championship. Many will choose the latter interpretation.

Re: Chinese Build Replica Crucible

Postby Andre147

I just can't believe how far the Chinese went to host their own World Champs there rofl rofl rofl :wave:

Nothing will replace the Crucible Theatre in SHEFFIELD, just like nothing will replace Wimbledon in Tennis or St.Andrews and Augusta National in Golf, PERIOD.

Postby Ayrshirebhoy

I always been a fan of moving the wc tbh. If you could move it to a venue that holds 10x more and have the fan base to attend. Why not?

Postby roy142857

Ayrshirebhoy wrote:I always been a fan of moving the wc tbh. If you could move it to a venue that holds 10x more and have the fan base to attend. Why not?

Yes. Wimbledon or The Masters don't bill themselves as a 'World Championship', so no obvious reason to move them.

Take other tournaments to the 'New Crucible' and see how it works, what the atmosphere is like (edit - before considering moving it for one year!). Not in favour of a permanent move from Sheffield, but don't see why it should be there every year.

Postby Ayrshirebhoy

roy142857 wrote:
Ayrshirebhoy wrote:I always been a fan of moving the wc tbh. If you could move it to a venue that holds 10x more and have the fan base to attend. Why not?

Yes. Wimbledon or The Masters don't bill themselves as a 'World Championship', so no obvious reason to move them.

Take other tournaments to the 'New Crucible' and see how it works, what the atmosphere is like (edit - before considering moving it for one year!). Not in favour of a permanent move from Sheffield, but don't see why it should be there every year.

Iv always felt the masters (snooker) should be held at a different venue every year. That would maybe be a good marker. Germany seems like a good enthusiastic country for snooker. I'd like to see a bigger tourney there.

Postby Andy Spark

Yes, that's another thing. One disadvantage with the Crucible was that it was small. If you want to build another World Championship venue for a possible future hosting then it would make economic sense to make it larger.

Maybe they could have a kind of "Henman hill" type area with a big screen out the back, that would be a big improvement, it would really build the atmosphere in key matches.

Postby Andy Spark

Ayrshirebhoy wrote:I dream of michella tabb telling 50,000 to turn their earpieces off :)

Well, with a big screen out the back they could make as much noise as they wanted, just sound proof the playing area. :party: