Post a reply

Re: Players on the tour people have met and their thoughts?

Postby Roland

I've met a lot of the players and nearly all of them are approachable and easy to chat to. The only time I've experienced the latter was from Anthony Hamilton and I also got a stare off Peter Lines once both after they had lost matches, but both were fine the next time I encountered them.

Overall it's best to stay away from the players after they've lost, especially in a big event but certain players are fine to talk to after. Kurt Maflin and Pankaj Advani for example are very approachable even after defeats and I was surprised at how easy it was to chat to Selby after he had just lost the UK final in December when you'd think maybe he'd be too snake hissed off to want to talk snooker with anyone. Kyren is another, win or lose, you know you can go and have a chat with after and he'll be fine. I mean he hates losing with a passion and it's obvious when he's gutted to lose but he's such a nice lad with it. Others I get along with are Vinnie who is a top lad, very down to earth and friendly and Gould and Sean O'Sullivan likewise.

I guess with all people, your perception of them is down to the manner in which you approach them or the mood they may be in when you do. I never believed anything I read about Alex Higgins when I was a kid because he was so nice to me when I got his autograph once! I think if you go in and pester a player like a fanboy waving a pen and paper in his face then you're not always going to get the reaction you want.

Postby Holden Chinaski

I was smoking outside the venue in Antwerp with Matthew Stevens and Andrew Higginson and had a nice chat with them. Both very nice blokes. We talked about Judd's 147 and about Ronnie and stuff and they were very cool down to earth guys.

Postby Andy Spark

Yes, Matthew Stevens is nice. I met him after he lost the UK final in 1999, he must have been upset he lost, but was still happy to give me his autograph. :-)

I did have the opportunity to get Alex Higgins' autograph in the late 80's, but I was too scared to approach him. I was only a boy and he had a reputation for being difficult.

Postby Roland

I've met him a few times and he's fine. I mean personally I've got so much respect for him I get nervous when he's in the same room but in Gloucester once I saw him practicing with a white ferrule he'd just had put on his cue and I approached him about it and he stood and chatted for a while and was just like he is on the television. But again with Davis, he'll have so many people coming up to him and asking for autographs that you can't always smile and chat and be that person people see on the television, especially if you've just lost a match or are about to play in a match. Davis definitely hates losing even now so I wouldn't expect anyone to get decent conversation out of him just after he's lost.

Postby snooky147

I remember Alex Higgin's walking into the Churchill's Club in Glasgow. He was chatting with the Juniors we were with and played a frame with Graeme. Hit a 138 after Graeme broke off lol. Straight after that I saw the bad side though.

Most of the players are alright. I do have one lasting memory of years ago in Wales when I spotted a youngster approach Steve Davis for an autograph but he just shooed him away. That made me think less of him for a few years.

Postby Wildey

People have too much expectations on players they meet.

Ive met Steve James then i went to play a few frames my self with my cousin and the next morning my dad said he spent all night in the bar talking and drinking with Steve James and he was so down to earth.

ive Met Alex Higgins a hero of mine and he told me to buck off but i expected that so it wasent a problem.

Had a snake hiss in a urinal next to Marco Fu lol

Postby vodkadiet

Most players are okay. Players I would cross the road to avoid are Parrott, Dennis Taylor, and Doherty.

I was at a tournament with a fiend of mine, who was drunk, and he started bothering Ebdon, but credit to Ebdon he didn't brush him off, and tried having a conversation with him.

I used to practice at the same club as Drago and he was a great laugh. When I first played snooker as a 15 year old the club professional was Tony Meo, and he was very welcoming and helpful. Kirk Stevens was really great with the public.

The first snooker player I ever met was Terry Griffiths when I was 10 years old and he was very encouraging when he spoke to me.

Most of the guys are pleasant I feel.

Postby Andre147

vodkadiet wrote:Most players are okay. Players I would cross the road to avoid are Parrott, Dennis Taylor, and Doherty.

I was at a tournament with a fiend of mine, who was drunk, and he started bothering Ebdon, but credit to Ebdon he didn't brush him off, and tried having a conversation with him.

I used to practice at the same club as Drago and he was a great laugh. When I first played snooker as a 15 year old the club professional was Tony Meo, and he was very welcoming and helpful. Kirk Stevens was really great with the public.

The first snooker player I ever met was Terry Griffiths when I was 10 years old and he was very encouraging when he spoke to me.

Most of the guys are pleasant I feel.

What about your beloved Ronnie? :redneck: