Topic locked

Dafabet World Championship Qualifying Rnd 4 (15-16th April)

Postby Wildey

Image Image Image
Tuesday 15th~Wednesday 16th of April at Ponds Forge International Sports Centre, Sheffield

Round 4 and former world champions Ken Doherty, Graeme Dott, Peter Ebdon and Mark J Williams enter the action and also still in the competition are 6 players that's never played at the crucible Kyren Wilson, Michael Wasley, Robbie Williams, Stuart Carrington, Xiao Guodong and Li Yan.

How many will make their crucible debut this year?

This Round is where the World Championship comes alive where heartbreak awaiting the 16 players that was so close and yet so far and jubilation for the 16 qualifiers that gets to play at the famous crucible theater against the best players in the world.

Tuesday 15th of April

11am and 5pm

Ken Doherty v Dechawat Poomjaeng Never played before
David Gilbert v Jimmy Robertson Gilbert leads 2-0
Graeme Dott v Kyren Wilson Dott leads 1-0
Dominic Dale v Andrew Higginson Higginson leads 4-2
Mark Williams v Alan McManus Williams leads 10-6
Michael Holt v Jamie Jones Jones leads 1-0
Mark King v Jamie Cope King leads 4-2
Matthew Stevens v Tom Ford Stevens leads 3-2

Wednesday 16th of April

11am and 5pm

Robert Milkins v Michael Wasley Milkins leads 2-0
Fergal O'Brien v Robbie Williams Williams leads 1-0
Peter Ebdon v Robin Hull Never played before
Liang Wenbo v Martin Gould 1-1
Ben Woollaston v Jamie Burnett Woollaston leads 1-0
Ryan Day v Stuart Carrington Day leads 1-0
Michael White v Matthew Selt Never played before
Xiao Guodong v Li Yan 1-1

DRAW

ORDER OF PLAY

Re: Dafabet World Championship Qualifying Rnd 4 (15-16th Apr

Postby Wildey

Rest Day on Monday then the action continues on Tuesday with these matches

Tuesday 15th of April

11am and 5pm

Ken Doherty v Dechawat Poomjaeng
David Gilbert v Jimmy Robertson
Graeme Dott v Kyren Wilson streaming guess
Dominic Dale v Andrew Higginson
Mark Williams v Alan McManus streaming guess
Michael Holt v Jamie Jones
Mark King v Jamie Cope
Matthew Stevens v Tom Ford

Postby Skullman

There are six players who have made it here from the first round, Li Yan, Robin Hull, Robbie Williams, Michael Wasley, Stuart Carrington and Kyren Wilson. Just shows that good players can still make it through the 'old way'. Helps that none of them had to face any top32 players so far, unlike with flat draws.

Of them, I'd say Williams and Hull have the best chances, although if Hull makes it, he will have broken Ebdon's run of 22 consecutive Crucible appearances, going back to his first season on tour.

PS Wild, Xiao is also a potential debutant.

Postby WoodK67

Skullman wrote:There are six players who have made it here from the first round, Li Yan, Robin Hull, Robbie Williams, Michael Wasley, Stuart Carrington and Kyren Wilson. Just shows that good players can still make it through the 'old way'. Helps that none of them had to face any top32 players so far, unlike with flat draws.

Of them, I'd say Williams and Hull have the best chances, although if Hull makes it, he will have broken Ebdon's run of 22 consecutive Crucible appearances, going back to his first season on tour.

PS Wild, Xiao is also a potential debutant.

What gives Williams the best chance?

Postby Skullman

I'm guessing you mean MJW when talking about Williams?

Also, don't underestimate Kyren or Ford they could cause headaches. Plus King seems pretty safe to me, considering Jamie Cope lost 7 frames to Alex Borg last round. If Borg can do that King will crush him.

Postby sigsky

Wildey wrote:Rest Day on Monday then the action continues on Tuesday with these matches

Tuesday 15th of April

11am and 5pm

Mark King v Jamie Cope

Agree with Williams / McManus but can't believe they won't show Doherty.

What about Wednesday? Gould v Wenbo is a must and I would like to see Carrington v Day because he has come so far in good form but I expect we will see Selt v White.

Postby WoodK67

Skullman wrote:I just don't think Fergal is the force he used to be.

Fergal O'Brien has had a very good, consistent season. I know that Robbie Williams is a decent player and has had some good wins this week and this season. But O'Brien will be a much tougher test and given his experience and having successfully qualified for the Crucible on many occasions he has to be the favourite. I think it should be a close match with Fergal winning maybe 10-7 or 10-8 but I could be wrong.

Postby WoodK67

sigsky wrote:
Wildey wrote:Rest Day on Monday then the action continues on Tuesday with these matches

Tuesday 15th of April

11am and 5pm

Mark King v Jamie Cope

Agree with Williams / McManus but can't believe they won't show Doherty.

What about Wednesday? Gould v Wenbo is a must and I would like to see Carrington v Day because he has come so far in good form but I expect we will see Selt v White.

WIlliams vs McManus will surely be streamed. Williams you'd say is the biggest name in there and against his old foe McManus it should be a very tasty match with Alan back playing some excellent snooker in the last year or so.

Postby Skullman

WoodK67 wrote:

Fergal O'Brien has had a very good, consistent season. I know that Robbie Williams is a decent player and has had some good wins this week and this season. But O'Brien will be a much tougher test and given his experience and having successfully qualified for the Crucible on many occasions he has to be the favourite. I think it should be a close match with Fergal winning maybe 10-7 or 10-8 but I could be wrong.

True, but I said Williams had the best chance of the first rounders, not that he had a great chance. The others have Milkins, Dott, Day and Xiao who are all better than Fergal, so Williams (and Hull) have the best chances by default as well.

Postby PLtheRef

Could see a relatively routine set of results amongst these 16 matches rather than tons of surprises. Looking at the matches at the moment the unseeded players I'd predict as favourites in their games are Gould and Jones. That said, there are surprises in this round.

Postby WoodK67

Skullman wrote:
WoodK67 wrote:

True, but I said Williams had the best chance of the first rounders, not that he had a great chance. The others have Milkins, Dott, Day and Xiao who are all better than Fergal, so Williams (and Hull) have the best chances by default as well.

When you look at it that way I can see why you'd say he'd have the best chance. I'd say Robin Hull has an excellent chance to qualify against Ebdon who has mainly had a very poor season with one or two good runs which he is always capable of but if he plays like he has been playing for the bulk of the season and Hull continues to play like he is then Hull should win that. It'd be a great story if Robin made it back to the Crucible. He always was a good break-builder, just a shame his career has been blighted by illness. A real waste of talent.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Skullman wrote:I'm guessing you mean MJW when talking about Williams?

Also, don't underestimate Kyren or Ford they could cause headaches. Plus King seems pretty safe to me, considering Jamie Cope lost 7 frames to Alex Borg last round. If Borg can do that King will crush him.

Yes, I was only talking about the seeds.

Dott is probably the strongest player of all the qualifiers this year, so no I don't give Kyren much of a chance. Ford has a chance, I agree but Stevens has so much experience and that has to make him a firm favourite.

Postby WoodK67

Snooker Overdrive wrote:Peter Ebdon won't lose to Robin Hull.

We will soon see. He's lost to a lot worse this season. Hull is playing well and is underrated by many I feel due to his ranking which is not accurate when you look at his ability.

Postby Wildey

Snooker Overdrive wrote:

Dott is probably the strongest player of all the qualifiers this year, so no I don't give Kyren much of a chance. Ford has a chance, I agree but Stevens has so much experience and that has to make him a firm favourite.

Do you actually know something about stevens lol

he could lose to anyone at any time.

and regarding kyren wilson yes id make Dott favorite but only just might be 10-8 or even 10-9

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Wildey wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:

Do you actually know something about stevens lol

he could lose to anyone at any time.

and regarding kyren wilson yes id make Dott favorite but only just might be 10-8 or even 10-9

<laugh> Yes he can but that doesn't mean he will automatically lose to Ford.

Postby WoodK67

Snooker Overdrive wrote:Ebdon beat Trump in China, so it's not like he can't play anymore. But more importantly in his 22 seasons as a professional he never failed to qualify for the Crucible. I just can't see that streak ending this year against a player who just doesn't have the experience and routine in these situations.

Quite a lot of players have beaten Trump this season such as Alan McManus who is making a bit of a comeback and who I reckon has a not bad chance of defeating Mark Williams. On his day Ebdon can beat anyone but I'm afraid these days those good days are occurring less and less often. Apart from two good runs by Ebdon's standards he has had an abysmal season. I am not saying he is past it but no one lasts for ever and Ebdon is not the player he used to be as for a number of seasons now there has been no consistecy to his game. I don't understand why you are so certain that 43 year old Ebdon who is 60th in the one year rankings is going to beat the in form Robin Hull and qualify for the Crucible.

Postby SnookerFan

nice_shoes_ken wrote:I'm off to the Qualifiers for the first time tomorrow.

Can only see Poomjaeng, Higginson & Jones being threats to their top 32 opponents.

Hoping for a good day though.

Mate, I'm well jel. There's some decent matches there. :D

Make sure you give us a comprehensive review when you get back.