Post a reply

Wyldecrest Parks PTC Grand Finals... Final Discussion !

Postby Wildey

Image Image Image
Tuesday 25th ~ Saturday 29th of March at the Guild Hall Preston

So the Final brings together Former Australian Open champion Barry Hawkins and Surprise Package Gerard Greene who will be playing in his first ever ranking event final.

Who will win?

DRAW

Final

Gerard Greene v Barry Hawkins Hawkins leads 2-1

ORDER OF PLAY

Re: Wyldecrest Parks PTC Grand Finals... Final Discussion !

Postby Andy Spark

World number 66 Gerard Greene getting to the final here and last time they had best of 7's all the way to final in a full ranker world number 71 Aditya Mehta got to the final. How many other full rankers have we had players outside the top 64 getting to the final? I'd say the "cream rising to the top" case well and truly proven. <ok>

Postby Andy Spark

Snooker Overdrive wrote:I expect a Greene - Mehta World final this year...

I will give you odds of 25 billion to one and make it clear that I am willing to enter into legal relations. :-)

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Sonny wrote:Apparently the difference between Greene winning and losing this best of 7 is either being 62 or 41 on the money list rankings.

That's incorrect.

With the old rankings he was No. 69 before the tournament started and should he win it, it would take him up to No. 59

With the money rankings he was No. 68 before the tournament started and should he win it, it would take him up to No. 21!

Postby Andre147

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Sonny wrote:Apparently the difference between Greene winning and losing this best of 7 is either being 62 or 41 on the money list rankings.

That's incorrect.

With the old rankings he was No. 69 before the tournament started and should he win it, it would take him up to No. 59

With the money rankings he was No. 68 before the tournament started and should he win it, it would take him up to No. 21!

Massive diference that is, almost into the top 16, that is just insane!

Postby Wildey

Andy Spark wrote:World number 66 Gerard Greene getting to the final here and last time they had best of 7's all the way to final in a full ranker world number 71 Aditya Mehta got to the final. How many other full rankers have we had players outside the top 64 getting to the final? I'd say the "cream rising to the top" case well and truly proven. <ok>

You will always get freak results no matter if its best of 7s, best of 9s with 2 session finals. Jamie Burnett reached his first Final in 2010 and Andrew Higginson was ranked about 100 when he almost won the Welsh Open in 2007 and thoes was not best of 7s.

Postby Wildey

Andre147 PGC wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:

That's incorrect.

Thats why Money Rankings is not a true indication of who the best players are

Thank you Gerard Greene for proving my point

Postby Andre147

Wildey wrote:
Andy Spark wrote:World number 66 Gerard Greene getting to the final here and last time they had best of 7's all the way to final in a full ranker world number 71 Aditya Mehta got to the final. How many other full rankers have we had players outside the top 64 getting to the final? I'd say the "cream rising to the top" case well and truly proven. <ok>

You will always get freak results no matter if its best of 7s, best of 9s with 2 session finals. Jamie Burnett reached his first Final in 2010 and Andrew Higginson was ranked about 100 when he almost won the Welsh Open in 2007 and thoes was not best of 7s.

But the more Best of 7s and short formats there is, the more chances we get to see some freak results, short formats have always proved that.

Even though most of the PTCs have been won by top players, this shorter formats as I said do increase the odds of that happening.

It's a lot harder for a player in Greene's class to win a tournament such as the UK Champs, that is a diferent ball game.

Postby Andre147

Wildey wrote:
Andre147 PGC wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:

That's incorrect.

Thats why Money Rankings is not a true indication of who the best players are

Thank you Gerard Greene for proving my point

Well in Ronnie's case it does prove he's up there with the best, and when he plays he truly is currently.

Postby Andre147

Sonny wrote:Let's face it, if Greene is aware of all this and still wins then you have to take your hat off to him for the bottle shown. I make Hawkins strong favourite.

I won't say strong favourite, Allen and Fu also were and look at what happened.

But one thing is for sure, the fact he's into his first ever ranking final and the fact he'll be battling for that top prize and his first ranking title will put alot more pressure on Gerard, something that does not happen with Hawkins.

I also think Hawkins will win, but I think it will be close, possibly a decider.

Postby Wildey

I think the Ranking points allocation is Wrong but so is Money and This tournament proves it.

The winner here gets £15,000 more Money points than the Winner in China but Points wise gets 4,000 less points.

its absurd

Postby Roland

Well it's not really Wild. If you think about it, Hearn has always wanted emphasis on the PTC series to make sure all players are incentivised to take part in the best of 7 three day events which take place at new locations across Europe and Asia. He said or JF said somewhere that any extra prize money on tour would be prioritised in the PTC grand finals.

I am surprised at the huge difference between winner and runner-up but overall I have no issue with it.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Wildey wrote:I think the Ranking points allocation is Wrong but so is Money and This tournament proves it.

The winner here gets £15,000 more Money points than the Winner in China but Points wise gets 4,000 less points.

its absurd

Yeah, I fully agree. I made a lengthy post in the tour logistics topic on this issue a couple months ago. This is just one example and there are many more...

Postby Andre147

Nevertheless the money rankings for me is the way forward, and like any system it isn't perfect and needs sorting out so I think those problems or at least some of those will be taken into consideration for the future.

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:Well it's not really Wild. If you think about it, Hearn has always wanted emphasis on the PTC series to make sure all players are incentivised to take part in the best of 7 three day events which take place at new locations across Europe and Asia. He said or JF said somewhere that any extra prize money on tour would be prioritised in the PTC grand finals.

I am surprised at the huge difference between winner and runner-up but overall I have no issue with it.

If that's the case why didn't he make the PTC Grand Finals in line with the Other ranking events regarding points in the last 4 years?

Winner 7,000
Runner up 5,600
Semi Finals 4,800
Quarter Finals 3,500
Last 16 2,660
Last 32 1,960

instead of the poor relation Ranking point wise

Postby Andre147

Anyway, Final about to start.

Honestly don't care who wins, as long as it is a good one.

Well maybe having said that just favour Greene a tad as it would be his first ever ranking title, but I'll be happy the same way if Hawkins wins it.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Andre147 PGC wrote:Anyway, Final about to start.

Honestly don't care who wins, as long as it is a good one.

Well maybe having said that just favour Greene a tad as it would be his first ever ranking title, but I'll be happy the same way if Hawkins wins it.

Same here. I would like to see someone like Greene have his big moment but I also would like to see Hawkins win another ranking event, I like his style and he's a model professional...