Post a reply

How far will Yu Delu go?

Postby SnookerFan

As said, I don't get to post much at the moment on the internet at home, so wasn't online when Yu beat Ronnie last night.

What do people make of that victory? I've not seen much of Delu, sadly. But he seemed to have a lot of confidence going into the Ronnie match. Ronnie has been on the sort of form that Trump was a couple of years back when people are scared to play him. A lot of the times players a lot higher in the rankings seem to lack the coninction that they'll win, even before the match has started. Not so De Lu.

Browsing last night's discussion thread, I noticed our esteemed leader Sonny posted this quote; "I've seen Delu play like that many times but he is a hot and cold type player." Anybody else got any other comment to add?

Anybody care to venture a prediction. Will he win ranking events? Majors? Be an all time great?

Hard to tell. I remember watching a game at The China Open a few years back when I thought Lu Ning outplayed Murphy in every department. Potting, safety, shot selection. Made Murphy look like a chump. I'll never forget how despondent Murphy looked after that game. I was predicting big things for him. He's done comparatively bugger all since.

Still, anyone brave enough to say how far De Lu will go? Or did the performance against Ronnie flatter him?

Re: How far will Yu Delu go?

Postby Wildey

Sonny Summed it up and that can apply to most of the tour TBH.

any of them can play to that standard doing it consistently to challenge for Tournaments is what separates Great from Good.

Postby Ayrshirebhoy

It seems to be only the younger up and coming players can beat ronnie. Ronnie has the top 32 in a big pocket of his. The young ones play with no fear and very little battle scars.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Ayrshirebhoy wrote:It seems to be only the younger up and coming players can beat ronnie. Ronnie has the top 32 in a big pocket of his. The young ones play with no fear and very little battle scars.

Ronnie lost to the following players this season:

PTCs:
John Higgins
Peter Lines
Ben Woollaston
Neil Robertson
Mark Selby

Ranking events:
Liang Wenbo
Stuart Bingham
Thepchaiya Un-Nooh
Yu Delu

Surprisingly Bingham was the only top player to beat Ronnie in a ranking event this season. However I don't think your assumption is correct...

Postby roy142857

SnookerFan wrote: I remember watching a game at The China Open a few years back when I thought Lu Ning outplayed Murphy in every department. Potting, safety, shot selection. Made Murphy look like a chump. I'll never forget how despondent Murphy looked after that game. I was predicting big things for him. He's done comparatively bugger all since.

Lǔ Níng qualified for the Tour last July by winning the World Under 21 Championship. He doesn't get to take up his place until the forthcoming season, bear in mind both the relative inexperience and youth (just turned 20) before giving up on him!

Postby SnookerFan

roy142857 wrote:Lǔ Níng qualified for the Tour last July by winning the World Under 21 Championship. He doesn't get to take up his place until the forthcoming season, bear in mind both the relative inexperience and youth (just turned 20) before giving up on him!

I did use the word 'comparatively'.

But you're right, I did expect too much after that performance.