Topic locked

Wyldecrest Parks PTC Grand Final Quarter Finals Discussion !

Postby Wildey

Image Image Image
Tuesday 25th ~ Saturday 29th of March at the Guild Hall Preston

With Welsh Open Champion Ronnie O'Sullivan and World Open champion Shaun Murphy out as well as Ding Junhui, Neil Robertson and Mark Selby the Draw is opening up for someone to take advantage.

There are still quality players left in the tournament Mark Allen, Marco Fu, Judd Trump or John Higgins could add to their tournament haul this week.

Who will make the semi finals?

DRAW

Quarter Finals

Mark Allen v Gerard Greene Allen leads 3-0
John Higgins v Marco Fu Higgins leads 9-8
------------------------------------------
Yu De Lu v Barry Hawkins Never played before
Judd Trump v Joe Perry Trump leads 5-2

ORDER OF PLAY

Re: Wyldecrest Parks PTC Grand Final Quarter Finals Discussi

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Sonny wrote:That's a hell of a good record Fu has against Higgins given they are the same generation

Although most of their matches have been PL or CL, it's pretty even in the ranking events.

Fu often seems to do well against the top players but on the flip side he can also lose to an actual amateur in a major.

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:That's a hell of a good record Fu has against Higgins given they are the same generation

Marco Fu Leads 4-3 in Major Tournaments and beat Higgins the first 3 times they met including Premier League and they have never met in a PTC.

Postby SnookerFan

TheRocket wrote:Fu surely knows how to play against the legends like Ronnie, John or MJW. Fu could have won a major really, well he had almost done it in 2008 and 2011 as we know. However. Tough match to predict this.

Well, I won't give a prediction because I always get them wrong.

I agree with you, though. Tough one. Higgins has blown hot and cold lately, getting a good win only to lose in the next round.

How does everybody else see this going?

Postby Ayrshirebhoy

masterdoctorgenius wrote:
Ayrshirebhoy wrote:C'mon john Higgins! As good a chance as youl get to get another trophy this year!

bit of a lottery. if he doenst get going at the start then it will be diffcult. there is no MSI to save him

The comeback king needs no msi.

Postby SnookerFan

I'd quite like to see Higgins win these Grand Finals. His form hasn't been there for over the past year and a bit. However, when Murphy won a PTC it seemed to turn his form around.

I'd be interested to see if the same thing happened to Higgins. Especially this close to The Crucible.

Postby Ayrshirebhoy

Still not convinced short formats are a lottery anyway. I go back to the uk, everyone complaining at the 'dumbing down' of the tourney yet the final had the world no1 and 2 in it. I'll say it again, the cream will always rise to the top.

Postby Wildey

Ayrshirebhoy wrote:Still not convinced short formats are a lottery anyway. I go back to the uk, everyone complaining at the 'dumbing down' of the tourney yet the final had the world no1 and 2 in it. I'll say it again, the cream will always rise to the top.

The PTC Grand Finals is what it is and cream will always rise to the top no matter what format but it was still a mistake messing around with the UK Championship and im not blaming Hearn for that because it all started back in 1993 when they reduced the final then bumming about with venues The Guild Hall is the home of the UK Championship and always will be since when the event was at it best.

Postby Andy Spark

Ayrshirebhoy wrote:Still not convinced short formats are a lottery anyway. I go back to the uk, everyone complaining at the 'dumbing down' of the tourney yet the final had the world no1 and 2 in it. I'll say it again, the cream will always rise to the top.

A lottery is pure luck, is anyone really suggesting that best of 7 is PURE luck? The question is the degree of luck and although the "cream" may appear to rise whatever the format, the current paucity of long formats means it's very difficult to compare the two in a statistically meaningful fashion. The fact that now only the Worlds have long format throughout means that people are effectively able to (and do!) ignore a proper scientific evaluation of the two, settling instead for vague cliches about "cream rising to the top" ; maybe this is what Hearn is going for, a masking device where he hides the damning evidence among a slew of similar short formats.

Postby SnookerFan

masterdoctorgenius wrote:i am excited how yu delu plays today

he said that he approached yesterdays match like a practice game as he practices with ronnie

how will he approach todays game?

reminds me of alfie burden runs last year when he won against judd and but didnt deliver afterwards

Have we got any information about whether he practices with Barry Hawkins? :gag:

Postby Ayrshirebhoy

SnookerFan wrote:Remember that time a few years back that the BBC resurrected Pot Black, and televised it all afternoon on Grandstand? It ran for a few years.

They should bring that back. To see if the cream would rise in that tournament.

It probably would, it was back for 3 years and 5 of the 6 finalists were former wc's albeit Murphy twice :()

Postby Snooker Overdrive

SnookerFan wrote:
masterdoctorgenius wrote:i am excited how yu delu plays today

he said that he approached yesterdays match like a practice game as he practices with ronnie

how will he approach todays game?

reminds me of alfie burden runs last year when he won against judd and but didnt deliver afterwards

Have we got any information about whether he practices with Barry Hawkins? :gag:

<laugh> <ok>

Postby Ayrshirebhoy

Andy Spark wrote:

A lottery is pure luck, is anyone really suggesting that best of 7 is PURE luck? The question is the degree of luck and although the "cream" may appear to rise whatever the format, the current paucity of long formats means it's very difficult to compare the two in a statistically meaningful fashion. The fact that now only the Worlds have long format throughout means that people are effectively able to (and do!) ignore a proper scientific evaluation of the two, settling instead for vague cliches about "cream rising to the top" ; maybe this is what Hearn is going for, a masking device where he hides the damning evidence among a slew of similar short formats.

I'm not a fan of cutting tourneys like uk and masters, I don't want anyone to think that. I just don't think the results change much if matches are shorter.

Postby Wildey

Snooker Overdrive wrote:I think we also have to differentiate the term short matches, best of 11s are not the same as best of 7s.

In the mid 8os in the British Open they had Best of 11s in the Last 64 and Last 32 and when the Cameras started rolling at the Last 16 stage they Went to Best of 9s until the semis which was Best of 17s and Final Best of 25.