Topic locked

Re: Wyldecrest Parks PTC Grand Final Last 16 Discussion !!

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Andre147 PGC wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:Still lots of permutations possible. It's still undecided whether Allen will meet Ronnie, Robertson, Selby or even Ding in the last 16.

What needs to happen now for Allen to meet Ronnie in the Last 16 at the Worlds SO?

Perry winning this event?

Allen has to lose to Greene tomorrow while Perry makes the final.

But if Allen wins tomorrow, he definitely can't meet Ronnie in the last 16, no matter what Perry does.

If Perry wins the event and Allen doesn't lose tomorrow, Ronnie will meet Ali Carter (!) in the last 16.

Postby Andre147

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
TheRocket wrote:In which round Ronnie could play Higgins? I really want to see one more match between them at the WC.

The final.

Well just thinking about it makes me wish that so much :-D

Mind you, nothing would beat a Final between Selby and Ronnie for me.

Postby TheRocket

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
TheRocket wrote:In which round Ronnie could play Higgins? I really want to see one more match between them at the WC.

The final.

Perfect then if it happens but probably won't. Just can't see it happen.
Anyone is having a idea who Ronnie could play in the quarters or semis then? I mean the toughest ones he could play against.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Andre147 PGC wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:

The final.

What about Robertson - Ronnie?

Postby Snooker Overdrive

TheRocket wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:

The final.

Anyone is having a idea who Ronnie could play in the quarters or semis then? I mean the toughest ones he could play against.

quarters: Fu or Murphy
semis: Ding

Postby TheRocket

Andre147 PGC wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:

The final.

Would be nice but Ronnie and Selby had a couple of big finals over the last 6 years. And Ronnie-Higgins , there is simply this aura these two have which others haven't. I don't know, maybe just I feel it that way.

It's a pity that there hasn't been any Ronnie Higgins final in a ranker since that 2005 grand prix where Higgins played absolutely brillant.

Postby TheRocket

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
TheRocket wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:

The final.

I really have the feeling that Fu could be dangerous. I don't know why but he knows how to play Ronnie and on his day he can be extremely dangerous. As we know, he already beat Ronnie here in Sheffield.

Postby Andre147

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Andre147 PGC wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:

The final.

What about Robertson - Ronnie?

That too, but Ronnie v Selby has something more special I think.

But yeah Robbo v Ronnie would be an absolute cracker of a Final.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

TheRocket wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:
TheRocket wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:

The final.

I really have the feeling that Fu could be dangerous. I don't know why but he knows how to play Ronnie and on his day he can be extremely dangerous. As we know, he already beat Ronnie here in Sheffield.

Unfortunately for Fu, Murphy owns him.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

TheRocket wrote:I hope, this year we gonna have a final with two very big names. Something like Ronnie vs Robertson. I want a 18:16 match in the final or a decidervictory. Just a really cracking one.

Goodness me, a thriller like that with Ronnie involved would really be hard to endure. Of course it would be his best ever moment if he wins but it could also turn out to be his worst career defeat.

Postby Skullman

Snooker Overdrive wrote:By the way, they could have put Hawkins - Day put on the tv table with both tables being available before the match started...

Cameramen probably wanted an early night. If the whole match is anything like the first frame, it's better left off the TV table.

Postby TheRocket

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
TheRocket wrote:I hope, this year we gonna have a final with two very big names. Something like Ronnie vs Robertson. I want a 18:16 match in the final or a decidervictory. Just a really cracking one.

Goodness me, a thriller like that with Ronnie involved would really be hard to endure. Of course it would be his best ever moment if he wins but it could also turn out to be his worst career defeat.

You're right but I think, it's time too Ronnie winning one World title via thriller. Till now I would say, he was relatively comfortable with his finals even though Higgins of course still won 14 frames against him and it wasn't easy for Ronnie (mentally) to clinch that match as Higgins won the 31 frame on the last black.

But to be fair, I don't think, anyone is ever gonna win 16 frames in the World final against Ronnie, let alone taking it into the decider. Ronnie seems to be better than he usually is in finals, that's why he won all 5 world finals. Same with UK, where he won all of his 4 finals with 6 being the maximum on frames his opponents won.

He's just strong as hell in those finals, therefore he's the favourite all the time, going into these finals.

Postby SlowJoe

Wildey wrote:
Andy Spark wrote:
Wildey wrote:Don't give a toss about the bookies lets hope other players take note that Ronnie at 93% pot success is beatable.

That wasn't really my point, my point is that it is now so long since Ronnie last lost a proper long format match (pre Dr Peters) that losses in best of 7's etc have less and less significance on his chances at the long format Worlds.

nobody said losing today was significant when you talk about the crucible totally different kettle of fish but when you hear Top players talking about Ronnie they are in owe of him they really have to shake off that bullocks and treat him like any old mug and try and gain some sort of advantage against him.

by continually saying how good Ronnie is they build up a already high confidence he has.

Ronnie in form is beatable time players start realizing that.

Wildey, It is possible that the top players are in awe of Ronnie because he is so much better than then and they know it. That`s why the keep saying it. I don`t know if Ronnie is beatable in form, Roger Federer wasn`t and Tiger Woods wasn`t. If everyone plays their best snooker Ronnie wins every time. Someone has got to be the best and it`s Ronnie by a long shot!

Postby Skullman

Anyway, some observations from the venue. I won't talk much about the table 1 matches as I'm assuming you've seen them or found out what happened already.

Not much to say about Higgins v Woollaston. Bit of a scrap, with both running out of position and missing easy balls. Higgins had more luck, as Ben had some unlucky fouls, while Higgins had a couple of helpful flukes. Ben won the more fluent frames, but if he didn't take the frame in two visits or less,he ended up losing. Higgins really didn't show much until the last frame. If he plays like that against Marco, he's going home after losing another quarter final.

Gilbert v Perry was very good to watch and very fast. Think it barely lasted an hour,with Perry making big breaks. The one frame Gilbert won he was on a max, but played for pink on 65 (guess he didn't realise). Didn't matter in the end as he missed the third last red. I'd say it's 50/50 between Judd and Perry based on today's performances, maybe 55/45 in Perry's favour.

Just want to add Allen looked pretty solid and there were a surprising number of people who asked Fergal for an autograph after the match.

No need to talk about ROS's match I'm guessing as I'm sure you've discussed it as much as you're going to.

Hamilton v Greene was quite slow but pretty absorbing and I'm not sure how it took so long as there were loads of big breaks and didn't feel like the chances took ages to come. It was a good comeback from Greene, but Hamilton definitely choked from 3-1 up.

Postby Andy Spark

Andre147 PGC wrote:
Andy Spark wrote:
Wildey wrote:Don't give a toss about the bookies lets hope other players take note that Ronnie at 93% pot success is beatable.

That wasn't really my point, my point is that it is now so long since Ronnie last lost a proper long format match (pre Dr Peters) that losses in best of 7's etc have less and less significance on his chances at the long format Worlds.

Yeah and like Ronnie said post-match interview sometimes you need defeats like this to know you can't take things for granted, not saying Ronnie took him for granted but this defeat won't harm Ronnie's chances at the Worlds, far far from it.

It's a total diferent ball game the long frame format, and it will take a very inspired performance from someone to knock Ronnie out of the Worlds.

Yes, it's strange really that in some ways it's a good thing for Ronnie to lose, it sort of reacquainted him with pressure.

If Ronnie had won all his matches easily and won yet another title then I believe he would be in a dominant position at start of the Worlds akin to Hendry's 90-91 season. Stephen failed there to respond to the pressure of Steve James in a tight finish to their quarter-final; my own theory, but I think if Stephen had lost a couple more tight finishes that season then it would have equipped him better for the 11-11 tight finish.

Postby Andre147

Andy Spark wrote:
Andre147 PGC wrote:
Andy Spark wrote:

Yeah and like Ronnie said post-match interview sometimes you need defeats like this to know you can't take things for granted, not saying Ronnie took him for granted but this defeat won't harm Ronnie's chances at the Worlds, far far from it.

It's a total diferent ball game the long frame format, and it will take a very inspired performance from someone to knock Ronnie out of the Worlds.

Yes, it's strange really that in some ways it's a good thing for Ronnie to lose, it sort of reacquainted him with pressure.

If Ronnie had won all his matches easily and won yet another title then I believe he would be in a dominant position at start of the Worlds akin to Hendry's 90-91 season. Stephen failed there to respond to the pressure of Steve James in a tight finish to their quarter-final; my own theory, but I think if Stephen had lost a couple more tight finishes that season then it would have equipped him better for the 11-11 tight finish.

Very good point, I also think Hendry would have done better, possibly even defend that Worlds if he hadn't had such a great season but all theories.

Ronnie too will be fresher than most players at the Crucible cause he won't travel to China, and I'm glad he skipped that.

Postby TheRocket

Sometimes a defeat can be really good. It just gives you the incentive to do more, to practice more. Ronnie played not bad today but still lost and this could be a wakening call too for him to see that even he must always give 100% into every shot and match to win these matches and titles.

Postby Roland

What a great match that was tonight from Ronnie and Delu. It had everything - a brilliant opening frame, an entertaining exchange of fluked snookers at the end of frame 2, a show of nerve from Delu for 2-1, brilliance from Ronnie for 3-2 and an absolutely stunning do or die bottle plant from Delu in the decider. The only shame is he missed that black and allowed Ronnie to miss the red to middle but let's face it, it's nice to see Ronnie show his human side by not producing the big dish for once when it looked a cert.