Topic locked

Wyldecrest Parks PTC Grand Final Last 16 Discussion !!

Postby Wildey

Image Image Image
Tuesday 25th ~ Saturday 29th of March at the Guild Hall Preston

The last 16 gets underway and defending champion Ding Junhui was a shock loser to Ben Woollaston, last year's runner up Neil Robertson was also a casualty to the man in form Shaun Murphy and World no 2 Mark Selby has suffered a 4-0 defeat to David Gilbert. But World Champion Ronnie O'Sullivan, Judd Trump, John Higgins and Mark Williams is safely through to the last 16.

Who will reach the Quarter Finals?

DRAW

Last 16

Mark Allen v Fergal O'Brien O'Brien leads 2-0
Anthony Hamilton v Gerard Greene Hamilton leads 2-1
John Higgins v Ben Woollaston Higgins leads 1-0
Marco Fu v Mark Williams Williams leads 12-11
------------------------------------------
Ronnie O'Sullivan v Yu De Lu O'Sullivan leads 1-0
Barry Hawkins v Ryan Day 7-7
Shaun Murphy v Judd Trump Trump leads 15-6
Joe Perry v David Gilbert 3-3

ORDER OF PLAY

Re: Wyldecrest Parks PTC Grand Final Last 16 Discussion !!

Postby Wildey

Thursday 27th of March

1pm

John Higgins v Ben Woollaston
Marco Fu v Mark Williams Eurosport

NB 2pm

Joe Perry v David Gilbert
Mark Allen v Fergal O'Brien Eurosport

7pm

Ronnie O'Sullivan v Yu De Lu Eurosport
Anthony Hamilton v Gerard Greene

NB 8pm

Shaun Murphy v Judd Trump Eurosport
Barry Hawkins v Ryan Day

Postby Skullman

En route to Preston. Doubt I'll be posting much until Saturday. Looks like there's at least one decent match every session today and I'm loving that the quarters are essentially roll on roll off tomorrow.

Postby SnookerFan

Skullman wrote:En route to Preston. Doubt I'll be posting much until Saturday. Looks like there's at least one decent match every session today and I'm loving that the quarters are essentially roll on roll off tomorrow.

Wear a T-Shirt that says; "I'm Skullman", so we know who you are.

Postby jojo

to be honest i can see ronnie o sullivan dominating the next five years at least he will probably win about sixty per cent of the tournaments he enters and it lucky for the so called top players of today he only entering a few tournaments here and there

since hearn give people the choice of entering events this has freed ronnie and put his mind more at ease no more im quitting the game im fed up bull now he choosing the events he play and he playing with so much freedom

i cant see many if any challenging him to be honest it not their fault really because ronnie is a freak of nature

he will win the world championship possibly only higgins can challenge him if they meet selby has a very outside chance of challenging him and i cant see anyone else getting close to him

Postby jojo

as for judd passing the torch back what utter bull he never had the torch in the first place ha

i remember near the end of 2011 early 2012 bbc journalist started writing ronnies snooker obituary what utter morons just trying to think of something to write to fill in the gap and show they jobsworth since then judd has won very little especially compared to ronnie who has won two world titles one masters and at least two other ranking events despite entering far fewer events than judd and everyone else

it there for all to see i dont think the top players of today are a patch on the big four of around fifteen years ago hendry williams higgins ronnie then you had really strong back up players like stevens doherty lee now the standard at the top is lower yet ronnie is a better all round player than he was fifteen years ago

Postby Wildey

is he better? or hes been made to look better?

with respect to Ding during the welsh final i can think of 20 players off the top of my head from yester year that would have done a better job than ding did with the chances he had.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Wildey wrote:is he better? or hes been made to look better?

with respect to Ding during the welsh final i can think of 20 players off the top of my head from yester year that would have done a better job than ding did with the chances he had.

Ronnie has no weakness at the moment. He turned his only weakness - the long potting - into one of his strengths. Mentally he's stronger than ever, so that's why he's a better all round player now, even better than in 2007/08 or 2001, 2004.

Postby jojo

wild i agree with snooker overdrive he is mentally far stronger than before

tactically he is far better than around fifteen years ago even though his long potting is still a bit hit and miss if im honest but the sad thing is it doesnt matter if his long potting is hit and miss when nobody else is capable of taking advantage and the reason why they cant take advantage is mental barrier and the reason for the mental barrier is because ronnie has beaten these players time and time again especially on the big occasion and he earn these battle scars over them

it work both ways because hendry and davis had it before him the mental block over other players and they won a fair few of their matches and tournaments because of this it something which is earned over time accumulated not just a given

davis and hendry earn that and ronnie has earned that look what he doing to other so called top players who age wise should be in their prime ronnie is killing them it like a man against a boy it silly

Postby jojo

ding had chances but ronnie has a mental block over him much like white had chances against hendry and davis and they both had a mental edge over him because they accumulated that over time

it not about slating white or ronnies rivals today it more a realistic reason why davis and hendry won so many titles yes they were the best players of their time but it became easier for them to beat the same players again and again because of the mental barrier they earn

ronnie has done that now to todays rivals and a lot of his wins have become repetitive even if it something like 8-8 in a best of 19 against someone like murphy ding trump maguire etc etc 9 times out of 10 ronnie will win because the others will crack against him because of the history

a lot of my reasoning is common sense it not rocket science

Postby Wildey

but players are not taking their chances Higgins 5 years ago would have, Williams 10 years ago would have, Hendry 15 years ago would have and Davis 20 years ago would have.

its easy to play to a higher standard or mentally stronger if players around you aren't steeping up to the mark.

were not talking about players ranked 100, 50 or 25 these are players ranked 2nd or 3rd

Ronnie despite what people think is not playing snooker from another planet hes beatable like every one else but top players have a mental block against him which as a snooker fan is depressing.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Wildey wrote:but players are not taking their chances Higgins 5 years ago would have, Williams 10 years ago would have, Hendry 15 years ago would have and Davis 20 years ago would have.

its easy to play to a higher standard or mentally stronger if players around you aren't steeping up to the mark.

were not talking about players ranked 100, 50 or 25 these are players ranked 2nd or 3rd

Ronnie despite what people think is not playing snooker from another planet hes beatable like every one else but top players have a mental block against him which as a snooker fan is depressing.

You make it sound like Ding or Selby were only a couple of shots away from beating Ronnie this year. Ronnie still had a lot of breathing space, even if these two would have taken their chances more efficiently. The truth is, Ronnie is far ahead of all the other top players the way he's playing at the moment. But things can change quickly and if Ronnie is only on his B game like in the Champion of Champions or the UK, things are getting close...

Postby jojo

but that partly the point im making wild i did say the big four play to a higher standard fifteen years ago than the big four today apart from ronnie who is better

ronnie won his fair share of titles in that era and people like higgins hendry williams from that era and davis from the eighties would have challenged him far more if they were at their peak now compared to some of the plastic rubbish from todays so called top players who dont have much between their ears

williams started bending over for ronnie from about 2004 but before then he was more than matching him and if he was still at that standard today as he was around fifteen years ago williams would have been wiping the floor against most of todays generation and the same can be said for higgins who a mental animal

Postby Wildey

take the welsh final there was 3 frames where Ding had more than enough chances to win had he taken them instead of 9-3 it would have been 6-6 and all to play for.

and as for the masters final well Ronnie leading 7-1 was flattering Selby was way off the pace in a major final...it just shows how far ahead of everyone Ronnie is at the moment but its not because of his brilliant play and not even close to it....

Postby jojo

look at the so called top players over the last couple of years against ronnie especially in the big matches the likes of murphy maguire robertson selby ding just to name a few even if it does get close ronnie has that mental edge which nine times out of ten takes him over the line

a classic example is the german open final against maguire who was awesome but ronnie was much more comfortable at the business end of the match than maguire and that because of the psychological edge he has against him

Postby Andy Spark

boris_the_butcher wrote:Poor Judd, most decent players do beat him these days. He's passing the 'Torch' back it seems.

Yes, the trouble was at the time Clive Everton and Dave Hendon were so into their "player decline and incline correlating with age" theory that they swore by it. They thought it was simple, if you're 22 you incline, if you're 35 you decline. All due respect to Clive and Dave, but it just ain't that simple, there are many other factors.

Postby jojo

i agree wild people like peak higgins hendry williams and davis would have challenged ronnie far more than todays players and that in a way does make ronnie look better than he is

but i still say ronnie is a better all round player than fifteen years ago because he has better shot selection and tactical awareness and that is not including anything about the mental edge he been building over other players of today

Postby Wildey

BTW i do get that some players hold a mental edge over others im just disappointing its players in the top 4 in the world that Ronnie has the edge over mentally.

any way back to this afternoon.

John Higgins 0-0 Ben Woollaston
Marco Fu 1-0 Mark Williams