Post a reply

The 16 Seeds for the World Championships

Postby PLtheRef

After today's Final, Snookerbacker has mentioned that according to the arithmetic we have our 16 qualifiers for the Crucible

Obviously the PC Finals can change the order of seeds 2 to 16 but with only a maximum of 3000 points up for grabs. The following 16 players will be seeded for the first round.

1 Ronnie O'Sullivan
2 Neil Robertson
3 Mark Selby
4 Ding Junhui
5 Stuart Bingham
6 Barry Hawkins
7 Judd Trump
8 Shaun Murphy
9 Marco Fu
10 Stephen Maguire
11 John Higgins
12 Ricky Walden
13 Mark Davis
14 Ali Carter
15 Mark Allen
16 Joe Perry

Some interesting names missing there

Re: The 16 Seeds for the World Championships

Postby PLtheRef

Skullman wrote:For the record, only seeds 3 to 16 can change, as Robbo is now uncatchable.

That'd make a good finale.

If All 16 seeds stayed the same and won their First Round games then the provisional Last 16 Draw is

O'Sullivan v Perry
Fu v Murphy
Bingam v Walden
Davis v Ding
Selby v Carter
Higgins v Hawkins
Trump v Maguire
Allen v Robertson

Postby Wildey

Skullman wrote:Bottom quarter looks deadly. As does the top quarter.

only 1 player can be World Champion so it doesent matter if you meet in the last 16, Quarter Final or Final just put everyone else to bed.

Postby Andre147

Wildey wrote:

only 1 player can be World Champion so it doesent matter if you meet in the last 16, Quarter Final or Final just put everyone else to bed.

True, but a player certainly wouldn't want to be against major contenders for the title in every round, but I know what you mean, if you want to win the biggest title of them all be prepared to beat top quality opposition or else go home :wave:

Postby Wildey

there's 127 failures in every tournament and just 1 success.

i fear for players who think too much about the draw and who they want to face its a defeatist attitude before you reach the table.

Postby Andy Spark

Maybe, but if the draw stays like that then Ronnie fans will be happy. :-)

Postby GJ

Wildey wrote:there's 127 failures in every tournament and just 1 success.

i fear for players who think too much about the draw and who they want to face its a defeatist attitude before you reach the table.

I'm starting to agree , any proper contender should just take 1 match at a time and not worry about 2/3 matches ahead.

Robbo says he never looks at his draw.

Postby SnookerFan

GJ wrote:
I'm starting to agree , any proper contender should just take 1 match at a time and not worry about 2/3 matches ahead.

Robbo says he never looks at his draw.

I'm always skeptical of people who say that.

It doesn't help to obsess over the draw, but I find it difficult to believe he goes into each match with absolutely no idea who he might play next.

Then again, it is Robbo. Half the time he's not awake 15 minutes before his matches start. <laugh>

Postby Wildey

im sure they look at the draw But title contenders shouldn't give a stuff who they will face in the last 16, Quarter Final or Final its all about Winning.

Postby Andre147

Wildey wrote:im sure they look at the draw But title contenders shouldn't give a stuff who they will face in the last 16, Quarter Final or Final its all about Winning.

Yes absolutely.

Unless you're Mark Williams for instance when he knows he's about to face Ronnie <laugh> :wave:

Postby PLtheRef

Wildey wrote:im sure they look at the draw But title contenders shouldn't give a stuff who they will face in the last 16, Quarter Final or Final its all about Winning.

See your point, but lets be truthful, there is going to be some kind of wavering eye at certain areas of the draw. Truthfully, if your Seeded 16th and (though granted more than a little unlikely) Ronnie finishes Saturday morning 8-1 behind then you're bound to have some sort of glance

That's as far fetched as it goes and I know that but the premise is going to be the same. Take the 16 seeds as they currently are is the way they end up. Allen obviously will have it in mind that SHOULD he win his first round match then there is a chance that he'll likely be meeting Robertson in the last 16. Suddenly, Robertson gets beat and he'd be forgiven for giving the quarter-finals the odd glance.

Take the top half of the 2000 Championship as an example. Before play began a Semi-Final between Hendry and O'Sullivan was widely expected that few gave glances to the other 14 in the top half. By Monday both are out and people are talking up unlikely candidates who suddenly turn their eye to the prize.

Postby PLtheRef

Also btw, They shoudn't give a stuff of who they face, absolutely, the quality of opposition doesn't mean you don't need to win 71 frames to become champion, but it does play a part. You become champion beating five men outside the top 16 and it will be noticed compared to beating four top 16 players and a qualifier

Postby Roland

O'Sullivan v Perry
Fu v Murphy
Bingam v Walden
Davis v Ding
Selby v Carter
Higgins v Hawkins
Trump v Maguire
Allen v Robertson

Just seeing that whets the appetite. Unfortunately the draw will change but given the choice I'd freeze it as it stands. Allen will potentially face a tournament favourite in round 2 whatever happens in Preston. You see Ronnie having Joe Perry and you know it'll be 13-5 or similar but if Mark Allen dropped to 16...

But there will be a quarter of death which as that provisional draw stands is Trump, Maguire, Robertson and Allen.

Postby Andre147

Sonny wrote:O'Sullivan v Perry
Fu v Murphy
Bingam v Walden
Davis v Ding
Selby v Carter
Higgins v Hawkins
Trump v Maguire
Allen v Robertson

Just seeing that whets the appetite. Unfortunately the draw will change but given the choice I'd freeze it as it stands. Allen will potentially face a tournament favourite in round 2 whatever happens in Preston. You see Ronnie having Joe Perry and you know it'll be 13-5 or similar but if Mark Allen dropped to 16...

But there will be a quarter of death which as that provisional draw stands is Trump, Maguire, Robertson and Allen.

If Ronnie were to face Allen in the Last 16 it would be a great match, and even considering Allen did beat Ronnie at that same stage in 2009, if it happened again I'm pretty sure Ronnie wouldn't get upset, the match would be close but Ronnie would prevail something like 13-10. And in a way that might help Ronnie focus even more on the task at hand because if he faces Perry... let's be honest I don't think Joe could push Ronnie far there, and sometimes when the top players have it too easy in early rounds they may get surprised by an inspired performance from another player in latter rounds, like Fu or Bingo there.

But despite all that I certainly wouldn't say no to the draw as it stands like you said.

Postby Andre147

Snooker Overdrive wrote:In 2012 we had a of the quarter of death with Ding, Allen, Fu, Hawkins and Selby.

The player who got through was Matthew Stevens.

Haha quite right SO <ok> <laugh>

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Andre147 PGC wrote:
Fu v Murphy
Bingam v Walden
Davis v Ding
Selby v Carter
Higgins v Hawkins
Trump v Maguire
Allen v Robertson

If Ronnie were to face Allen in the Last 16 it would be a great match, and even considering Allen did beat Ronnie at that same stage in 2009, if it happened again I'm pretty sure Ronnie wouldn't get upset, the match would be close but Ronnie would prevail something like 13-10. And in a way that might help Ronnie focus even more on the task at hand because if he faces Perry... let's be honest I don't think Joe could push Ronnie far there, and sometimes when the top players have it too easy in early rounds they may get surprised by an inspired performance from another player in latter rounds, like Fu or Bingo there.

But despite all that I certainly wouldn't say no to the draw as it stands like you said.

There's absolutely no reason to be scared of Mark Allen. I'm not even sure if he could get close to Ronnie at the moment, like you suggested. OK, he had a good run in Haikou, but he even won it the last 2 years and still lost to qualifiers in the first round. From what I have seen in the UK and the Masters this season and his recent results in general, Allen is a worse player now than he was just a couple of years ago.

My point is: if Ronnie is on his game, he will blow Allen away especially if he doesn't produce his World Open form.

Postby Alex0paul

Fu v Murphy
Bingam v Walden
Davis v Ding
Selby v Carter
Higgins v Hawkins
Trump v Maguire
Allen v Robertson

If the draw stays like that then I really fancy Ding and Higgins doing well. Not many real contenders to win it this year sadly.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Alex0paul wrote:
Fu v Murphy
Bingam v Walden
Davis v Ding
Selby v Carter
Higgins v Hawkins
Trump v Maguire
Allen v Robertson

If the draw stays like that then I really fancy Ding and Higgins doing well. Not many real contenders to win it this year sadly.

I agree with you on Ding, I think it's an advantage to be seeded 4th instead of 3rd this year but I don't know about Higgins. Hawkins is very tough opponent and that's just the last 16.

Postby Alex0paul

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Alex0paul wrote:
Fu v Murphy
Bingam v Walden
Davis v Ding
Selby v Carter
Higgins v Hawkins
Trump v Maguire
Allen v Robertson

I agree with you on Ding, I think it's an advantage to be seeded 4th instead of 3rd this year but I don't know about Higgins. Hawkins is very tough opponent and that's just the last 16.

I think Hawkins will struggle after last year. Since 2004 only Murphy and Dott have reached a quarter final the year after finishing runner up.
Last edited by Alex0paul on 19 Mar 2014, edited 1 time in total.

Postby PLtheRef

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Alex0paul wrote:
Fu v Murphy
Bingam v Walden
Davis v Ding
Selby v Carter
Higgins v Hawkins
Trump v Maguire
Allen v Robertson

Hawkins is very tough but youd fancy Higgins over 25 frames. Particularly when theres a lot of expectation on Hawkins to have a good run.

Also this is the first time since 1996 that Higgins is seeded away from the top 8

Postby Roland

I've not studied the outcomes but now's the time because there's only one more event left in the PTC finals or whatever it's called this year before the seeded 16 draw is known. Ronnie and Robbo in opposite halves is the only certainty

Postby SnookerFan

Sonny wrote:I've not studied the outcomes but now's the time because there's only one more event left in the PTC finals or whatever it's called this year before the seeded 16 draw is known. Ronnie and Robbo in opposite halves is the only certainty

It'd be good if that's the final.

Especially as I suspect Ronnie will get to the final again, it'd be good to see somebody who could give him a good game.

Alright, you could argue Hawkins gave him a decent enough game, but the result was never in doubt.

Postby roy142857

Sonny wrote:I've not studied the outcomes but now's the time because there's only one more event left in the PTC finals or whatever it's called this year before the seeded 16 draw is known. Ronnie and Robbo in opposite halves is the only certainty

Yes largely so, although Dīng Jùnhuī and Mark Selby can't be in the same half of the draw as each other as Bingham can't overtake them so they're guaranteed to be 3rd or 4th. And Perry and Carter both certain to be drawn to face one of the top 4 in the 2nd round. And the players from Bingham down to Higgins can't slip back and end up playing one of the top 4 in the second round.

Postby Wildey

i think its ridiculous that the cut off isnt until after the China Open then the likes of Williams and Dott would be in the mix to be seeded and make the china open special instead of a warm up.