Post a reply

Bookies Running Scared Of Ronnie!

Postby SlowJoe

After winning the world title last year Ronnie was best priced 11/2 to win in 2014. Throughout the season he has been cut to 5/1 9/2 3/1 after the Masters then 2/1 then best price 6/4 after the Welsh. I`ve backed him at all those prices. While i`m more than delighted at most of the prices surely 6/4 (5/4 with most bookies is a bit short? but can you really see anyone playing well enough to get even close to him?

Re: Bookies Running Scared Of Ronnie!

Postby Andy Spark

I think around 6/4 or 7/4 is probably correctly priced. I saw it when it was 4/1 months earlier and thought it was a big mistake from the bookies, now they agree with me. I think the value may be in Robertson 8/1, who is in the opposite half of the draw, quite cheap IMO. If Robbo gets to the final to play Ronnie when Ronnie looks like he's flying then you can always take your money and run.

Postby vodkadiet

Terrible price. Even if he wins the event he is bound to be behind in a match at some point and will be a much bigger price in running.

Postby Roland

He always used to be too short on odds, in fact he was always the worst player to bet on because he'd win a match by romping it then next match not turn up and lose heavily. Nowadays he's more consistent so is actually worth putting money on although as Vodka says he'll end up being longer in running at some point.

Postby Andy Spark

Well, lets put it this way, Ronnie's thrashed everyone he's played in the last two tournaments he's entered and you have to go way back to 2011 before you find him losing a single proper long format match. If I was a bookie who'd taken loads of money at odds like 11/2 or 4/1, I'd be running scared too. I don't blame them for this "terrible price" at all, they have justification to be scared.

Postby Simone

Watching a bit snooker from the Haikou World Open, I certainly think they should be a running scared of Mark Allen. Even if the standards are so sky high, and the way Un-Nooh or Trump has came out, but never has quiet see anyone playing so well as Allen. Every deparment of his game is a spot on, and that´s down to the extrem natural talent he seemingly posses, a similar to Ronnie.

I agree with Jose Mourinho´s thoughts and philosophy as when he sometimes gives comments that best team didn´t won. No matter how well Murphy obviously played there too.. But now let´s took this 127 where he opened a match against Dunn http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWVt7IFrxkw I personally think that´s the way centuries should be made of. Obviously a bit of a pointless comment since like I pointed out because of his extrem natural talent. As usual, all the time he just keeps up making a right shot selections. And that final blue 11:30 to manouvere the cue ball back to the pink is basically as difficult as it just gets, and he gets that one 100% spot on, too.

Postby Roland

Without wishing to sound harsh because I like him as a player and he's not a bad lad at all, his physical condition at the moment says to me at the business end of the tournament he may start to falter if he comes up against a modern day grinder who tests his powers of concentration. The deeper you go into the tournament the higher the quality of opponent so I'm talking your Hawkins, Selby, Fu and Robbo type player.

If he did a Murphy and got a bit more into shape I would have him down as a serious contender. I also think if he's seeded 16 which I hope he is, he could prove a stern test for Ronnie in round 2. Maybe from his run in Haikou he's higher now but there was talk of him maybe having to qualify this year.

Yes Simone that's a great 127 total clearance and shows Mark Allen's style in one break. He had a couple of lapses to lose the white but showed his bottle and talent in regaining the situation. That was a very tough frame ball he potted. A 127 total clearance obviously points to black being tied up or white travelling around the table a lot to lose 20 points along the way.

Postby Andy Spark

Yes, Mark Allen needs to hit the gym. His physical condition is a disadvantage that would be ok in 1985 when most were out of shape, but in 2014 people are starting to understand that the body is the temple of the mind; if you ruin the temple then your mind suffers and your snooker standard will then suffer.
Last edited by Andy Spark on 30 Mar 2014, edited 2 times in total.

Postby vodkadiet

Andy Spark wrote:Yes, Mark Allen needs to hit the gym. His physical condition is a disadvantage that would be ok in 1985 when most were out of shape, but in 2014 people are starting to understand that the body is the temple of the mind; if you ruin the temple then your mind suffers and your snooker standard will then suffer.

Yes, Allen's diet is apparently atrocious. He hasn't the stamina to last the Crucible format.