Post a reply

When will we see back to back 147's in pro play?

Within 5 years
15%
Within 15 years
15%
Within 30 years
8%
Some time in the distant future
8%
Never
54%

Total votes : 13

Back To back 147's

Postby Andy Spark

I have my own views on this, but just curious how others see it. Will we ever see back to back 147's and if so when?
Last edited by Andy Spark on 15 Mar 2014, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Back To back 147's

Postby Ayrshirebhoy

No chance, way too many variables. I could see 2 in one match but back to back would be impossible. What's your views andy?

Postby Andre147

But what do you mean by "back to back 147s"? Does it mean in sucessive frames? Or if for instance a player makes one to win a match 5-2 and then makes another in his next match first frame, would you also consider that back to back?

I guess you are refering to the same match aren't you? If so, at the moment can't see it happening, but I chose within 15 years time, maybe.

Postby Andy Spark

Andre147 PGC wrote:But what do you mean by "back to back 147s"? Does it mean in sucessive frames? Or if for instance a player makes one to win a match 5-2 and then makes another in his next match first frame, would you also consider that back to back?

I guess you are refering to the same match aren't you? If so, at the moment can't see it happening, but I chose within 15 years time, maybe.

I mean 147's in successive frames.

Postby Andy Spark

Ayrshirebhoy wrote:No chance, way too many variables. I could see 2 in one match but back to back would be impossible. What's your views andy?

My view is it depends on how they change the game. They have a habit (a good one) of making things more difficult by changing technical specs like pocket size, tighter pockets would make it almost impossible to make the back to back 147's. However if they don't change things too much then back to back 147's will probably occur at some stage, I would guess within 30 years.

Postby PLtheRef

Andy Spark wrote:
Andre147 PGC wrote:But what do you mean by "back to back 147s"? Does it mean in sucessive frames? Or if for instance a player makes one to win a match 5-2 and then makes another in his next match first frame, would you also consider that back to back?

I mean 147's in successive frames.

Not covinced that this will happen in 2 frames in a match. It certainly seems plausible that someone could complete a 5-2 win with a 147 in one round and open up with a 147 in the next match. Higgins did it in back to back matches I remember, in the LG Cup Final against Williams and then in the Last 32 of the British Open against Mike Judge

The day's coming closer. 2 147s in a match is and always will remain unlikely, but its no longer an impossibility

Postby Wildey

your on such a high after making a max that i believe its impossible to do that twice in a match never mind in back to back frames however doing 2 max in the same tournament is a very probable scenario within 5 years.

Postby Andy Spark

Wildey wrote:your on such a high after making a max that i believe its impossible to do that twice in a match never mind in back to back frames however doing 2 max in the same tournament is a very probable scenario within 5 years.

Maybe, but remember Ronnie got to about 80 (following a 147) on his quest for back to back 147's a few years ago. In this case I suspect the high he got from the previous 147 served as inspiration.

Postby Andre147

Wildey wrote:your on such a high after making a max that i believe its impossible to do that twice in a match never mind in back to back frames however doing 2 max in the same tournament is a very probable scenario within 5 years.

2 on same tourney by same player definately possible, and 2 by same player in one match... well it's difficult, but if it's a long session match the chances increase, so who knows... But yeah in sucessive frames... well that would be something pretty special, I chose within 15 years but just a mere guess really, but given how fast the game is developing who knows how snooker will be in 15 years time.

Postby Andre147

Andy Spark wrote:

Maybe, but remember Ronnie got to about 80 (following a 147) on his quest for back to back 147's a few years ago. In this case I suspect the high he got from the previous 147 served as inspiration.

Sory, but which match was that?

Postby boris_the_butcher

Andre147 PGC wrote:
Andy Spark wrote:

Sory, but which match was that?

Against Adam Duffy in a PTC back in 2011.

Postby rocketronnie147

it will come down to not only massive skill, but a massive stroke of luck. I picked never, but in reality, I think it will happen at some point. The reason I say this is that at some point (who knows how long from now), someone will get a 147 and then they will get the opening they need to get another 147.....mathematically speaking, it will probably happen but I wouldn't bet on it happening any time soon! To get back 2 back 147's, luck will be as much a factor as skill (i know this sounds weird, but think about it).

Postby Roland

Well funnily enough Luca Brecel has just made a 147 and then missed brown in the next frame when on 125 in a Belgian ranking event. So it is something that could happen.

Is Luca the next Michael Van Gerwin after his 17 perfect darts?

Postby Holden Chinaski

Sonny wrote:Well funnily enough Luca Brecel has just made a 147 and then missed brown in the next frame when on 125 in a Belgian ranking event. So it is something that could happen.

Is Luca the next Michael Van Gerwin after his 17 perfect darts?

I just wanted to post this. Luca almost did it!

Postby vodkadiet

It is unlikely.

The stats bear this out. O'Sullivan has made 12 in his entire career, which spans 22 seasons.

However, the tables play easier in this day and age, which increases the chances of it happening.

I remember Cliff Thorburn saying he made 3 maximums in a day once, but that was in practice, which doesn't really count.

Postby Andy Spark

Sonny wrote:Well funnily enough Luca Brecel has just made a 147 and then missed brown in the next frame when on 125 in a Belgian ranking event. So it is something that could happen.

That's a pity, he was supposed to pot the last 4 balls to perfectly illustrate my point! :irk:

But what a talented guy, he can't possibly drop off the tour, he's too good.

Postby TheRocket

I would be happy if a players manages it to make two maxs over a match, could probably only happen at the World due to longer distance. But back to back? Don't think, we ever gonna see this.

Postby PLtheRef

Andy Spark wrote:

That's a pity, he was supposed to pot the last 4 balls to perfectly illustrate my point! :irk:

But what a talented guy, he can't possibly drop off the tour, he's too good.

Have to admit that'd have been extraordinary if he'd have managed it.

Postby SnookerFan

Didn't John Higgins once make a 147 in the final frame to take a tournament, and then get a 147 in his first frame of his opening match in the next tournament?

Or is that just something I've just made up?

Postby Skullman

He made maxes in back to back matches (final of one, first round of the next) but he lost that final and the max was in the fifth frame, so not back to back.

Postby Skullman

By the way, does still count as back to back if both maxes weren't by the same player?

Postby SnookerFan

Skullman wrote:He made maxes in back to back matches (final of one, first round of the next) but he lost that final and the max was in the fifth frame, so not back to back.

That's right.

I thought I must've got that wrong. If he'd have done it the way I described it, it'd have been bigger news.

Postby roy142857

Skullman wrote:By the way, does still count as back to back if both maxes weren't by the same player?

Trading 147s ? Don't think it counts for this, but would be as good (better?)

Can't make my mind up what to answer so won't, but I like the topic! :-D

Postby Cannonball

Ronnie has vowed to retire within the next five years or so. So that's how long we've got to see if it can be done, 5 years or so. After that, probably never.

Postby Andre147

Trumpster wrote:Ronnie has vowed to retire within the next five years or so. So that's how long we've got to see if it can be done, 5 years or so. After that, probably never.

LOL as if Ronnie is the ONLY one capable of doing that... :chuckle: I agree that he sometimes seems to make 147s for fun, and he would be an obvious choice of a player capable of making back to back 147s, but there are other players out there who I think could achieve that should it ever happen, namely Ding.

Postby Cannonball

Ok, so if the bookies did odds, what odds would each player have then? It's not easy, doing back to back maxis, so I'd give 10/1 for Ronnie doing it before he retires. Ding, his remaining career is going to be more than the next five years, but he's only got half the talent of Ronnie at the moment (I should add that I really do hope he develops far more talent - lovely chap), so I'd have Ding at 20/1. 50/1 for the overated: Selby/Murphy/Judd/Allen etc.

So basically, it's :bowdown: Ronnie or no-one! :pompom:
Last edited by Cannonball on 18 Mar 2014, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Ayrshirebhoy

Trumpster wrote:Ronnie has vowed to retire within the next five years or so. So that's how long we've got to see if it can be done, 5 years or so. After that, probably never.

How can you say that when Luca brecel was a handful of balls away just the other day??

On a side note, when ronnie retires snooker will go on. Hope that doesn't shock you too much.

Postby Andre147

Ayrshirebhoy wrote:

How can you say that when Luca brecel was a handful of balls away just the other day??

On a side note, when ronnie retires snooker will go on. Hope that doesn't shock you too much.

Was just about to say the same <ok> Only because Ronnie has the most maxis in snooker history doesn't suddently mean he can be the only one capable of achieving that.

As I said above, Ding is a prime example of a player who I could definately see making back to back 147s.

Postby Cannonball

Luca did it in tin-pot event; big deal. Yeah, snooker will go on, but interest in the UK will decline. China will keep snooker going to be fair, but it will die a further death over here. Clubs are closing while Ronnie carries on, so god knows what happens when all the kids have to look up to is Selby.

There are 6 comments pages on here for the World Open, 24 pages for the Welsh Open. Ronnie wasn't at the World Open was he?!

Postby Roland

I heard a story that one time Judd was practicing with Ronnie at the Grove club, I don't know if they were playing each other or if Ronnie was another table, but in a session starting after lunch and lasting about 6-8 hours Ronnie knocked in something like, and this is where I can't actually remember the number, but it was around 10 or 12 maximums. Now that's something you can safely say only he is capable of.

I hope it's true and it's not something rubbish like 4 in 12 hours.

Ebdon and Jimmy White have both had 2 147s in the same exhibition. Possibly now I think about it Ebdon might have had 2 on the spin. In practice a few months ago Ding had 2 within a few frames of each other and was apparently grinning from ear to ear when he made the second but also had numerous other total clearances in the same session.

The thing is to do it on the match table in many ways you have to be in a position where you feel you can go for it at the risk of losing the frame, unless you make a perfect one where position to black is guaranteed off the most obvious red all the way to 73. It's a conscious decision to go for it especially if you're going for 2 in a match. How many players after making a 147 and get in first in the next frame will be thinking 147 again?