Post a reply

Should Bazza Cough up Appearance Dosh for Ronnie?

Postby Cannonball

On the eve of the Haikou Open ( :pompom:), the Daily Bash asks the key question: should big Baz cough up the dosh for Ronnie? Appearance money was ruled out a while back and the Daily Bash has no truck with it normally, World Champion or not. But are the snooker fans in China going to miss out on seeing the Genius this Spring because Baz won't dig deep in the snooker kitty? Let's put it this way; the Genius won't go on forever, and when he's gone, he's gone. All the money in the world won't buy a Tardis so we can go back and give Ronnie some money to appear in more competitions, or failing that, buy Ronnie a DeLorean so he can play all the major players throughout history, at the same time, and not only be the greatest of all time, but also have eternal, omnipotent, kick-ass domination, m-wah, hah, hah! Would it be right to make an exception for the exceptional and pay the maestro :piano: to appear at a few more open tournaments before he retires?

:dive:

Re: Should Bazza Cough up Appearance Dosh for Ronnie?

Postby NNear

Can't the individual tournaments themselves negotiate appearance fees?

Seems to happen often in tennis.. appearance fees reported to be above 1 million dollars on more than a few occasions for players like Federer and Nadal.

I don't know how it really works though.

Postby Wildey

Barry Hearn has said Ages ago that the Sport wont be coughing up any appearance fees for any player But hes not against Sponsors doing it.

Obviously the sponsors dont think hes worth it.

Postby Cloud Strife

I'm all for sponsors paying up appearance fees if that's what they want to. However, governing bodies should never pay monies to any individual regardless of how important that individual maybe.

Postby Andy Spark

Yes, sponsors could pay him. Depends how much they believe having Ronnie there is worth to them. But even if you can buy Ronnie's presence in these Chinese events you can't really buy his motivation to win. Ronnie usually plays better in Europe, but also when he's not overplayed generally, keeping him fresh and motivated.

Postby Wildey

Andy Spark wrote:Yes, sponsors could pay him. Depends how much they believe having Ronnie there is worth to them. But even if you can buy Ronnie's presence in these Chinese events you can't really buy his motivation to win. Ronnie usually plays better in Europe, but also when he's not overplayed generally, keeping him fresh and motivated.

Exactly

Sponsors or organizers would prefer to have motivated players at events not players that doesn't want to be there.

A Ronnie that cant be fussed is more damaging for Snooker than if he doesn't enter in the first place.

Postby vodkadiet

O'Sullivan should be given a million by Hearn for every shot he plays. He is worth it. Infact I think all of our taxes should go straight in to O'Sullivan's bank account. I won't rest until he is the richest man on the planet.

Postby Sickpotter

Wildey wrote:Barry Hearn has said Ages ago that the Sport wont be coughing up any appearance fees for any player But hes not against Sponsors doing it.

Obviously the sponsors dont think hes worth it.

I wouldn't say that necessarily, more likely they decided they can realize their desired numbers without resorting to paying extra for any one player.

If individual sponsors want to pony up appearance fees I see nothing wrong with it, it's their money.

Postby PLtheRef

Cloud Strife wrote:I'm all for sponsors paying up appearance fees if that's what they want to. However, governing bodies should never pay monies to any individual regardless of how important that individual maybe.

This.

Though it should be the prerogative for a sponsor to give out appearance monies, it can and only leads to some resentment from other players. Take the 2011 Power Snooker for instance

Postby Roland

Resentment from other players shouldn't be a factor, that's their problem. There's nothing wrong in sponsors paying appearance money but definitely not World Snooker, that won't ever happen.

Postby Cannonball

SnookerFan wrote:Who cares if Ronnie is there or not? The majority of Chinese fans can't afford the tickets to see him anyway. <laugh>

The majority of snooker fans across the globe and at tournament care. Good point about the ticket costs though.

Postby SnookerFan

Trumpster wrote:
The majority of snooker fans across the globe and at tournament care. Good point about the ticket costs though.

You see my point though. It's probably not going to bring in any more paying punters to the tournament. The reason they are not there is nothing to do with Ronnie, it's the fact that you need to be quote well off to be able to afford tickets.

If it will have minimal effect on tickets sales, why would they pay extra for Ronnie to turn up?

Postby Skullman

Well if they thought it would increase local television figures they might pay up. But with Ding and a whole host of other Chinese players in most Chinese events now, they should be alright on that front.

Postby SnookerFan

Dan-cat wrote:Because more people would watch the tourny on TV in China itself and around the world and therefore the sponsors would get more brand exposure. Look at what happens on here when Ronnie plays in a tournament.

True.

Though, as Skull pointed out, the Chinese watch in their millions when Ding et al play too.

If it was too happen, I reckon it'd be more likely in an event in the UK.

Postby Sickpotter

ROS brings in fans, there is no doubt.

What I do have doubts about is how much his being (or not being) at an event affects viewing/attendance.

Anyone have any year over year stats for an event that ROS played in one year and didn't the next?

TV viewing stats that is, that's what most sponsors would care about.