Post a reply

Re: BetVictor Welsh Open Final Discussion

Postby Wildey

Skullman wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:The 2 best players of the season started this final. Ronnie proved today that he's without a shadow of a doubt, the best player in the World and that by some distance.

Destroying Mark Selby and Ding Junhui in consecutive major finals is unbelievable.

When did the Welsh Open become a major?

When Ronnie wins them.

had Ronnie lost 9-3 it would be a tin pot event.

But fan twiddling aside

Ronnie is a awesome snooker player and i think he should be refereed to as the Greatest Player i still think Hendry's Consistent Level of Sustained play has never been equaled by anyone but that was over a 6 year period and i believe that Hendry would have beaten Ronnie today without question but Ronnie has managed to keep a high level up for 20+ years better than any other Player ive seen.

Postby vodkadiet

Opinions are just that. They have no relevance. Until O'Sullivan wins 8 World titles he isn't the best modern era player.

Postby Cloud Strife

Snooker Overdrive wrote:I knew Ronnie wouldn't make his 12th max in some PTC or something. And he couldn't have picked a much better occasion than this.

Well, not really.

The Crucible would have been a much more fitting place to break Hendry's record.

Postby TheRocket

Cloud Strife wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:I knew Ronnie wouldn't make his 12th max in some PTC or something. And he couldn't have picked a much better occasion than this.

Well, not really.

The Crucible would have been a much more fitting place to break Hendry's record.

Depends on which frame. I don't think, making a maximum in the third fourth or fifth frame at the Crucible match is more special than making it in the final frame of a ranking final to clinch the title.

Postby Andre147

Snooker Overdrive wrote:
Skullman wrote:
Snooker Overdrive wrote:The 2 best players of the season started this final. Ronnie proved today that he's without a shadow of a doubt, the best player in the World and that by some distance.

Destroying Mark Selby and Ding Junhui in consecutive major finals is unbelievable.

When did the Welsh Open become a major?

You know what I mean.

Yeah, some take things to much to the letter, of course Welsh Open is not a major but just a regular ranker, but beating both Selby and Ding in these circumstances the way he did is just awesome.

And no Wild at least on my part you would never ever hear from me that if Ronnie lost 9-3 it would have been a tin pot event, of course it isn't and for that matter it's one of the longest rankers in terms of history having started in 1992 I think it was when Hendry won it.

Postby Cloud Strife

Just over two years ago Ronnie was 4-0 down to Andrew Higginson in the first round of the German Masters. He hadn't won a title for ages and was coming off the back of his worst season ever. Many people were, the BBC included, ready to write his career obituary at that point.

For him to come from that position to where he is now is just unbelievable. I couldn't have imagined it.

Postby Cannonball

NNear wrote:Wildey's post sums it up:

Hendry has the dominance and Ronnie has the longevity.

Hendry's not in the same league, just like Higgins and MJW aren't. He's still good because he has the most natural talent ever seen. In a league of his own. But for the bad mental years, he's already have ten world titles. Fact.

Greatest ever. That 147 proves it.

Postby Andre147

Ronnie is the greatest player over an entire career for me because even after 22 years as a pro he is still winning titles and doing some breathtaking performances, Hendry was the best ever player for a decade and for a sustained period of time. What really is missing for Ronnie is a least equal Hendry's record of 7 world titles which I honestly don't think he will but 6 definately within his range.

But who knows if he keeps going like this for 2 or 3 more years... the man was just born to play snooker.

Postby Skullman

Cloud Strife wrote:Just over two years ago Ronnie was 4-0 down to Andrew Higginson in the first round of the German Masters. He hadn't won a title for ages and was coming off the back of his worst season ever. Many people were, the BBC included, ready to write his career obituary at that point.

For him to come from that position to where he is now is just unbelievable. I couldn't have imagined it.

Imagine if Higginson won that 5-0. Think Ronnie would've retired with Hendry at the Worlds.

Postby Andre147

Cloud Strife wrote:Just over two years ago Ronnie was 4-0 down to Andrew Higginson in the first round of the German Masters. He hadn't won a title for ages and was coming off the back of his worst season ever. Many people were, the BBC included, ready to write his career obituary at that point.

Absolutely, that match was the whole turning point to where he is now and he has risen from the ashes like the true champ he is. Had he lost that match I don't think he would have been in the position he is in today.

Postby Muppet147

I had no doubt Ronnie would pot 14 of the reds. But the one along the rail looked very difficult. Fantastic shot to pot it and get on the black (left handed or right handed.)

From there on, it was a foregone conclusion he would clear the colours.

Great way to sign off in a tournament he has completely dominated this year.

Provided he gets through the first couple of rounds at Sheffield, I can see him running through the opposition and winning his sixth world title.

Postby Cannonball

Who is this Hendry? Did he play snooker with Joe Davis in the 20th century?

Postby Andre147

Hendry on Twitter:

"Last red best shot I've seen"

:-D <ok>

I know many will consider that a bit nonsense, but it really is an awesome shot especially under the circumstances, playing left handed with perfect pace for perfect position on black.

For me won't say best ever shot I've seen, but definately in my top 10 at least.

Postby TheRocket

I don't know who's the greatest player of all time. Hendry,Davis,O'Sullivan,Higgins are all legends and anyone can have here a different opinion.

But what I know is that there is only one Ronnie O'Sullivan and there is no player like that and probably never will be in the future. Just the style the man plays this sport and the way he pulled off that maximum including that red with lefthanded deepscrew was unbelievable. The standard he procued this week was brillant. The man has just produced so many golden moments in Snooker over the last 20 years and today was one of this many moments.

bucking Legend

Postby Cloud Strife

TheRocket wrote:I don't know who's the greatest player of all time. Hendry,Davis,O'Sullivan,Higgins are all legends and anyone can have here a different opinion.

But what I know is that there is only one Ronnie O'Sullivan and there is no player like that and probably never will be in the future. Just the style the man plays this sport and the way he pulled off that maximum including that red with lefthanded deepscrew was unbelievable. The standard he procued this week was brillant. The man has just produced so many golden moments in Snooker over the last 20 years and today was one of this many moments.

bucking Legend

I've been a Ronnie fan for over 20 years. I hope he will keep on amazing us for another 20 years.

Postby Holden Chinaski

Andre147 PGC wrote:Hendry on Twitter:

"Last red best shot I've seen"

:-D <ok>

I know many will consider that a bit nonsense, but it really is an awesome shot especially under the circumstances, playing left handed with perfect pace for perfect position on black.

For me won't say best ever shot I've seen, but definately in my top 10 at least.

Hendry knows what he's talking about. That was an amazing shot.

Postby Cannonball

Davis, Hendry and Higgins, and eventually Ding (if he fulfills his promise) will be seen as greats who progressed the game. Ronnie however, will stand alone as a god of snooker, someone who in any area would simply be the best. Someone who plays above and beyond the game, on a different plane. Snooker is difficult and Ronnie makes it easy and look simple. I think he's the first cueist who is simply too good for snooker. They need to invent something more difficult for the grand master.

Postby Andre147

Just to think only a season ago hardly one player could win 2 rankers in same season or even 2 Big events on same season and look at where things stand at the moment. <laugh>

Postby hendry_fan

Trumpster wrote:

Hendry's not in the same league, just like Higgins and MJW aren't. He's still good because he has the most natural talent ever seen. In a league of his own. But for the bad mental years, he's already have ten world titles. Fact.

Greatest ever. That 147 proves it.

"Greatest ever. That 147 proves it".

Yeah right!. rofl one frame of snooker proves it,your the BIGGEST joke there is. rofl
Because Ronnie won this welsh open and made a *147*,(which is of course a brilliant feat,especially as it meant he broke Hendrys *147* record),that,that now proves that he,s the greatest. <laugh>

If anythings proof that Hendrys the GREATEST EVER,then it,s this mate=

Hendry= Ranking event finals: 57 (36 titles, 21 runner-ups),

Ronnie= Ranking event finals: 37 (26 titles, 11 runner-ups)

Hendrys won 10 more ranking titles and has been in 20 more ranking finals than Ronnie has.

Hendrys been in 9 world finals,Ronnies been in 5!.

I think you like many others don,t realise what it takes to win so many tournaments,reach so many finals as Hendry did!.

I,ll say it again,yes,Hendry stopped winning towards the latter part of his carreer,but that was mainly due to him spending more time doing other things,with his family,freinds,golf,poker,etc and due to not practicing as much as he once did.

His main goal was to beat Davises 7 world titles and he indeed managed to snatch that record from him,after that happened,he of course still wanted to win,but for sure not as much as in all the previous years that he dominated,no wonder he did,nt want to practice as much,after all he delivered throughout the 90,s,it,s no wonder he started to run out of steam,winning,dominating the length of time he did it for.
He said it himself that he became a bit lazy in his latter years.

What also some forget is up until Hendry retired,up until that very day at the age of 43,he still managed to produce decent,good,sometimes even very high standard of snooker,along with still being able to knock in BIG breaks,shoot centuries and he still managed to get to the odd latter parts of certain tournaments.

In fact up until he retired at 43,he really only had a problem competing against the top 8,against the rest of the crop he still managed to get the odd good win here n there and at that time the standard was higher that what the standard is at the moment.

The standard at the moment and lately in general apart from Ronnie/Ding has plunged,all this "the standards so high these days",is purre n utter rubbish,it,s said by many players but we all know full well that it just an excuse for when they lose,"i lost,cause it,s so tough out there,the standards so high theeeese daaaays," :td:

The truth is,the majority of the current crop just aren,t bloody good enough,there so incosistent,Ding and Ronnie have proved that it is possible to win more than 1 tournament theeessse days,it,s not so hard to do because the standards so high theeese days,if you,re good enough you can win,win more than the rest of the crop.

Ronnies full of motivation at present,he knows he has a chance to beat Hendrys amazing World titles and maybe even ranking titles tally,yes,full credit to him that he,s producing also good,very high,at times brilliant standard of snooker at present,but we,ll see how long he can keep it up,will he still be able to play decent,good,very good snooker when he,s into his 40,s,up till 43,like Hendry managed to do?,we,ll just have to wait n see,he,s in great form at present,but every one knows,form in snooker can suddenly plunge dramticaly,especially the older you get,who knows,maybe the form that Ronnies showed lately might plunge and by the time he gets to 40,he,ll start to loose in the 1st,2nd rounds,as i say,well just have to wait n see.

One could go on forever and ever,but i,ve said what i wanted to say and i,m not saying anything else on the matter,i,ve said enough,sure,every ones entitled to there opinions,but at the end of the day,it,s the facts that really do the speaking,here,once again are FACTS,the most important ones,....

Hendry= Ranking event finals: 57 (36 titles, 21 runner-ups),

Ronnie= Ranking event finals: 37 (26 titles, 11 runner-ups)

Hendrys won 10 more ranking titles and has been in 20 more ranking finals than Ronnie has.

Hendrys been in 9 world finals,Ronnies been in 5!.

Over and out. <ok>

Postby Andre147

hendry-fan just how many times will you put up those Hendry stats there... rofl

I lost count how many times you've made a testament in posting them... we all know them, so don't give a toss to what some say about Hendry, just ignore them and don't waste them writting a testament with all Hendry and Ronnie's stats.

Postby Snooker Overdrive

Well what can I say after an evening like this...

Just 3 years ago Ronnie lost here at the Welsh Open in the first round to Ryan Day 4-2. It was one of the most uninspiring performances I've ever seen from Ronnie, it was outright painful to watch.

I wonder how I would have reacted if someone had told me that day, that 3 years later Ronnie would hammer the player of the season Ding Junhui 9-3 in the final, make a 147 in the final frame and surpass John Higgins in the total ranking wins statistic.

I just wonder...

Postby Andre147

Snooker Overdrive wrote:Well what can I say after an evening like this...

Just 3 years ago Ronnie lost here at the Welsh Open in the first round to Ryan Day 4-2. It was one of the most uninspiring performances I've ever seen from Ronnie, it was outright painful to watch.

I wonder how I would have reacted if someone had told me that day, that 3 years later Ronnie would hammer the player of the season Ding Junhui 9-3 in the final, make a 147 in the final frame and surpass John Higgins in the total ranking wins statistic.

I just wonder...

Remember SO it all started after that comeback against Higginson from 4 nil down at the German Masters :-D :hatoff: :D

Since then he's never looked back.

Postby Cloud Strife

Andre147 PGC wrote:hendry-fan just how many times will you put up those Hendry stats there... rofl

I lost count how many times you've made a testament in posting them... we all know them, so don't give a toss to what some say about Hendry, just ignore them and don't waste them writting a testament with all Hendry and Ronnie's stats.

Hendry only won 36 of his 57 ranking finals that he appeared in. A very poor strike rate for a man of his supposed greatness.

Postby Witz78

Hendryfan...

When Hendry dominates its cos hes the GOAT?

When Ding / Ronnie have dominated its cos no-one else is stepping up to the plate?

Talk about making statements which are only based on your opinion !!

Trumpster...

I hope its Alex Higgins and not John your referring to as someone who changed snooker.

Postby Cannonball

Remind me of the best player Hendry played against again, Steve Davis. Try playing in an era of MJW, John HIggins, Hendry (back end of career), Shaun Murphy, Selby, Trump, Ding, Robbo. All of these players are better than the players Hendry played in. Hendry is a brilliant player, but he wasn't up against it like Ronnie has been. Jimmy White gave Hendry 3 world titles. And Ronnie has had to cope with a serious illness and he's doing it up to middle age. Hendry never took a shot with his left hand. Did he compile 147s with his wrong hand? Not in the same league as Ronnie.