Post a reply

One snooker record never achieved

Postby snooker_loopy

Snooker records get broken over a lengthy period of time. Steve Davis rewrote the records in the 1980s, Stephen Hendry did the same in the 1990s and just a few short months ago Ronnie rewrote the record for most points scored in a match without reply. His 2014 Masters match against Ricky Walden. But do you think any snooker player will ever make five century breaks in the best of nine match?* It's never happened. It's the one snooker record that would be up there with the most 147 breaks or most WC wins, don't you think? :-)

*Since Barry Hearn took over snooker there are less best of nine matches so I guess the chances of it ever happening are remote.

Re: One snooker record never achieved

Postby Roland

The unanswered points one is for statisticians because if the player at the time realises what's going on he'd just go to the table and pot one ball before conceding.

The most remarkable record which is on the brink of being achieved is Robbo scoring 100 centuries in a season. He's going all out for it and I hope he gets it because I don't think we'll ever see it happen again.

Robbo won a PTC match 4-0 with 4 centuries and I think he got a century at the end of the previous match too didn't he? That's 5 on the spin.

I want to see 3 total clearances in a row because that's one that hasn't happened ever since David Taylor did it in the early 80s.

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:The unanswered points one is for statisticians because if the player at the time realises what's going on he'd just go to the table and pot one ball before conceding.

The most remarkable record which is on the brink of being achieved is Robbo scoring 100 centuries in a season. He's going all out for it and I hope he gets it because I don't think we'll ever see it happen again.

Robbo won a PTC match 4-0 with 4 centuries and I think he got a century at the end of the previous match too didn't he? That's 5 on the spin.

I want to see 3 total clearances in a row because that's one that hasn't happened ever since David Taylor did it in the early 80s.

the telling thing is not that Robbo has almost made 100 but the fact hes almost scored double anyone else this season

Postby Roland

Well the thing is he's sacrificing frames in going for centuries, he sees it as a once in a lifetime chance to try and make 100 in a season so he's going full blooded for it. Fair play to him for that but that's why he's so far ahead, as well as being far ahead to start with to give him a chance of the 100.

Postby Witz78

Sonny wrote:The unanswered points one is for statisticians because if the player at the time realises what's going on he'd just go to the table and pot one ball before conceding.

I'm a tad confused at this ?

So if the player beats the record by potting one ball in a frame then instead of trying to extend the record of unanswered points he would just concede frame ??

Postby Skullman

Witz78 wrote:

I'm a tad confused at this ?

So if the player beats the record by potting one ball in a frame then instead of trying to extend the record of unanswered points he would just concede frame ??

Think what Sonny means is that if the opponent realises, they'll come back to table, if they can, just to pot a meaningless ball and reset the counter.

Postby Wildey

Skullman wrote:Not really a record you'd want to be on the receiving end of.

i dont think the unanswered points stat is something that concerned players much

Postby Roland

Well you don't want to be on the receiving end but then you're not aware when it's happening. Walden did have a couple of chances to pot an easy ball when Ronnie didn't dish but obviously didn't realise.

Postby Wildey

Sonny wrote:Well you don't want to be on the receiving end but then you're not aware when it's happening. Walden did have a couple of chances to pot an easy ball when Ronnie didn't dish but obviously didn't realise.

i dont think a player wants to be on the Wrong end of a 6-0 win full stop i think its easier to take if you haven't had a chance than 6 close frames.